The final plan for the draft lottery??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taxman

Dec 9, 2003
Visit site
The Maple Leafs would have a 1.7 per cent chance of landing Sidney Crosby under the NHL's proposed lottery system for the next entry draft, while the New York Rangers would be one of two teams with the best shot of getting the junior superstar.

Multiple sources say the league's board of governors has in place the framework of a system that will allow each of the NHL's 30 teams a chance at the first overall pick in the next draft and the opportunity to select Crosby, who will be at the Memorial Cup with his Rimouski Oceanic in London starting Saturday.

The proposed system would skew the lottery in favour of teams that have finished out of the playoffs in the past four seasons and not had the first overall selection in any of the past four entry drafts.

Nothing has been passed by the board of governors and isn't expected to be for some time, but it's believed the lottery will work like this:

Each team starts with four balls in the lottery.

Teams lose a ball for each year they qualified for the playoffs in the past four seasons.

Teams also lose a ball if they have had the first overall selection in any of the past four drafts.

Each team is guaranteed at least one ball.

Under that system, there would be a total of 60 balls in the lottery. The Leafs, along with 12 other teams, would have just one chance, giving them a 1.7 per cent likelihood of winning the lottery.

The Rangers and Columbus Blue Jackets would be the only teams in the league to have four balls in the lottery, giving them each a 6.7 per cent chance of winning.

The Blue Jackets had the first overall pick in the 2002 draft and selected Rick Nash, but they traded up for that pick with the Florida Panthers so that pick is assigned to Florida

Link

I have to say, I like Betteman's plan better. It gives much better odds to teams who didn't fare well the last 3-4 years. This version is much better for the powerhouse teams. I don't like it one bit. :(

Taxman

Dec 9, 2003
Visit site
Well you know, the conspiracy theorists will tell you that the NHL would love for the Rangers to get Crosby just from a marketing point of view.

I wonder if they can rig the lottery pretty easily. :amazed:

Lanny MacDonald*

HABSoluteDMB11 said:
If the Rangers end up with Crosby... :banghead: ...I will shoot myself in the head! I hate the Rangers :madfire:

I hate the Rangers as much as the next guy, but to be honest, they are one of the more deserving teams. I would have no problem with Crosby ending up in a Rangers uniform. It would really piss me off if he ended up in Colorado, Toronto, Philadelphia, Detroit, St. Louis, or Dallas. Those are the least deserving teams IMO. Anyone else and I would be satisfied for the most part.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I honestly think a lot of people on this board are going to be doing one or more of the following after the draft lottery takes place:

1. crying themselves to sleep

2. swearing off the NHL forever

3. spouting lame conspiracy theories

Also, I suspect the draft lottery thread will be among the worst in the history of this board, similar in "quality" to the WJC finals thread every year, which is nothing but a bunch of crying, chest thumping, and lame arguments.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Oh, I also hope the lottery is won by whichever team will annoy the most people here possible. So hopefully, the Rangers, Maple Leafs, Red Wings, Avalanche, Senators, or Devils.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
The Maple Leafs would have a 1.7 per cent chance of landing Sidney Crosby under the NHL's proposed lottery system for the next entry draft, while the New York Rangers would be one of two teams with the best shot of getting the junior superstar.

Ah, the Star. A model in journalistic integrity.

The implication of course is that it's unfair for the Rangers to get Crosby because they're New York. Nevermind the fact that they stink and the Leafs are a good team.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Taxman said:
This version is much better for the powerhouse teams. I don't like it one bit. :(

I don't understand why people are surprised by this. I've always suspected the final draft solution would be more beneficial for big market teams then the other way around. The NHL is about making money and doing a draft this way pleases the almighty dollar and can be passed off under the banner of 'equity and fairness'.

Epsilon said:
1. crying themselves to sleep

2. swearing off the NHL forever

3. spouting lame conspiracy theories

I agree. There seems to be a lot of delusional fans out there who are going to be doing 'all of the above'.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
westcoast said:
I don't understand why people are surprised by this. I've always suspected the final draft solution would be more beneficial for big market teams then the other way around.
Well, since there has been no season, whatever they come up with will probably yield a few goofy results. We should all expect that. It seems fair enough, I guess.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I don't get the theory behind the NHL wanting Crosby to go to a big market team like New York. Even though I hate mentioning Crosby and Gretzky in the same sentence, Crosby should follow the same route Gretzky did. He went to a basically unknown team at the time in the Edmonton Oilers, took them to greatness, then went to the States and made hockey big news there. He should go to an unknown team because the unknown teams are the ones that need the most marketing and the most help. We can use Lebron James as well. Aside from basketball nuts and Cavs fans, who the hell knew of them.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Isn't this just a rehashing of the story that we heard of two weeks ago (and that generated a thread with something like 50 pages)? What is new here?

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
I'm pretty nervous about the order. I felt the Rangers were a lock for a top 3 spot this year, a real cream of the crop prospect. I will dissapointed (not angered) if they don't pick top 3 or so. I just don't want to see them end up picking mid to late.

Patman

Feb 23, 2004
www.stat.uconn.edu
LPHabsFan said:
I don't get the theory behind the NHL wanting Crosby to go to a big market team like New York. Even though I hate mentioning Crosby and Gretzky in the same sentence, Crosby should follow the same route Gretzky did. He went to a basically unknown team at the time in the Edmonton Oilers, took them to greatness, then went to the States and made hockey big news there. He should go to an unknown team because the unknown teams are the ones that need the most marketing and the most help. We can use Lebron James as well. Aside from basketball nuts and Cavs fans, who the hell knew of them.

The idea is that there are certain cities that America loves more than others. New York is one of them, LA another. They hope that the large NY market will spend on a winner (mostly through merchandising) but a strong New York team will draw better on the road than a strong San Jose or Nashville team. Essentially the theory is that the league would want their "America's team" to campaign around and to schedule around. It is also difficult to sell a Canadian team to the US masses that the NHL still naively thinks they can get those types into their buildings.

Of course much of this idea is borne out of the minds of people who just happen to work and live in and around New York City. These are the people that write your ad campaigns and run the other nuts and bolts. Basically they get blinded by their own greatness and believe that their city is in fact revered and enamored.

All that being said, just by recent history the Rangers deserve a more than a fair chance at #1.

BTW, everybody in the US with a pulse knew about Lebron James... ESPN would talk about him non-stop in his last HS year. ESPN has no interest in hockey and a strong interest in basketball since they can sell it.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
this is not the final draft lottery plan, the same day that this article was written (2 weeks ago) there was a slam article that had a completely different version. they were similar but not the same. which means that no one knows what they are going to do and are just guessing to fill up article space...

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i think it's a fairly safe bet that the teams who picked top 7 last year at least (can't remember the draft order much beyond that, heh) were locks to be picking high in this years draft if there was a season.

people can say "oh but the sens/avs/wings/flyers/whoever could have bombed and be deserving of a top pick" pfft, not likely when you compare them to the teams who sucked last year.

i think it needs to be weighted so a team like the flyers or devils aren't likely to end up with a top 5 pick, but that's just me...

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Why all the bother with weighting? It could still lead to an unfair result. Why not just use whatever fairness formula to assign an order?

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I don't mind if it's done this way, and I think every team should have a chance at the top pick (granted, not the same chance). As long as it's done in a fair manner, the outcome of the lottery isn't an issue with me (although seeing my team draw that first pick would be pretty damn sweet). If Crosby goes to Tampa or New York, or even Toronto, so be it. I can't believe people are crying about this already, and nothing has even been decided yet.

Feb 12, 2003
While I do find the Draft Lottery interesting, I only see it as part of the story out there. Past the first overall pick, how do they plan on determining the draft order? Are they going to use the Draft Lottery to determine the entire order, so theoreticaly NYR & CBJ would get the top two picks?

Based on the article:
4 Balls: NYR & CBJ
3 Balls: ANA, ATL, BUF, CAL, CHI, FLA, MIN, MON, MTL, NSH, PHX
2 Balls: CAR, EDM, LA, PIT, TB
1 Ball: BOS, COL, DAL, DET, NJ, NYI, OTT, PHI, SJ, STL, TOR, VAN, WAS

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Converse said:
While I do find the Draft Lottery interesting, I only see it as part of the story out there. Past the first overall pick, how do they plan on determining the draft order? Are they going to use the Draft Lottery to determine the entire order, so theoreticaly NYR & CBJ would get the top two picks?

Based on the article:
4 Balls: NYR & CBJ
3 Balls: ANA, ATL, BUF, CAL, CHI, FLA, MIN, MON, MTL, NSH, PHX
2 Balls: CAR, EDM, LA, PIT, TB
1 Ball: BOS, COL, DAL, DET, NJ, NYI, OTT, PHI, SJ, STL, TOR, VAN, WAS

The Chances of the Rangers and CBJ getting the top 2 picks is like 3% if that.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
As much as i hate the rangers, they theoretically deserve a high pick

they have missed the playoffs the last 4 years despite spending million and million of dollars on wasted players

the draft is about helping a franchise turn it around and the rangers need some serious help so i think if they got the 1st pick overall, i wouldn't mind as much as if a perennial playoff team got it

Master Shake*

The Iconoclast said:
I hate the Rangers as much as the next guy, but to be honest, they are one of the more deserving teams. I would have no problem with Crosby ending up in a Rangers uniform. It would really piss me off if he ended up in Colorado, Toronto, Philadelphia, Detroit, St. Louis, or Dallas. Those are the least deserving teams IMO. Anyone else and I would be satisfied for the most part.

I agree with that.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
chriss_co said:
As much as i hate the rangers, they theoretically deserve a high pick

they have missed the playoffs the last 4 years despite spending million and million of dollars on wasted players

the draft is about helping a franchise turn it around and the rangers need some serious help so i think if they got the 1st pick overall, i wouldn't mind as much as if a perennial playoff team got it

correction the rangers have missed the playoffs the last 7 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad