OT: The Food & Drinks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Want to look like a star when you have people over at your next BBQ? Offer this up as your desert:

Get a pineapple core from the store with the shell off. Slice into pineapple rings. Cover in cinnamon. Grill until a little crispy on both sides. Plate it and immediately drop a scoop of vanilla icecream on top. Then top the ice cream with a bit of pure cocoa powder. Then top it all off with shredded coconut. It's a LG custom recipe. :)

Bam!

... Well I just did the exact same ****ing thing 3 weeks ago if you disregard the ice cream, so that's really hilarious.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The Works is a great burger joint.

Gotta go for the Crackerjack. Peppercorn crusted, hot peppers, jack cheese and hotter than hell sauce. It's the best.

What's amazing is that they handled the "Franchising" (...lack of a better word) really well. In fact the only reason why I wasn't going there as much as I should have is :

- I can make something reasonably close at home
- Their beer selection is goddawful

If mean, having crap beer at your place isn't a big deal if you have a Sushi Joint or an Indian Cuisine Restaurant. But anything remotely North American, if your beer sucks, I just cannot eat at your place. The Works could BARELY be worse than it is.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Want to look like a star when you have people over at your next BBQ? Offer this up as your desert:

Get a pineapple core from the store with the shell off. Slice into pineapple rings. Cover in cinnamon. Grill until a little crispy on both sides. Plate it and immediately drop a scoop of vanilla icecream on top. Then top the ice cream with a bit of pure cocoa powder. Then top it all off with shredded coconut. It's a LG custom recipe. :)

Bam!

Whoa, gon need me some pineapple.
Plus anything on the grill is good in my books. I practically live by it these days.

Link67

Oct 8, 2016
Quick little weekend breakfast idea for those with kids at home.

You will need: Wraps of your choice, bananas, Nutella, Peanutbutter, Olive Oil, Cinnamon Sugar, Powdered Sugar. .

Place the Wrap down, spread Peanutbutter on one half, Nutella on the other, Place the Banana on the edge of the Pita and wrap tightly breaking it in the middle to straighten it out as you are wrapping it. make as many as your family needs and that can fit in your frying pan.

Little Olive oil in the pan, medium heat, and place all your wraps down on the pan with the Pita overlap down first to basically fry the wrap shut. Rotate it around until you get a nice browning crisp on 3 sides, shouldn't take very long so stay close by.

When they are done put them on a plate, sprinkle some cinnamon sugar and powdered sugar on top and serve with a fork and knife. if the kids are very young cut it like sushi after it cools down for a couple minutes and serve with a fork.

big hit in my household and takes me all of 15 min to serve breakfast to the whole family.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Whoa, gon need me some pineapple.
Plus anything on the grill is good in my books. I practically live by it these days.
Serve it right away. The heat from the pineapple and the cold from the ice cream is amazing. And (this should go without saying) spring the money for some decent ice cream. :)

You can always add to this as well. Caramel sauce is amazing on it. Maple syrup...

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Quick little weekend breakfast idea for those with kids at home.

You will need: Wraps of your choice, bananas, Nutella, Peanutbutter, Olive Oil, Cinnamon Sugar, Powdered Sugar. .

Place the Wrap down, spread Peanutbutter on one half, Nutella on the other, Place the Banana on the edge of the Pita and wrap tightly breaking it in the middle to straighten it out as you are wrapping it. make as many as your family needs and that can fit in your frying pan.

Little Olive oil in the pan, medium heat, and place all your wraps down on the pan with the Pita overlap down first to basically fry the wrap shut. Rotate it around until you get a nice browning crisp on 3 sides, shouldn't take very long so stay close by.

When they are done put them on a plate, sprinkle some cinnamon sugar and powdered sugar on top and serve with a fork and knife. if the kids are very young cut it like sushi after it cools down for a couple minutes and serve with a fork.

big hit in my household and takes me all of 15 min to serve breakfast to the whole family.

Sounds good. Thanks for sharing.

And if we're into sharing, here's an insane drink:

Take a big glass, like a pint.

-White rhum, lots of it
-Coconut milk
-Pineapple juice
-A big freaking scoop of vanilla ice cream
-Some fruit for presentation
-No ice

Arrange the proportions however you want, but damn this makes for a great drink. The ice cream will melt, making your drink all cold and creamy. It's almost a dessert.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Sounds good. Thanks for sharing.

And if we're into sharing, here's an insane drink:

Take a big glass, like a pint.

-White rhum, lots of it
-Coconut milk
-Pineapple juice
-A big freaking scoop of vanilla ice cream
-Some fruit for presentation
-No ice

Arrange the proportions however you want, but damn this makes for a great drink. The ice cream will melt, making your drink all cold and creamy. It's almost a dessert.

It's a Pina Colada!

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
The ice cream replaces the cream. Sounds good whatever you prefer to call it.

It's really not the same effect. Coconut milk doesn't have that creamy texture you get with ice cream. And using ice cream means you can remove the ice, so the drink is not diluted.

I know it sounds strange, but you have to try it before judging.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
It's really not the same effect. Coconut milk doesn't have that creamy texture you get with ice cream. And using ice cream means you can remove the ice, so the drink is not diluted.

I know it sounds strange, but you have to try it before judging.

Don't misunderstand me. I like the idea of ice cream blended in drinks. I'm typically not a fan of sweet beverages.

You can actually buy coconut cream in ethnic stores. It's not like the canned stuff in supermarkets. An Indian grocery would be a good place to look for it. They might also have a real coconut ice cream as well, but you'll probably find that in a good Organic grocery.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Usually sugar in most tomato sauces on pizza.

You got me there. I mean, usually, pizza sauce isn't sweet, but without sugar, it would be tomato-ey as hell. Which it rarely is.

I do confirm that PB works extremely well with poutine.

Last edited:

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
You got me there. I mean, usually, pizza sauce isn't sweet, but without sugar, it would be tomato-ey as hell. Which it rarely is.

I do confirm that PB works extremely well with poutine.

Canned coconut cream/milk is perfectly fine and just as good as the fresh stuff (difficult to get hands on) as far as you read the label. Avoid BPA (Bisphenol A) and guar gum and you'll be fine.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Canned coconut cream/milk is perfectly fine and just as good as the fresh stuff (difficult to get hands on) as far as you read the label. Avoid BPA (Bisphenol A) and guar gum and you'll be fine.

I can hardly see how this could be an answer to a post on poutine, but still..

Can you elaborate on this?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'll be in Stowe. Lots of good things around, and I'll be visit Burlington as well. I know a place I can get Heady Topper in Stowe so hopefully I can swing that.

Well... The Alchemist Brewery is right in Stowe, and they now brew enough so you can buy stuff directely on the premises.

Stowe is about a 30 minutes drive to a ton of places as you already know. Lost Nation, BBCO (I finished my last one yesterday), Foam Brewers, Four Quarters. If you stretch to a 45 minutes drive you can probably include Fiddlehead, Hill Farmstead and Good Measure, too.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I'll be in Stowe. Lots of good things around, and I'll be visit Burlington as well. I know a place I can get Heady Topper in Stowe so hopefully I can swing that.

Funny, I'm going to Stowe for the first time this weekend too. My parents invited the wife and I. Hope you have fun.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Funny, I'm going to Stowe for the first time this weekend too. My parents invited the wife and I. Hope you have fun.

You too! I've been going to Stowe for 30 years, it's one of my favourite places to be.

If you like smoked food, give the Blue Donkey a try. Also you must try the Dutch Pancakes at the Grey Fox Inn.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
You too! I've been going to Stowe for 30 years, it's one of my favourite places to be.

If you like smoked food, give the Blue Donkey a try. Also you must try the Dutch Pancakes at the Grey Fox Inn.

Thanks for the tips. My parents have been going for like 5 years and invited us to go. Can't remember where we're staying. I like food, period lol.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I can hardly see how this could be an answer to a post on poutine, but still..

Can you elaborate on this?

It really has nothing to do with poutine, I happened to quote the wrong post. :o

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
czcfAY4.jpg

I'm happy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad