The future of Charlie McAvoy

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Young top-4 D signed on a bargain contract who doesn't get much PP time only scores 4 assists in 15 games. They should probably waive him. Good catch, OP.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Id like to gather fan opinions on where his future is tracking.

Drafted 14 overall in '16 behind fellow defenseman Juolevi, Sergachev and Bean.

Concussions have been a problem and it appears he might be in trouble again.

The 21-year-old blueliner has yet to get going offensively this season, having tallied just four assists through his first 15 games

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
He's still the Bruins #1 defenseman. Just like he has been since basically stepping on NHL ice for the first time as a 19 year old in the playoffs a few seasons ago. He hasn't been at his very best this early season, but offense isn't his only calling.... When he is at his best, he's the Bruins best defender 5 on 5, both offensively and defensively IMO.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
#1 defenseman for the team that is Top 3 in the league for GA/GP.

HF doesn't care about preventing goals though, your only good if you score goals.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
He currently plays a pretty conservative style, he doesn't rush the puck much and seldom roves in the offensive zone. I think a lot of this is due to playing with Chara. If McAvoy guesses wrong or is caught down low its almost an automatic breakaway for the other team because of Chara's lack of foot speed.

That said, there are a few deficiencies in McAvoy's offensive game. He almost never shoots the puck from the point. He'll defer to Chara, or he'll look to a teammate to pass. That part of his game is frustrating to watch. For those who remember Tomas Kaberle, McAvoy's reluctance to shoot is very reminiscent. When McAvoy does shoot, its usually not a very good shot. He doesn't have a strong or accurate slapshot.

If he starts taking more risks offensively I can see him being a 50 point defenseman, but I don't see him regularly getting more than 10 goals a season.

Reactions: BadBruins

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
His offense will come when they pair him with someone that isn't a traffic cone on D (Chara) Right now McAvoy is in a position where if he pinches and misses its pretty much a guaranteed breakaway for the other team because Chara will just get blown by. He also gets little PP time because Krug and Gryz are more suited to that role, not to mention our top PP is 4 forwards and 1 D man who is more of a forward (Krug). Right now I think his lack of production is tied with his role on the team.

Reactions: SunDevilHockeyFan

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
If there’s anything McAvoy could work on it’s his pivoting. Or his ability to identify when he’s about to get beat to the outside.

that’ll come with experience, learning his competition. Other than that he’s pretty sound overall

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
he will probably never win a Norris with Heiskanen and possibly Dahlin in the league for the next 10 years, not to mention older guys like Josi and Carlson. But he's still incredibly good, and the rest of the league can see that.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
He has lots of time to find his game, the fact that he is even playing in the NHL at his level shows the Bruins made the right pick.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Bruins are going to try to swap up the pairings tonight in Detroit.

Chara/McAvoy
Krug/Carlo
Gryz/Clifton

to

Gryz/McAvoy
Krug/Carlo
Chara/Clifton

Cassidy said the reasoning was to let McAvoy be more aggressive offensively. Chara just doesn't have the skating to allow for that.

I love getting McAvoy and Gryz together. I don't think Chara/Clifton is going to work great, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad