OT: The Food & Drinks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I see rice noodle, cilantro, carrot, radish and cucumber. What else?

I assume some vinegar base ties it all together?

There's also fresh pea pods. The sauce is nuac cham. It has fresh lime juice, fish sauce, garlic, fresh thai bird chile and palm sugar diluted with a bit of water.

Reactions: Runner77

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
There's also fresh pea pods. The sauce is nuac cham. It has fresh lime juice, fish sauce, garlic, fresh thai bird chile and palm sugar diluted with a bit of water.

Do you make up the sauce yourself, fresh each time?

Vietnamese is about my favourite cuisine.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Do you make up the sauce yourself, fresh each time?

Vietnamese is about my favourite cuisine.

I generally do, but it will keep for a week refrigerated. I usually add bean sprouts and fresh mint to the salad as well. This is how I'd normally serve it...

D4Lx9Nt.jpg

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Any gardeners around here?

I'm an obsessive gardner. I grow 90 percent edible plants. I grow 10% inedible flowers and vines for my wife (most of the flowers I grow are edible however)

Would love to provide my list of garden goods, anybody have some favourites?

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Any gardeners around here?

I'm an obsessive gardner. I grow 90 percent edible plants. I grow 10% inedible flowers and vines for my wife (most of the flowers I grow are edible however)

Would love to provide my list of garden goods, anybody have some favourites?

I like to put nasturtiums in salad. They have a wonderful peppery taste. Roses in fruit salads as well.

Reactions: Runner77

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Don't forget to honour us with the end result!

My bad, the end result doesn't look as good as your plates. I'm moving out this Friday and I barely have anything left in my fridge + everything is in boxes :laugh:

.. although you could see the nice grill lines

Reactions: groovejuice

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Can a Mod please modify the thread title so as to include alcohol -- maybe call it Food and Liquor? Food and Drinks?
Just saw this now.

Sure, why not

Just had a look at my phone to see if I had anything to contribute to this thread, and I guess this would be the latest one. An Amaretto sour from a few months ago that I thought looked pretty.

TLMZ1Np.jpg

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I like to put nasturtiums in salad. They have a wonderful peppery taste. Roses in fruit salads as well.

Awesome! Nasturtiums are a main stay in my garden, I use the young leaves as well. I also employee roses for the same purpose, although I use them in other things as well, even savory dishes.

Borage is a nice flower to have, the leaves are also edible. I also grow callendula because the petals are very striking as a garnish on anything. Chamomile is edible and of course makes great tea. Lavender is my favourite and I have a ton, I tend to steep it in honey then mix the honey into ice cream, If you've never had lavender honey ice cream please do it right away. Sunflowers are also edible aside from the seeds and I like growing them because if you let them go to seed it is fun to see where they pop up next year from the squirrels burying them and forgetting them. I have some popping up all over the place and it's funny because they pop up in big clusters from where the squirrels emptied their cheeks full of seeds. I do a lot of gardening but the birds, bees and squirrels certainly help out when they can.

Reactions: groovejuice

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Probably the wrong thread but the "what To do in MTL" thread is dead

I'm going To be in montreal for 3 days with my GF and we would really like To eat some authentic foreign food. We dont want To spend a fortune too. Nice simple places where they serve great authentic food. It can be whatever type of food as we are really open To try.

Maybe some places with good coffee too or good drinks

Thanks guys

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
For souvlakis, Miss Jean Talon is amazing. Chicken souvlaki off course.

Aside from that, I enjoy antep kebab sandwiches but their meat is a bit dry. I actually like Amir's shish kebab

Reactions: MaxPacwhereishe

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Just saw this now.

Sure, why not

Just had a look at my phone to see if I had anything to contribute to this thread, and I guess this would be the latest one. An Amaretto sour from a few months ago that I thought looked pretty.

TLMZ1Np.jpg
Finally... a recipe I'm capable of making! I'm so freakin' out of my depth in this thread.

Actually, I love bourbon and Amaretto so your drink looks damn tasty.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Finally... a recipe I'm capable of making! I'm so freakin' out of my depth in this thread.

The staff at the bar I part-own, only shoot Jameson & Amaretto. They all absolutely love it. The ratio of former to latter is about 75/25.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The staff at the bar I part-own, only shoot Jameson & Amaretto. They all absolutely love it. The ratio of former to latter is about 75/25.
Have to ask: Which bar? It'd be pretty cool to organize our next HFBoard meetup at your place.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Have to ask: Which bar? It'd be pretty cool to organize our next HFBoard meetup at your place.
Sorry, it's not a sports bar, we don't have any TV screens there.

It's a small dive bar that caters to its regulars first and foremost. We don't like to attract attention from the outside. ;)

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

0.75 oz lemon juice
1.5 oz amaretto
0.50 oz high proof bourbon
egg white

Dry shake the lemon juice with egg white followed by wet shake with the alcohol & syrup. Strain and top with a splash or two Angostua bitters and a cocktail cherry.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Sorry, it's not a sports bar, we don't have any TV screens there.

It's a small dive bar that caters to its regulars first and foremost. We don't like to attract attention from the outside. ;)
No TVs? That would make the meet-up even better! We wouldn't have to watch the game!

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

I'm going To be in montreal for 3 days with my GF and we would really like To eat some authentic foreign food. We dont want To spend a fortune too. Nice simple places where they serve great authentic food. It can be whatever type of food as we are really open To try.

Thanks guys
El Rey del Taco Food Delivery & Takeout Menu | Montreal

I love this place. Plus, it's right by Jean Talon market which is a very cool place to check out as well.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Thanks guys

I had started a thread that contains a lot of great suggestions thanks to our foodie posting base: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/your-best-under-the-radar-restaurants-in-montreal.2412413/

The issue for you will be how far you're willing to sway from where you're staying.

If you're planning to stay close to downtown, your choices may be dictated by that.

There are plenty of great suggestions in the thread, including some detailed reviews.

Hopefully, one or several will be what you're looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad