Post-Game Talk (GBU): The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Crapping Out (#7)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Good:

- They made a concerted comeback in the third after putzing their way to a 4-1 deficit.
- RoR looking like RoR so much more tonight.
- Girgs with the PK shot blocks.
- Larsson was the only guy who consistently did the right thing.
- Carrier drawing three penalties and being a strong possession player. Oh. Wait. That's right, he's not a Sabre any more.

The Bad:

- Losing Girgensons early.

The Ugly:

- Defensive zone coverage was again crap by the defense.
- Tennyson on the 2-on-1 for GA1.
- McCabe on for two GA's where he's standing around looking at his man or just mesmerized by the puck. Yeah, yeah, collision of the game... how about checking your man near your own net for change, Nobody.
- Risto's turnover.
- The PKing continues to be horrid.
- Hated that GWGA. How does Eichel lose his stick there and no call? How does Kane get tripped in front on the shift prior and no call? Bleh. Johnson needs to stop that one too -- looked unobstructed on first viewing.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
G:
The comeback. This game had juice. Haven't felt that in a while.
B:
This team is overall very slow. The D has gotten quicker, but our forwards may be the slowest group in the NHL.
U:
9 am conference call tomorrow. Worth it.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
G:
Fun comeback
The statline of three players...Kane 10 in 7, Eichel 9 in 7, Pommers 9 in 7 (even though I haven't liked that line, individually they've put up very good numbers)
ROR with his, by far, best performance of the year

B:
Getting rid of Carrier
The defense

U:
Getting outplayed by an expansion team...and realizing they're probably better than us

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Biron sort of hinted in postgame at my immediate first response to that OT breakdown. You’d like to see the D try to induce Perron to have to make a move earlier...but a tough play you don’t work on a ton, I guess.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Any team can find success if they create traffic and havoc at the net front. Too bad the Sabres are so inconsistent at getting there or at protecting their own crease. Too little too late in this one, not satisfied with a loser point. I hope the Kane OT no-call was incidental contact or something, as I didn't watch a replay, but that looked like a straight-forward call to me live.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
G:
I shifted morning meetings back an hour to watch this, and it kind of delivered.
Good fight at the end.
Signs of life from RoR.

B:
Our defense. They are slow/poor decision makers under pressure.
We don't move the puck up the us fast enough to win in this league.

U:
Pouliot is a dumpster fire. I hate him.
Risto/McCabe/Tennyson were awful this game.

Reactions: Dingo44

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Random: there was one Gorges play with about 3 minutes left in the first that I was obsessed with. McCabe races back for a puck behind our net, even with the opposition but at the end of his shift, and Gorges flies in full speed to fish the puck out from that 1-on-1 and break out of the zone. (We subsequently Turned puck over in neutral zone :))

But it was a veteran play to recognize the situation and do something you’re not really supposed to do, which is go behind the net where your partner already is, without possession....but he did and won the battle for him.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
G: In spite of all my snark, the 3rd period comeback is something to build on.
RoR had a good game.
So did Reinhart

B: No team speed. Housley's system is going to be very difficult to execute with this team given the present cadre.

U: Girgs took that shot on the lower outside of his left leg. Where the hardshell portion of the shin pad ends. I'm hoping it didn't break the fibula......

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Would anyone believe me if I told you the Sabres have 3 of the top 13 scorers in the NHL?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
G:
I shifted morning meetings back an hour to watch this, and it kind of delivered.
Good fight at the end.
Signs of life from RoR.

B:
Our defense. They are slow/poor decision makers under pressure.
We don't move the puck up the us fast enough to win in this league.

U:
Pouliot is a dumpster fire. I hate him.
Risto/McCabe/Tennyson were awful this game.
Yeah I’m not enamored with the Pouliot experience thus far, either.

Elsewhere:

- The handful of times the weak side D jumps up to join the rush (noted McCabe once, Beaulieu twice...) it looks threatening.

A real bad game with a nice late battle to salvage a point. I see small - minute - occasional glimpses of what *i think* Housley is attempting to install. I’m willing to continue to let it develop, and try and extract positives where I can: that they miraculously escaped LV with a pt certainly applies.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
G: In spite of all my snark, the 3rd period comeback is something to build on.
RoR had a good game.
So did Reinhart

B: No team speed. Housley's system is going to be very difficult to execute with this team given the present cadre.

U: Girgs took that shot on the lower outside of his left leg. Where the hardshell portion of the shin pad ends. I'm hoping it didn't break the fibula......

There are individual concerns for me with regards to speed, yep.

But we’ve done an astounding job of impeding that even more with these awful passes and poor decisions with regards to smart, short, probable versus shitty/cross ice/improbable choices.

Simplify the passes. Puck does the work for you, team speed increases. And good god, every pass attempted does not have to be dipped in three containers of sauce. It can drive you insane

jcorfive

Mar 5, 2008
View media item 561
I did not have a chance to watch the game. However, I am confused about the offsides rule. Is this not offsides?

Edit: I really dislike the rule for offsides challenges, but it seems like here would have been a good place to use it. Also, it seems we used our time out....so we are unable to challenge I assume?

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Yeah I’m not enamored with the Pouliot experience thus far, either.

Elsewhere:

- The handful of times the weak side D jumps up to join the rush (noted McCabe once, Beaulieu twice...) it looks threatening.

A real bad game with a nice late battle to salvage a point. I see small - minute - occasional glimpses of what *i think* Housley is attempting to install. I’m willing to continue to let it develop, and try and extract positives where I can: that they miraculously escaped LV with a pt certainly applies.
I agree with your point re: the new system. They are getting better at playing the style that our coach wants them to play. Progress has been slow but I have noticed things shifting.

The two biggest issues for me are a.) there is still a lot of Bylsma type of hockey being played, and b.) the stop gap players brought in during the off-season are just that... stopgap players on short contracts that aren’t in the long term interest of the team. I’ve said this before, but 19/20 will be the year that we should start being able to compete at a higher level. We are in the midst of a second rebuild, although everyone has much higher aspirations for this season.

Not a bad thing. The team just doesn’t have its identity yet.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
G:
We got a point with a great comeback. At least no quit in the team.
Thought Reinhart/ROR/Okposo looked far better than previous games even without the goals, offensively anyways. Have wanted that line for a few games now, hope Housley keeps them together.
Powerplay..and hey no shorties!

B:
Pretty much everyone outside the last 5 minutes of the game. Don't feel like pointing out individuals.
Sabres 5v5.

U:
Refs. Players keep grabbing Eichel and Eichel gets the penalty. So many weak calls early in the game against Buffalo and then not calling obvious stuff
Carrier not getting his fat faced punched in after all those weak calls he drew and taking out Pommers in front of the net.
We only played for 5 minutes in the game.
Got dominated by an expansion team.
Knights of Ni will probably win the cup before the Sabres.
Girgs injured.
I'm so glad we signed Antipin from the KHL just so he can sit there scratched all year.

Last edited:

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
G: Apparently there was a late comeback to het us 1 point.
Kanes numbers might get us a good return at the trade deadline when we are in tank for Dahlin mode.

B: We earned 1 point from this game that was actually a must win IMO.

U: When you wake up at 4AM to watch the game, feel fresh enough to go the full length and then our team sucks so bad that you decide this is a waste and still go back to sleep at 4-1 against a f***img expansion team. We absolutely stunk for the 2 and a bit periods of play I saw live from A to Z, no exceptions.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
i cant believe we are still draggin moulsons corpse around. hes unbelievably awful.

Nolan too.

Pommer and Okposo are dragging us down in the top 6.....

its gonna be a rough year, i feel like girgs is gone for awhile

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
i cant believe we are still draggin moulsons corpse around. hes unbelievably awful.

Nolan too.

Pommer and Okposo are dragging us down in the top 6.....nobody to fill those spots though

its gonna be a rough year, i feel like girgs is gone for awhile

meant to be an edit cant figure out how to delete post.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Don’t understate the point we salvaged. It’s a 4-1 game with 17 to play at the end of a road trip as the team isn’t even close to its top form... it would’ve been easy to pack it in and lose 6-1. We’ve seen that fork split us the other way in the past, so it was good to see them show some competitiveness and even better to see them tie the game and send it to OT.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad