Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Crapping Out (#7)

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Went to bed expecting a 4- or 5-goal loss. Happy to see they came back. Probably would've been a nice boost of confidence to pull out the win.

Lots of ugly before I crashed. This team still needs defensemen. And speed.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Last ten minutes of the regulatiom was fire. Every part of Housleys system was active and they were buzzing. It works and the players are capable.

Problem was the first 50 minutes was comparably flat. Awful passes again. Silly defensive letups. Tim Peel and the gang didn’t help that situation, but it’s not an excuse.

ROR remembered how to play hockey. That’s really good.

Okposo is the next guy to bag. He still is sucking. Hopefully his head thing isn’t permanent.

Reinhart will never be a depth center. He’s a winger that needs skilled line mates to gel. And that’s fine. Let’s keep him there.

But this team doesn’t deserve 2 ptns until Kane is on the third line with Larsson.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The Ugly:
It's only been 7 games, but the team likely already shot themselves in the foot when it comes to making the playoffs. I was hoping they'd at least make it interesting. 4 of a possible 14 points is inexcusable. I'd like to see the odds of a team making the playoff after a start like that. I'd venture a guess that it's less than 10%.

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
to me this is a good thing. Rino and Snook coming alive Kane Eichs and Pommer maintaining momentum, wins will be consistent soon. Its still early.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
to me this is a good thing. Rino and Snook coming alive Kane Eichs and Pommer maintaining momentum, wins will be consistent soon. Its still early.
I just don't see it. The defense is a tire fire, and the goaltending is inconsistent. The offense doesn't score enough to make up for the defensive and goaltending deficiencies.

Reactions: Kyndig

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Is there a site that keeps track of odd man rush goals allowed? We must lead the league by a lot. Fix that and maybe win some games.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I just don't see it. The defense is a tire fire, and the goaltending is inconsistent. The offense doesn't score enough to make up for the defensive and goaltending deficiencies.

Risto was bad for a period. Tennyson is an AHLer and caused half the let-ups. I think you're just miserable. You can't blame goaltending when there were open backdoors on rushes and unmolested screens in front of the net and multiple unmolested shots from the slot.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Played horrible, deserved to be down. So happy they were able to comeback, good learning moment for the team after they won their first game. Small steps, but they can get there.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
G: Kane playing like he really wants to get traded to Vegas at the TDL.
The Sabres had a review go their way!
3 PPG for and 0 SHG against

B: More injuries up front

U: More 2 on 1 GA
More horrible D Zone coverage

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Risto was bad for a period. Tennyson is an AHLer and caused half the let-ups. I think you're just miserable. You can't blame goaltending when there were open backdoors on rushes and unmolested screens in front of the net and multiple unmolested shots from the slot.

Risto and McCabe have been terrible in every game so far. Defense IS a tirefire. Scandella has been our best defenseman...followed by probably Josh freaking Gorges. Lehner cant stop a beachball in the shootout and he has terrible lateral control and always lets in some stupid goal because he cant get his pads to the post. The Chad looked amazing against Anaheim but overall on the season hes top 10 for worst save percentages with Lehner not far behind. Tennyson had his worst game so far, Beaulieu had some really bad blunders in the first few games but even still they look better than Risto and McCabe atm. Risto missed a pass that caused the 2 on 1 turnover that Tennyson failed to breakup. Later Risto missed a pass from about 5 feet away..Then you have Antipin being russian blackballed when you have that circus out there still.

So I agree with Dubi Doo..even if the offense gets it together we still have too many issues going on to consistently win. Which was the original point.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
G - The team's mental toughness. They obviously didn't play their best game at the end of a west coast road trip, but they dug deep to salvage a point from the jaws of defeat. For as many on these boards (and media like Pham) that love to jump on these guys whenever something goes wrong, credit must be given when it is due. These guys showed no quit...

B - Too much too list

U - The second period

To put this game in perspective, I think they had a good 1st, a terrible 2nd, and dominated the 3rd. If anyone was paying attention, the Vegas fans were consistently booing their own team in the 3rd. The sabres looked extremely slow in OT because they were absolutely gassed by the end of the game. We went with 2 lines and 4 dmen the entire 3rd:

20172018-20090-shiftchart.png

I'm seeing growth in this team, looking forward to some home games. Hopefully some of their wounded can come back soon.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Yeah Gorges hasn't been bad. Probably because it's early in the season and he's still relatively fresh. At this point he should get the James Patrick treatment and only play 45-50 games. He's gonna wear down if they play him more then that.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
The Ugly:
It's only been 7 games, but the team likely already shot themselves in the foot when it comes to making the playoffs. I was hoping they'd at least make it interesting. 4 of a possible 14 points is inexcusable. I'd like to see the odds of a team making the playoff after a start like that. I'd venture a guess that it's less than 10%.
It's 2.5. Housley shouldn't finish the season.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
But this team doesn’t deserve 2 ptns until Kane is on the third line with Larsson.

Yes, parking a player who is 5th in the league in goals and 6th in the league in points down on the 4th line is definitely a winning strategy.

:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad