Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: The Morning After The Night Before Edition

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Good:

JBud's wanted this... so here.
Three goal 2nd period?
Pouliot with another one of "those" plays that fall out of his bag of tricks every now and then.
The forward shuffle worked! Long live the new lines!
Nolan played like the Nolan of Kings' teams past.
Wilson... 2-0-2, 6 points in 8 games. The straw that stirs the drink?
Girgensons again was strong. Last game he ate the wall to make a play for a goal. Last night he wins a puck battle, hustles to the net, plants a screen that allows for a goal off his screen.
RoR's seeing-eye pass to KO worked.
Killing that 5-on-3.

The Bad:

The Sens are a mess wrapped inside a tire fire inside a dumpster perched in a cesspool right now. How do I know? They made the Sabres look good.
Nearly blew it.

The Ugly:

Nearly blowing it.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
G: Happy we won, but that's wholly due to the giant suck that is the current Sens.
The Nolan hit. Benny and KO finding the back of the net. Lehner.

B: Almost letting them back in the game. The current Sens.

U: Brind'amour

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Too bad there aren't more teams as pitiful as the Sens currently are. Even if the Sabres almost blew it, I think a couple of decent efforts like last night leading to a winning streak would go a long ways towards building the teams' confidence... which I think (the lack thereof) is more of a detriment than anything lately.

Reactions: Chainshot

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I had my son watch the NHL On The Fly highlights this morning before we left for the day. I thought he'd like Duchesne juggling the puck.

He did.

His other big takeaway was that the Sabres were like his bantam team last night in that they turned a 3-0 lead after two periods into a 3-2 win.

I got a chuckle out of that one.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Okay, it may simply be lip service, but it is refreshing to hear the players in the post-game scrums talking about trying to win to entertain the fans. Okposo and Ristolainen both mentioned it. It's been a major talking point for Taylor in the Rochester pressers consistently, including him venting earlier in the season when they laid a dud on a Friday night at home. I wonder if the Sabres room will start talking about "family" too, which is one of Tail's players big talking points too.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I am remiss in not including Lehner in the "good". He's stopping a lot of pucks by being in position and calm. I'm not much of a goalie guy, I know that seeing someone square and in position and making himself big goes a long way. He's done that in the last few games. Last night was the first time in a long time I wasn't cringing at every single shot headed his way, expecting it to go in. Perhaps the last few have built up a little callus for me in that regard, but it would be nice to see him continue so that the mental game for the team in front of him continues to get itself in order.

Reactions: oldgoalie and jBuds

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Okay, it may simply be lip service, but it is refreshing to hear the players in the post-game scrums talking about trying to win to entertain the fans. Okposo and Ristolainen both mentioned it. It's been a major talking point for Taylor in the Rochester pressers consistently, including him venting earlier in the season when they laid a dud on a Friday night at home. I wonder if the Sabres room will start talking about "family" too, which is one of Tail's players big talking points too.
It did sound like the fans were getting into the game in the 2nd. I noticed on the broadcasts some genuine cheering and spontaneous "let's go buffalo" chants I think around the big penalty kill. People complain about the fans and the arena atmosphere but I thinking winning will cure that as well.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
lol I watched the highlights since I only watched it after the 2nd goal.....but Pouliot walking through their whole defense was absolutely crazy:xsign::puppy:.

Reactions: CacOBG

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It did sound like the fans were getting into the game in the 2nd. I noticed on the broadcasts some genuine cheering and spontaneous "let's go buffalo" chants I think around the big penalty kill. People complain about the fans and the arena atmosphere but I thinking winning will cure that as well.

The cheers at the end of the game too -- something finally to get excited about.

If the team is taking positive steps on the ice, momentum may build in the arena with the fans as well. They've suffered for a long, long time watching poor play, it isn't going to turn into the French Connection era Aud over night. Just give them some hope.

And it doesn't hurt to have someone lighting people up like Nolan did last night. It's one of those very Buffalonian things to get pumped over physical play.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Good: There is always someone in tougher situation than us.

Ugly: Sens have Booby Ryan at 7.25 on the books until 2022-23 and Dion Phaneuf at 7 on the books until 2020-21

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
ROR played well.

He did? He sauced that one pass to KO, but a lot of his passes were off the mark and he wasn't doing much with the puck on his stick. If that KO pass doesn't make it through -- and the comments from the team about how they're trying too hard to sauce everything -- then what sort of night does he have?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Sabres really controlled a lot of O-zone play and made it look like they were on the PP when it was 5-on-5. That observation made me pity how badly the Sens are currently playing.

Also, nice job on the PK which turned into a 5-on-3 (Falk with the 2nd penalty?)

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I am remiss in not including Lehner in the "good". He's stopping a lot of pucks by being in position and calm. I'm not much of a goalie guy, I know that seeing someone square and in position and making himself big goes a long way. He's done that in the last few games. Last night was the first time in a long time I wasn't cringing at every single shot headed his way, expecting it to go in. Perhaps the last few have built up a little callus for me in that regard, but it would be nice to see him continue so that the mental game for the team in front of him continues to get itself in order.
Mentally, he's been out in front of incoming shots. Meaning his preparation and focus are very strong right now. Which leads to greater confidence.

And the ability to shrug off the inevitable weak goal that every goaltender gives up now and then...

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
We are almost undefeated when Pouliot scores, so I don't care how ugly it is as long as poo poo pots a goal and we win, in line with this obvious statistical correlation.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We are almost undefeated when Pouliot scores, so I don't care how ugly it is as long as poo poo pots a goal and we win, in line with this obvious statistical correlation.

Clearly him not scoring is also the reason for all of their losses. He is the devil.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005

If he stays with Eichel we’re in good shape then

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad