The final plan for the draft lottery??

Status
Not open for further replies.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Converse said:
While I do find the Draft Lottery interesting, I only see it as part of the story out there. Past the first overall pick, how do they plan on determining the draft order? Are they going to use the Draft Lottery to determine the entire order, so theoreticaly NYR & CBJ would get the top two picks?

Based on the article:
4 Balls: NYR & CBJ
3 Balls: ANA, ATL, BUF, CAL, CHI, FLA, MIN, MON, MTL, NSH, PHX
2 Balls: CAR, EDM, LA, PIT, TB
1 Ball: BOS, COL, DAL, DET, NJ, NYI, OTT, PHI, SJ, STL, TOR, VAN, WAS

I would have to assume that once your team has been picked, you can't be picked again. If one of the other balls is selected, it would be discarded/ignored. the extra balls are only to increse the odds of being selected.

signalIInoise

killed by signal 2
Feb 25, 2005
Latveria
Honestly, I don't really care how it all pans out. If I could have my way about one thing surrounding this draft, it's be that people stop using the word 'Deserve' regarding any teams chances in the draft lottery.

None of them 'deserve' a damned thing. It's all arbitrary. All of it. If I was a draftee, I sure wouldn't think that anyone 'deserved' to chart the next 12 years of my professional life based solely on that teams recent history of sucking.

Deserving seems to imply that something was earned. The only things you really should earn by sucking on the ice is an early end to your season, a taste for Pepcid, and a 'now hiring' sign in the front office.

I know it will never happen, but I'd rather they make the number one pick a prize for being good and working your nuts off, rather than the booby prize for sucking and tanking. First pick every year to the President's Trophy winner. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. But it should.

That would be earned and deserved, and would also reward the first pick with an opportunity to succeed rather than have the crushing weight of a failed franchise on their 18 year old shoulders.

FanaticalFan

Jun 14, 2002
Visit site
Converse said:
While I do find the Draft Lottery interesting, I only see it as part of the story out there. Past the first overall pick, how do they plan on determining the draft order? Are they going to use the Draft Lottery to determine the entire order, so theoreticaly NYR & CBJ would get the top two picks?

Based on the article:
4 Balls: NYR & CBJ
3 Balls: ANA, ATL, BUF, CAL, CHI, FLA, MIN, MON, MTL, NSH, PHX
2 Balls: CAR, EDM, LA, PIT, TB
1 Ball: BOS, COL, DAL, DET, NJ, NYI, OTT, PHI, SJ, STL, TOR, VAN, WAS

Pit and FLA need to be reversed FLA won the lotto twice and traded their pick to CBJ and PIT. IF CBJ still gets 4 balls then that implyes that Pit would get 3 balls.

Jessie Lumsden

Apr 7, 2005
seriously...why not just hold off on the draft for a year and make it a 19 year old draft from now on? We all know the benefits of having a higher draft age. Sure you'd have to kiss Crosby goodbye for at least one more year, but who here honestly thinks he's going to come in to any team and score 50 plus??

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
Jessie Lumsden said:
seriously...why not just hold off on the draft for a year and make it a 19 year old draft from now on? We all know the benefits of having a higher draft age. Sure you'd have to kiss Crosby goodbye for at least one more year, but who here honestly thinks he's going to come in to any team and score 50 plus??

I like the uncertainty of the draft because despite a poor team being given a high pick, that pick isn't guaranteed to be a good player unless they've done their homework via scouting and developing their players

i mean, someone addressed the 'deserve' issue earlier of how you shouldn't be rewarded for sucking... well, because the draft is so uncertain over the future of 18 year old hockey players, no team is actually being rewarded unless they've put money and time into their picks

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
signaliinoise said:
I know it will never happen, but I'd rather they make the number one pick a prize for being good and working your nuts off, rather than the booby prize for sucking and tanking. First pick every year to the President's Trophy winner. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. But it should.

You're right, it'll never happen cuz its not a logical solution...

basically, you're saying we should reward the best team (the one that wins the cup) with the 1st pick overall?

In that case, give the lightning the #1 pick and pittsburgh the last pick (or whoever finished last)

then there is no arguement on how this lottery will go

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I could live with having the first pick dealt with this way . . . . then the rest of the draft be done normally wieghting, perhaps looking back 3-5 years for order. That way, if this really is all about Crosby then the truly loaded teams have their chance, but at least we will not also have the embarrasment of the top five picks being something like Toronto, Philly, NJ, Ottowa and Tampa Bay with the top five picks and Pittsburgh, Washington, CBJ, Phoenix and NYR with picks 26-30. I just have this feeling that a good part of the above would happen and if so I would feel very betrayed . . . once more . . . by an NHL that would remain a joke.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
The Iconoclast said:
I hate the Rangers as much as the next guy, but to be honest, they are one of the more deserving teams. I would have no problem with Crosby ending up in a Rangers uniform. It would really piss me off if he ended up in Colorado, Toronto, Philadelphia, Detroit, St. Louis, or Dallas. Those are the least deserving teams IMO. Anyone else and I would be satisfied for the most part.

When the CBA is announced and those same teasm you listed have to share revenue that in the past they got to keep you will understand why they were given a shot at getting Crosby. The smaller market teams are better served with getting revenue sharing checks and have to throw a bone at teh big market teams in this way.

Patman

Feb 23, 2004
www.stat.uconn.edu
Chayos1 said:
When the CBA is announced and those same teasm you listed have to share revenue that in the past they got to keep you will understand why they were given a shot at getting Crosby. The smaller market teams are better served with getting revenue sharing checks and have to throw a bone at teh big market teams in this way.

Why? Big spending owners are still going to spend big, Crosby or not.

signalIInoise

killed by signal 2
Feb 25, 2005
Latveria
chriss_co said:
You're right, it'll never happen cuz its not a logical solution...

basically, you're saying we should reward the best team (the one that wins the cup) with the 1st pick overall?

In that case, give the lightning the #1 pick and pittsburgh the last pick (or whoever finished last)

then there is no arguement on how this lottery will go

It's perfectly logical, actually. More logical than consistently rewarding failure. A prospect ... even a top, highly-anticipated prospect is not going to put anyone over the top in the short term. And it's not going to rescue a total waste of a franchise, either.

Let's assume that the projected top pick in any given year is there because he has worked his ass off his whole life to get where he is. Talent can get you along ways, but don't you think it has been hard lifelong work for this kid to distinguish himself from his peers? Should this kid be rewarded for all his work by being chosen first by the perennial cellar-dwellers of the league?

Let's assume that a few years worth of these top prospects are what the league is banking it's future on. Does it make more sense to put them... a) somewhere they've got a chance at success, even if it's shared team success; or b) somewhere where the cupboards are bare, there's a full-blown legacy of failure, and he'll be targetted by every opponent he faces until he proves himself a bust.

Now, you're pretending that I'm saying that draft order should be reversed. I said nothing of the sort. I said the TOP pick should be a reward.

Also, I said that it should go to the Presidents winner, not the Cup winner. Rather than kneejerk your reaction right off the bat, if you think about it, you'd be able to acknowledge some benefit. Wouldn't it be nice to see late-season games mean something even for teams that have solidified their playoff berths? Is it a better hockey-watching experience to see the best of the best play ...or rest?

On top of that, you have your lottery-chasing crap teams. As it stands, the draft lottery favors the biggest failures, or the teams who stopped trying earlier. Team 30 has better position than 29, better than 28... In a perfect world, I'd reshape this lottery so that 28 has better position than 29, better than 30.

Even though these teams suck, they owe their fans an honest effort through all 82 games -- but for these teams every game past the 60th is completely meaningless. Why not make them count a little, if even just to affect their draft position?

Jessie Lumsden

Apr 7, 2005
At 18 it is very tough to judge a player. That's why Phaneuf went after eight players far inferior to him. If the 2003 draft was held now, it would probably go Phaneuf - Getzlaf - Parise. Plus sixth round picks would actually be worth something.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
signaliinoise said:
It's perfectly logical, actually. More logical than consistently rewarding failure. A prospect ... even a top, highly-anticipated prospect is not going to put anyone over the top in the short term. And it's not going to rescue a total waste of a franchise, either.

Let's assume that the projected top pick in any given year is there because he has worked his ass off his whole life to get where he is. Talent can get you along ways, but don't you think it has been hard lifelong work for this kid to distinguish himself from his peers? Should this kid be rewarded for all his work by being chosen first by the perennial cellar-dwellers of the league?

Let's assume that a few years worth of these top prospects are what the league is banking it's future on. Does it make more sense to put them... a) somewhere they've got a chance at success, even if it's shared team success; or b) somewhere where the cupboards are bare, there's a full-blown legacy of failure, and he'll be targetted by every opponent he faces until he proves himself a bust.

Now, you're pretending that I'm saying that draft order should be reversed. I said nothing of the sort. I said the TOP pick should be a reward.

Also, I said that it should go to the Presidents winner, not the Cup winner. Rather than kneejerk your reaction right off the bat, if you think about it, you'd be able to acknowledge some benefit. Wouldn't it be nice to see late-season games mean something even for teams that have solidified their playoff berths? Is it a better hockey-watching experience to see the best of the best play ...or rest?

On top of that, you have your lottery-chasing crap teams. As it stands, the draft lottery favors the biggest failures, or the teams who stopped trying earlier. Team 30 has better position than 29, better than 28... In a perfect world, I'd reshape this lottery so that 28 has better position than 29, better than 30.

Even though these teams suck, they owe their fans an honest effort through all 82 games -- but for these teams every game past the 60th is completely meaningless. Why not make them count a little, if even just to affect their draft position?

So you are saying the team that finishes #1 should get the 1st pick overall, team #28 has best shot at #2, then 29 then 30 and then team #27 gets ranked as 5th best team??

In that case, if I were team #27, i would try to lose a couple games just to be the #28 team so i could get the best shot at the #2 pick....

this doesn't make any sense still... the president's cup winner is awarded home-ice advantage for the rest of the playoffs.. that is their reward (and a valuable one).. the top ranked prospect is awarded because he is in a situation where he is given all chances to be a franchise player (he wont be stuffed deep on the 4th line because there are too many better players on the team) and he is awarded with a fat juicy contract for being the first pick overall

those are the rewards.. if you dont allow perrenial losing teams turn their team around with high draft picks, there will never be any turnover in the league... why bother having teams like chicago, pittsburgh or washington exist if they will never be given a legitimate opportunity to rebuild their team through the draft??

and about the competitiveness, with all the parody in the league, almost all of the regular season games have meaning nowadays... if you already have a playoff spot locked up, teams are jockeying for homeice advantage or perhaps a more favorable opponent...

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Epsilon said:
I honestly think a lot of people on this board are going to be doing one or more of the following after the draft lottery takes place:

1. crying themselves to sleep

2. swearing off the NHL forever

3. spouting lame conspiracy theories

Also, I suspect the draft lottery thread will be among the worst in the history of this board, similar in "quality" to the WJC finals thread every year, which is nothing but a bunch of crying, chest thumping, and lame arguments.

I feel really bad for the Mods on that day(s) They will be working overtime deleting posts and locking threads. I almost cant wait, especially if Crosby goes the the Wings or Leafs or Avs or Philly.

(also why would people be pissed if he went to the Rangers. After all they have sucks and earned the right to have the best odds)

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
JWI19 said:
I feel really bad for the Mods on that day(s) They will be working overtime deleting posts and locking threads. I almost cant wait, especially if Crosby goes the the Wings or Leafs or Avs or Philly.

(also why would people be pissed if he went to the Rangers. After all they have sucks and earned the right to have the best odds)
ya, any team that wants a shot at crosby should have to gut their team first just like wash. did. :)

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
The Old Master said:
ya, any team that wants a shot at crosby should have to gut their team first just like wash. did. :)

but Wash did suck before they did start the gutting. It's not like they were flirting for the playoff before going on a selling spree. They pretty much were horrible from the get go

StevenintheATL

Jun 12, 2004
The ATL!
Taxman said:
Well you know, the conspiracy theorists will tell you that the NHL would love for the Rangers to get Crosby just from a marketing point of view.

I wonder if they can rig the lottery pretty easily. :amazed:

The NBA's been doing it for years. The worst team in the league can't even secure the #1 pick in the draft lottery.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Taxman said:
Well you know, the conspiracy theorists will tell you that the NHL would love for the Rangers to get Crosby just from a marketing point of view.

I wonder if they can rig the lottery pretty easily. :amazed:

It isn't a conspiracy theory the NHL would love Crosby in a Ranger uniform. They would absolutely love it and they should. He's a marketing dream in the largest market.

The conspiracy theorists will tell you the NHL will rig the draft order for that to happen. I don't believe that one bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad