OT: The Food & Drinks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Can a Mod please modify the thread title so as to include alcohol -- maybe call it Food and Liquor? Food and Drinks?

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Found this interesting.

aOrYPZ6_700bwp.webp

I don't know how representative this might be from one distiller to another or for different types of shot alcohol. Based on this, you start seeing a deep rich color from the 12th year. Also begs the question about how indicative color is of taste.

The colour, aromas and flavours are from the aging process. The first bottle is plain grain liqour. Depending on the cask you get a different flavour. Some distilleries use old wine casks or cognac casks. They char/smoke/etc the barrels for different flavours. Jack Daniels' is a Tennessee Whiskey that make their own barrels that they then char. Some Scotch distilleries will peat-smoke their barrels for a peaty smokey flavour.

They do the same thing for wine. The younger a wine the brighter it is and the flavour is crisper and fresher. An aged wine has a more mellow flavour and a darker colour.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Since we no longer have our GDTs to adorn with culinary distractions, I figured why not keep it going in the Food thread, of all places! :laugh:

CEqloSI.jpg

This might be the best Viet bún I've ever put together. Mostly the usual ingredients, but the star is a 5 spice, charcoal grilled strip loin. OMG.

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Had a birthday dinner at Sushi Momo last week. While their vegan sushi is certainly creative I felt it suffered from featuring too many ingredients, same sour notes throughout and richness that became challenging the more I ate.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
^The plating on those dishes looks really nice

It certainly does. All food featured above is a part of their "Saiko Ko for Four" meal. Basically a pre-set, 4 course meal meant to be shared between 4 people. It is a lot of food that we had trouble finishing. Price is $30 per person ($120 all together).

Reactions: ArtPeur

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Angus veal? Do you know if any of this game meat is readily available from a farmer?

If someone doesn't hunt, where can he find a half moose for his freezer? I'm intrigued.

Technically, it's not mine. :laugh:
But my father is getting older and he eats less meat. My mother also eats less. My brother is living with me so they're sending us lots of meat.
I don't have a freezer for now and they have 2 (+ 2 fridges).

About the Angus though... I don't know if they really have some. They were producing another type of veal meat but I remember my uncle saying that they brought some Angus semen and they would try to cross-breed or go full Angus. I can't really remember as it's been a few years. We have so much moose meat, fishes and geese that I don't believe my father bought anything from my uncle in the last two years... the last one I know we had was a milk-fed calf. The taste and the tenderness was incredible. We basically got the whole calf meat for 3$/lb with every cut we wanted. I don't know if farmers can sell calves that much to anyone though..

Also. My father has another close friend from 40 years ago. That guy has a huge sugar bush territory and he produces a lot of maple syrup products. We also get them far cheaper than the prices in groceries. We get maple syrup, cones, butter and some maple flavored caramel

I really need a freezer when I'll move out next week

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Anyone order Wagyu?

I want to buy some but don't know butcher shops than have and online it seems like they add a premium on the premium price.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Anyone order Wagyu?

I want to buy some but don't know butcher shops than have and online it seems like they add a premium on the premium price.
Most of Kobe beef sold in the US/Canada is a scam. Odds are you won't be able to get your hands on it. Authentic Wagyu is easier to find.

When buying it raw, however, you should be able to tell given enough knowledge. You're looking for insane marbling, making the cut look pink, never red. It should be boneless and either a fillet, a ribeye or a strip steak. You should ask for documentation clarifying the origins and the breed of the steak. And you're probably looking at $30+ per ounce of the meat.

Reactions: Runner77

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Most of Kobe beef sold in the US/Canada is a scam. Odds are you won't be able to get your hands on it. Authentic Wagyu is easier to find.

When buying it raw, however, you should be able to tell given enough knowledge. You're looking for insane marbling, making the cut look pink, never red. It should be boneless and either a fillet, a ribeye or a strip steak. You should ask for documentation clarifying the origins and the breed of the steak. And you're probably looking at $30+ per ounce of the meat.

Oh I know. I've had it and got hooked, would like it again. Thing is i'm hoping someone has Wagyu in montreal but who knows.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Oh I know. I've had it and got hooked, would like it again. Thing is i'm hoping someone has Wagyu in montreal but who knows.

I think this is your best bet. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, I can't help you in your quest unfortunately. Been off the meat bandwagon for too long now to posses any knowledge of local butcheries. Sorry.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
I sure could go for some sushi right about now

You know, as a big fan of sushi, I went and got some o that stuff for lunch today......ingredients list had glucose-fructose as the second ingredient of the rice composition. Not entirely surprised, but still sorta depressing to notice. :(

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Technically, it's not mine. :laugh:
But my father is getting older and he eats less meat. My mother also eats less. My brother is living with me so they're sending us lots of meat.
I don't have a freezer for now and they have 2 (+ 2 fridges).

About the Angus though... I don't know if they really have some. They were producing another type of veal meat but I remember my uncle saying that they brought some Angus semen and they would try to cross-breed or go full Angus. I can't really remember as it's been a few years. We have so much moose meat, fishes and geese that I don't believe my father bought anything from my uncle in the last two years... the last one I know we had was a milk-fed calf. The taste and the tenderness was incredible. We basically got the whole calf meat for 3$/lb with every cut we wanted. I don't know if farmers can sell calves that much to anyone though..

Also. My father has another close friend from 40 years ago. That guy has a huge sugar bush territory and he produces a lot of maple syrup products. We also get them far cheaper than the prices in groceries. We get maple syrup, cones, butter and some maple flavored caramel

I really need a freezer when I'll move out next week

If you have any tips on where I could find a reputable farmer that sells game meat or a good website for it, please let me know.

The only hunters I have spoken to, keep everything for themselves. Unless you go on a hunting trip with them, you ain't getting nuttin'.

Reactions: groovejuice

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
You know, as a big fan of sushi, I went and got some o that stuff for lunch today......ingredients list had glucose-fructose as the second ingredient of the rice composition. Not entirely surprised, but still sorta depressing to notice. :(
Gotta switch over to the sashimi with a film of wasabi on it, get that good burn through your sinuses, eyes start to water but sugar free and great taste, I hardly ever eat the rolls anymore

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Gotta switch over to the sashimi with a film of wasabi on it, get that good burn through your sinuses, eyes start to water but sugar free and great taste, I hardly ever eat the rolls anymore

"sushi" is the most important aspect of...hmm...sushi.

The "vinegared rice" (sushi) is as important as the fish. No, I take it back, the rice is more important than the fish/seafood. What makes the protein stand up is not its quality (as many newcomers might believe), but the way that protein is sliced and served with the "sushi".

There's nothing wrong with preferring sashimi over sushi. The former is much more popular than the latter in Japan. But do not confuse the two as they're nothing alike and are not to be combed in the same category. Sushi is a much more refined and complex art and it will always remain such.

And, no, i'm not talking about the maki rolls. Negiri is what sushi art is mostly about because it is the one form of sushi that can't be forgiving due to chef's shortcommings.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
With all due respect, your sentiment is absurd (when it comes to classifying a taco that is). By its definition, a taco is not something that can be measured against its own competition. The "best" taco does not exist and never will.

It's difficult to even Google the original definition of word "taco" (because it's been bent due to its popularity over the last 30 years or so). But it translates (loosely) as a "bite". It doesn't speak of anything else. Not tortillas and certainly not the fillings.

P.S. I might be mistaken, but the first taco (as most know them now) was filled with white fish. So, it is the "original" taco as far as the modern meaning of the word is concerned.

Tacos are just snack foods that branched off from people taking tortillas and picking up whatever was left on their plate.

Then it became a cuisine itself.

Think of tortillas as a traditional staple of indigenous/Mexican people (much like rice or bread or potatoes) that is meant to accompany whatever you cook, it was natural they would start putting things directly inside it.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Tacos are just snack foods that branched off from people taking tortillas and picking up whatever was left on their plate.

Then it became a cuisine itself.

Think of tortillas as a traditional staple of indigenous/Mexican people (much like rice or bread or potatoes) that is meant to accompany whatever you cook, it was natural they would start putting things directly inside it.

While I'm not making the correlation between your reply and my OP, I can comment on tacos as well.

The origin of a "taco" is unknown. And it is not tied to the tortilla. At least there's no concrete evidence of such.

What I think we know about "tacos" is that the term was born in the 18th century and that it meant to refer to mining originally. No, not "small bites", but rather "small charges". I can't be sure of whether that's accurate, but no one really can trace the origin.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
"sushi" is the most important aspect of...hmm...sushi.

The "vinegared rice" (sushi) is as important as the fish. No, I take it back, the rice is more important than the fish/seafood. What makes the protein stand up is not its quality (as many newcomers might believe), but the way that protein is sliced and served with the "sushi".

There's nothing wrong with preferring sashimi over sushi. The former is much more popular than the latter in Japan. But do not confuse the two as they're nothing alike and are not to be combed in the same category. Sushi is a much more refined and complex art and it will always remain such.

And, no, i'm not talking about the maki rolls. Negiri is what sushi art is mostly about because it is the one form of sushi that can't be forgiving due to chef's shortcommings.
Definitely different foods between sushi and sashimi, maki is usually the entry to sushi for most people and then they move up to the nigiri and I stayed there for a good twenty years but have moved over to the sashimi last couple of years (maybe cause I'm getting fat in my old age haha) actually probably half and half depending on the place, just find a lot of places pack way more rice than fish and the rice int's always competent so falls apart when you pick it up which is a fail in my book

Theres a place I go that has seared scallop and spicy soft shelled crab nigiri that's out of this world

Almost as good as a big feed of green lip mussels ;)

Reactions: GoodKiwi

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
While I'm not making the correlation between your reply and my OP, I can comment on tacos as well.

The origin of a "taco" is unknown. And it is not tied to the tortilla. At least there's no concrete evidence of such.

What I think we know about "tacos" is that the term was born in the 18th century and that it meant to refer to mining originally. No, not "small bites", but rather "small charges". I can't be sure of whether that's accurate, but no one really can trace the origin.

I’m not sure why you are getting hung up on the etymology of the word...lasagna loosely means cooking pot, which doesn’t make a lot of sense...we attach weird words to foods.

Tacos are indeed inherently linked to tortillas, to suggest otherwise is being obtuse.

Tortillas are a staple of indigenous people in the region predating colonialism. People made them with food. Then people started directly putting food inside them at some point in time. And then it became the taco. It’s not that complicated dude.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Definitely different foods between sushi and sashimi, maki is usually the entry to sushi for most people and then they move up to the nigiri and I stayed there for a good twenty years but have moved over to the sashimi last couple of years (maybe cause I'm getting fat in my old age haha) actually probably half and half depending on the place, just find a lot of places pack way more rice than fish and the rice int's always competent so falls apart when you pick it up which is a fail in my book

Theres a place I go that has seared scallop and spicy soft shelled crab nigiri that's out of this world

Almost as good as a big feed of green lip mussels ;)
What are some of your most preferred sashimi proteins?

I'm curious because in the West that list is entirely different from what they gobble up in Japan. When I visited Japan (been a while), the most popular varieties were Tako, Aji and Hotate. Although, raw white fish was also all the rare at the time.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
What are some of your most preferred sashimi proteins?

I'm curious because in the West that list is entirely different from what they gobble up in Japan. When I visited Japan (been a while), the most popular varieties were Tako, Aji and Hotate. Although, raw white fish was also all the rare at the time.
Cut and paste of one of my favorite places here in Oz, love it all but will admit the squid and octopus are an acquired taste that took me awhile

Haven’t made it to Japan yet but on the bucket list

TAS Salmon
TAS Salmon Belly
QLD Tuna
SA Hiramasa Kingfish
Hokkaido Scallops
NZ Snapper
NZ King Dory
NZ Blue Eye Trevalla
NZ Hapuka Grouper
WA Squid/Calamari
WA Octopus

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Since we no longer have our GDTs to adorn with culinary distractions, I figured why not keep it going in the Food thread, of all places! :laugh:

CEqloSI.jpg

This might be the best Viet bún I've ever put together. Mostly the usual ingredients, but the star is a 5 spice, charcoal grilled strip loin. OMG.

I see rice noodle, cilantro, carrot, radish and cucumber. What else?

I assume some vinegar base ties it all together?

Reactions: groovejuice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad