The Future of Dinamo Riga?

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
They have not updated their website since Feb 27th, when they announced they are leaving the KHL. I have checked as many websites as I can but nothing is mentioned anywhere? Do we know what is happening? Or any rumours at least?

They still haven't removed all the KHL integration from their website, either!

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
I'm thinking they're dead. It's unfortunate. I'd love to see some sort of Riga entry in Finland. Latvian teams returning to the BXL is a nonstarter and the only options really are Finland or Sweden as the Polish league isn't really worth the travel, no offense to the Poles.

Reactions: Rigafan

LKI

May 15, 2016
Jūrmala
I'm thinking they're dead. It's unfortunate. I'd love to see some sort of Riga entry in Finland. Latvian teams returning to the BXL is a nonstarter and the only options really are Finland or Sweden as the Polish league isn't really worth the travel, no offense to the Poles.
By BXL you mean BHL ?
Either way there are rumors of Latvian team joining Mestis, according to president of LHF the discussion has went as far as Finns are waiting for final answer from the LHF. President also drew attention to the fact that it would not be Riga's "Dinamo".

Last edited:
Reactions: Rigafan

LKI

May 15, 2016
Jūrmala
Mestis being only a semi-pro league travel is going to be an issue.
If Latvian team would join Mestis it would be made up from 18-23 year old guys kind of a equivalent of HK RIGA who played in MHL.

In other news 1 x U-16 team and 2 x U-15 will join Finnish leagues.

Reactions: mattihp

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Hopefully Latvian players can find some cohesion in club teams so that the national team doesn't suffer hugely. I don't see it as very likely though.. A couple will probably try the AHL and the rest of the best will.. Scatter I think.

LKI

May 15, 2016
Jūrmala
Hopefully Latvian players can find some cohesion in club teams so that the national team doesn't suffer hugely. I don't see it as very likely though.. A couple will probably try the AHL and the rest of the best will.. Scatter I think.
I'd say national team will only gain from the liquidation of Dinamo Riga.

LKI

May 15, 2016
Jūrmala
How? I thought playing together was a huge advantage. More players will take the chance in the A and potentially making the NHL?
More players will have to compete for a spot in decent leagues, including NHL. Since Latvia does not have a significant pool of players that could play for KHL teams, for several players the Dinamo contract was pretty much guaranteed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rigafan and mattihp

Pardus

Sep 25, 2017
Oulu, Finland
In a recent interview HK Zemgale's GM Edgars Buncis has a wish that Dinamo Riga could join Finnish Liiga.

Here's my prediction of Dinamo's roster if that would happen:

Patriks Zabusovs - Rodrigo Abols - Rihards Bukarts
Renars Krastenbergs - Georgs Golovkovs - Rihards Marenis
Martins Dzierkals - Arturs Homjakovs - Rainers Rullers
Roberts Petrovics - Filips Buncis - Ricards Bernhards

Uvis Balinskis - Karlis Cukste
Janis Jaks - Miks Tumanovs
Kristaps Zile - Roberts Kalkis
Ernests Osenieks - Harijs Brants

Eriks Vitols (Mariuss Bajaruns-Galejs)

I didn't include players that are already playing or are going to play in NA in the near future. Also excluded the oldest players like Roberts Bukarts, Karsums, Indrasis etc.

Last edited:

GX

Dec 28, 2011
To play on the same line as in the national team.
In a recent interview he said he's only interested in Swedish or Swiss contracts. I doubt he would like to play for a discount in Riga. The Liiga version of Dinamo would surely not be the same Gazprom inflated soft power tool of the past.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Well, Zemgale was thrown out of Mestis, despite having 'a three year contract' for playing in it. Mainly because Finnish teams didn't enjoy travel costs and they had to make room for Jokerit.

Anyhow, there is no Dinamo currently and no one to finance it. If someone in Latvia has enough ambition and fundraising ability, I would expect them to retire the Soviet brand of Dinamo and start fresh. (Zemgale is open to rejoin Mestis, however, they have clearly no Liiga ambition. And even a 3000-seater in Jelgava seems unlikely, so they're unfit for Liiga in any shape or form).

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Dinamo at this point is sadly nothing more than an empty name. Even the legacy they had was pretty much ruined by playing in the KHL which deepened the association between the brand and Soviet/Russian hockey and it's subsequent legacy. So that's one part of it.

The other, one that has been known for years, that Latvia probably cannot support such team playing in Liiga and Finnish teams have nothing to gain and a lot to lose by allowing Latvians to play in the championship.

What Latvia should be financially capable to do is build up their own league to the professional level, even if the lowest one at that, on par with Romania or Kazakhstan. The talent pool is there, the money is as well. Sport obviously has a huge following so it's actually amazing how little ambition of making the local league matter to people the Latvians had throughout the years. If we managed to build out basketball league, under similar circumstances, to 12 professional teams playing in (mostly) new arenas, surely Latvians can scrape something up with their hockey if they put a conscious long-term effort into it.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad