Post-Game Talk: The Flying V comes to Washington 8:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
On the one hand, definitely some puck luck, given that the shot hit both the defender’s stick and the goalie’s stick, and still went in. On the other hand, 8 musta really ripped it, since even with the double deflexn, it didn’t appear to change trajectory at all

I saw the replays on line. The shot didn't hit the defenseman's stick. Ov hit his stick on the follow thru. The d had his stick up off the ice the shot went behind it.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Caps have only played six OT games and are 5-1.

For Metro comparison sake, CBus - 9, Devils - 11, Isles - 8, Pens - 9, Rangers - 8, Canes - 12, Flyers - 9.

Point being the Caps record is more of an actual record than some of the other teams in the Metro and not really skewed by fake hockey.

FYI I see the irony of posting this after a game the Caps just won in OT. ;)

Reactions: ovikovy817

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Caps have only played six OT games and are 5-1.

For Metro comparison sake, CBus - 9, Devils - 11, Isles - 8, Pens - 9, Rangers - 8, Canes - 12, Flyers - 9.

Point being the Caps record is more of an actual record than some of the other teams in the Metro and not really skewed by fake hockey.

FYI I see the irony of posting this after a game the Caps just won in OT. ;)
I agree and we only have 1 loser point so far

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
They will lose in the second round of the playoffs?

PDO, which is basically the "luck" advanced stat, has the Caps at #3 at five on five (7 at all strengths), number one team, the Bolts. Also, there shouldn't be a Cap fan in the world who wouldn't rather be lucky than good. ;)
:thumbu:
We still have our sarcastic, gallows humor.

How many of us thought the Caps would be in Metro 1st (19 ROWs) about a month ago?! You can always find something to criticize, I'm very pleased with their play lately.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
We need to ship Bura out of DC. Dude is looking like he won't even give us Mojo level of production.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Djoos looks like a smaller, smarter Schmidt.
Smaller? Well that's an objective fact.
Smarter? Ehhh. Djoos is definitely a player with a solid IQ, but don't forget that was one of Schmidt's strengths as well.

Djoos has more offensive upside than Schmidt, but Schmidt has taken the next step into handling difficult match-ups for 22+ minutes/night with Vegas. That next step for Djoos is still theoretical at this point.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
This morning I switch on my apple tv, start the game with NBCSNWA but after 12 seconds, I was direclty sent to the 2nd period with 2 minutes left (thanks nhl.tv), and I saw 2-0 for ducks. I barely opened my eyes and was like well this is 100% a loss. And I was pleased to see a good comeback. After the end of the game, I switched to ducks feed to watch the first two periods.
----------

We didn't deserve to win that game? Nonsense. Willy had 2 great chances, Chiasson too, and generally we were the better team. And this without a single PP, where we could have at least 3.

We're lucky?? What about those lucky bounces/deflections that our opponents scored on us for 5-6 straights games few weeks ago??

Big players done their things tonight, and a well deserved W and a ROW before going on road.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
First place in the metro and trending nicely. A testing road trip coming up with a game in Dallas where it's traditionally been tough. I would like to see the Caps cool off Vegas too.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Smaller? Well that's an objective fact.
Smarter? Ehhh. Djoos is definitely a player with a solid IQ, but don't forget that was one of Schmidt's strengths as well.

Djoos has more offensive upside than Schmidt, but Schmidt has taken the next step into handling difficult match-ups for 22+ minutes/night with Vegas. That next step for Djoos is still theoretical at this point.

Oh, I love Schmidt and agree that he was a heady player which is why I made the comparison. There are just some nuances to Djoos' game that I never really saw from Schmidt. Those pump fake shots to get around people or changing angles at the point weren't things I saw from Schmidt, or at least not with any regularity. Some of the things Djoos does when he's breaking the puck out are different too. He seems to slow the game down more while still playing fast (if that makes sense) than did 88 (whom I still really wish we had in DC).

I don't think Djoos has the size to max out at 22+ min/night with difficult matchups but only one way to find out: play him more -- and with 74.

Reactions: twabby

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
They should put Oshie on to the 3rd line for a while when he comes back and see if that gets Burakovsky going. 2nd line is doing just fine with Chiasson so it's worth a shot to try and create 3 scoring lines. If it doesn't work you can always go back to Vrana-Kuz-Oshie. Besides Oshie is going to get enough minutes either way because of his PP role.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
:thumbu:
We still have our sarcastic, gallows humor.

How many of us thought the Caps would be in Metro 1st (19 ROWs) about a month ago?! You can always find something to criticize, I'm very pleased with their play lately.
I have always thought that this team was going to be fine. I never had any doubt that the Caps would be a playoff team and I thought they had a chance at the division. I thought it might take longer for this team to get on the same page with all the new players. Trotz has done can good job.
About the players we lost in the off season. I never thought we lost as much value as everyone else thought. I never really considered Shattenkiurk as a part of this team since his time here was short and unsuccessful. Alzner was obviously regressing and his play this year shows that. Johansson was finally coming around but thought he was a player that should have been moved before we gave him his last deal. Winnick was an alright 4th line player but easily replaceable with a younger player. Justin Williams just didnt do it for me. I honestly feel he underachieved while he was here. Playing on a line with Kuzy and playing on the 2nd pp unit on such a strong team. How could he not reach 50 points on this team. As for his leadership I just didn't see it and he definitely wasnt Mr game 7 for us. I think our biggest loss was Schmidt. He was coming into his own. He could be a pretty decent dman for a long time.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think he already done it the last game IIRC

Yep he has 17 ESG in 34 games and had 16 all of last year. On pace for 41 ESG.

Very unlikely he keeps up that pace IMO. It would be the second most even strength goals in his career, behind only his 43 in 2007-08 65 goal season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->