Post-Game Talk: The fault in the Stars 7:30PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Disagree, I thought this was Ovie's best game in several weeks. He looked dangerous with the puck on several rushes in a way he hasn't for a long time.

yeah, true, he looked dangerous at the end when the team started rolling. i just remembered his giveaways in the O zone and laziness at the 1st half killing all pressure created by Oshie, but the whole team was bad then. I guess i have higher standards for him than for everyone else. when he doesn't score, i'm disappointment. We must win the cup this year, otherwise it will be so sad story, please caps don't waste such spectacular career and talent (praying to hockey gods)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think the point is that your best on a given day is sometimes below to well below your potential best. Right? The Caps are not going to be as good on the 3rd game in 4 nights or the 4th game in 6 nights as they are in the first of those games. After a long road trip, the first game at home is a struggle because there are a lot of distractions. That doesn't mean the effort isn't there. We act like if they have a bad day its a result of them coasting or something.

We don't know how many of them are playing thru injuries in a given game. We don't know who's kids were sick and kept them from eating and sleeping as they normally would. Even if they were machines they will run better on some days than others.

No. These are excuses for not being prepared. This is the **** people tell themselves when they want to feel better about failing, when they should be using failures as fuel to work harder, not less. There are enough hours in the day and enough days in the year to get yourself ready physically and mentally. It's the little things you do consistently that make you what you are. You don't save up your ability for just the right moment. You build your fortress brick by brick so that the championship is almost a foregone conclusion as a result of your work (luck willing).

Trophies don't go to teams who "Would Have Been The Best But Spent Time With The Kids" or "Could Have Been Better But Tried To Win With 80% Effort". They go to people who SACRIFICE.

We've seen them play well even during a compressed schedule. We know what they're capable of and so do they.

No more excuses. They talk about it but talk is cheap. Shut the **** up and bring it. Every day.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
The Caps also got some lucky breaks when the puck was around the net and the bounces went to our defensemen. This happened a lot in the first period.

We can't blame luck for this one. Self-inflicted wounds that cost the game. They were bad early on.

They flat out need to play better. They must play up to their potential every night. I'm tired of hearing about how it's not realistic. That's loser talk. Champions ****ing bring it. No excuses.

It's a long season. We aren't going to be all out awesome in every single game.

That said we outshot them 44-22

We had 82-48 shot attempt differential

XGF advantage of 4.5 vs 2.7

Ovechkin had 9 shots on goal

A third of our shots were high danger PP shots that didn't go in

We hit 2 posts crossbars. Heck we had 4+ odd man breaks where we didn't register a shot somehow

I'd say luck wasn't on our side

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I don't think anyone's complaining about the final 30 minutes, but we also shouldn't praise them for a good final 30 minutes either. The Stars have been terrible at holding leads this season so what the Capitals did was nothing special. This game is a prime example of score-effects in action.

There are plenty of games where the effort and execution is there but bad luck creates an unfavorable outcome. This is not one of them.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
No. These are excuses for not being prepared. This is the **** people tell themselves when they want to feel better about failing, when they should be using failures as fuel to work harder, not less. There are enough hours in the day and enough days in the year to get yourself ready physically and mentally. It's the little things you do consistently that make you what you are. You don't save up your ability for just the right moment. You build your fortress brick by brick so that the championship is almost a foregone conclusion as a result of your work (luck willing).

Trophies don't go to teams who "Would Have Been The Best But Spent Time With The Kids" or "Could Have Been Better But Tried To Win With 80% Effort". They go to people who SACRIFICE.

We've seen them play well even during a compressed schedule. We know what they're capable of and so do they.

No more excuses. They talk about it but talk is cheap. Shut the **** up and bring it. Every day.

Isn't this what we all want as fans? 100% effort. Unfortunately the mind and the body don't always adhere. Players get hurt, minds aren't always focused and driving maximum output.

Look at Ovy. Dude is in total coast mode this season and Gods love him, but we've seen it before. I wonder what impact that has on them?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's a long season. We aren't going to be all out awesome in every single game.

That said we outshot them 44-22

We had 82-48 shot attempt differential

XGF advantage of 4.5 vs 2.7

Ovechkin had 9 shots on goal

A third of our shots were high danger PP shots that didn't go in

We hit 2 posts crossbars. Heck we had 4+ odd man breaks where we didn't register a shot somehow

I'd say luck wasn't on our side

We gave up 3 bad goals due to our own errors, all early in periods. It's not about a long season or being "awesome" at all times. It's about being prepared and showing poise. It's about looking like you know what you're doing and executing a gameplan the best you can.

Putting passes on skates and making dumb, simple plays...or taking dumb penalties or flinging the puck into traffic for no reason...this is crap that athletes do when their heads aren't in it and they haven't been bearing down on the DETAILS that got them to the top in the first place.

Let's not delude ourselves. They have looked bad more than they've looked good since a few games before their break. They began coasting. That needs to stop. Now.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
The opposite night in DC.

- Caps lose at home and Stars win on the road.
- Holtby looks average and Lehtonen looks like a Vezina -candidate.
- Guys having brilliant seasons (Orpik, Backstrom, Orlov/Holtby), all are to blame for goal against.
- Sloppy start from the Capitals, quick start from the Stars.
- Other team dominated but Stars took their chances at much better %.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Trophies don't go to teams who "Would Have Been The Best But Spent Time With The Kids" or "Could Have Been Better But Tried To Win With 80% Effort". They go to people who SACRIFICE..

A little idealist, are we? So, when your kids get the flu, to put in your best effort, you go to a hotel and let the wife take care of it. Yea?

In the last 24/7 for the Caps Pens Winter Classic, Brouwer was shown picking his parents up at the airport. Let the wife do it. Right?

Of course they sacrifice. A lot of them sacrifice more than you could ever imagine. Somebody recently said that Ovechkin is hurt all of the time. Carlson tried to play thru a broken ankle last season. Alzner with his broken hands and trying to play thru that groin injury last playoffs. Orpik trying to play on a broken leg. This isn't sacrifice?

Didn't Wilson block a shot with his back against the Flyers? Do you know how much that hurts? its not like getting hit with a nerf ball.

edit: meanwhile all this is because the hockey team lost its first home game in 16 tries. as the man said, you cant always get what you want. but if you try sometimes, you can get what you need.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Isn't this what we all want as fans? 100% effort. Unfortunately the mind and the body don't always adhere. Players get hurt, minds aren't always focused and driving maximum output.

Look at Ovy. Dude is in total coast mode this season and Gods love him, but we've seen it before. I wonder what impact that has on them?

Control the things you can, forget about the things you can't. Their focus, preparation, and mentality are all 100% controllable. When those things are being taken care of you don't get the kinds of plays we've been seeing...at least not nearly this much or with mistakes being repeated.

As for Ovie, if he's not hurt it sets a bad example for the leader to be coasting.

When your scoring line guys are making dumb plays but the grinders who constantly throw themselves around are still playing hard and banging, that should tell you it isn't the "long season" wearing them all down. It's stars phoning it in and goldbricking either from fear of injury, laziness, false belief in "saving their energy", or some other motive.

Everyone is hurt at some point. By March I expect most teams are pretty bruised. The Caps have been among the healthiest in the league. I just can't see that as an excuse for the kind of DECISIONS that are being made, and HOW they're being made. That's not the grind, that's losing focus.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
A little idealist, are we? So, when your kids get the flu, to put in your best effort, you go to a hotel and let the wife take care of it. Yea?

In the last 24/7 for the Caps Pens Winter Classic, Brouwer was shown picking his parents up at the airport. Let the wife do it. Right?

Of course they sacrifice. A lot of them sacrifice more than you could ever imagine. Somebody recently said that Ovechkin is hurt all of the time. Carlson tried to play thru a broken ankle last season. Alzner with his broken hands and trying to play thru that groin injury last playoffs. Orpik trying to play on a broken leg. This isn't sacrifice?

Didn't Wilson block a shot with his back against the Flyers? Do you know how much that hurts? its not like getting hit with a nerf ball.

edit: meanwhile all this is because the hockey team lost its first home game in 16 tries. as the man said, you cant always get what you want. but if you try sometimes, you can get what you need.

It's not idealism it's reality. Either you believe in performance psychology or you don't. Most of the top athletes are throwing big money into making themselves better this way. If the Caps aren't then that explains why they keep choking.

See my previous post about the skill vs grinder guys.

Sacrifice doesn't begin and end with on-ice injuries and being "tough". It's about putting in the extra time and study, and making SURE you're 100% prepared for the next game. Then the next. Then the next. ONE GAME AT A TIME. EVERY GAME.

Idealism? Hardly. It's how champions are made. Just ask them. If you know any.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
When we're talking about applying maximum effort and execution I think you have to hold the coaches to this same standard as well. Obviously Trotz and co. have done much more right than wrong up to this point, but right now the coaching staff is coasting, much like they did toward the end of last season.

Things are getting stale and players aren't performing. It's not just Ovechkin (no ES goals in his past 15 or whatever games now). Williams (4 points in the last 9 games) and Johansson (pointless in 8 of the past 9 games) in particular have been struggling. Kuznetsov has played well but he has been forced to try to make plays individually in recent games and that could hurt the team eventually.

Basically when 3 of your top 6 have been flat-out terrible at what point do you say enough is enough and make a change? Allowing players to fight through bad puck-luck is one thing but over significant samples the current top-6 configuration is just not good enough.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The coaching staff is coasting....absurd notion imo floated because they don't do things you desire.

Massive winning streak = Trotz fixed the system
Slight ding in the armor - Trotz is asleep at the wheel

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Control the things you can, forget about the things you can't. Their focus, preparation, and mentality are all 100% controllable. When those things are being taken care of you don't get the kinds of plays we've been seeing...at least not nearly this much or with mistakes being repeated.

As for Ovie, if he's not hurt it sets a bad example for the leader to be coasting.

When your scoring line guys are making dumb plays but the grinders who constantly throw themselves around are still playing hard and banging, that should tell you it isn't the "long season" wearing them all down. It's stars phoning it in and goldbricking either from fear of injury, laziness, false belief in "saving their energy", or some other motive.

Everyone is hurt at some point. By March I expect most teams are pretty bruised. The Caps have been among the healthiest in the league. I just can't see that as an excuse for the kind of DECISIONS that are being made, and HOW they're being made. That's not the grind, that's losing focus.

I'm just saying they're human. What we want as fans may not always be realistic or attainable. Yes in a perfect world we have a team of hockey playing monks who eat, live and breath hockey in quest of the Cup.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
This is the biggest thing: they've actually done it and they did it pretty ****ing consistently. This isn't some ideal standard set by perennially pessimistic Cup-starved fans, it's what they've shown they're capable of when fully engaged. Their primary focus should be on getting back to the rhythm they'd sustained. It's an elusive thing and collective but if their focus isn't on regaining that they're idiots because that was the most dominant stretch in the Ovechkin Era. If they happen to be shifting away from that for some reason rather than just not thinking about it at all that's even worse.

It seems like they're reverting back to just going what it takes to win. The Shattenkirk effect thus far hasn't been galvanizing in helping them reach a new level of play but has rather further fueled overconfidence and a tendency to slacking off because they're so good on paper. Slow starts set the tone. They have, what, zero goals in four first periods since Shattenkirk arrived?

All the coaching staff needs to do is show video from when they were churning along. All of the little things they were doing are right there on video. That level of timing and focus hasn't been there since the break and it's on them to find it. The coaching staff and team has appeared to coast every year down the stretch since Trotz arrived. If the team does it yet again then it'll be hard to be too bullish on their chances. This forward is not so stellar as to put in suspect work and produce sufficiently. I could maybe see it if the PP were humming along but it isn't. The forwards need to be gearing up to play a more vigorous, muscular game better able to translate over into the playoffs. Playing out the string will IMO ultimately lead to the same dried up offense as they typically produce when it matters. The competition coming up is pretty stiff so they shouldn't be able to get away with BS play at least.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I mean, it happens.

Pittsburgh is 4-4 in their last 8, including losing to Dallas and being drubbed by Chicago and Detroit.

I'm more concerned about Ovechkin. Though, he looked a bit better last night.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The coaching staff is coasting....absurd notion imo floated because they don't do things you desire.

Massive winning streak = Trotz fixed the system
Slight ding in the armor - Trotz is asleep at the wheel

Given that Trotz and staff allowed the team to coast last season and stuck with a stale lineup until it was too late (so much so that the theme around here was "flip the switch") and given that bad tendencies are creeping up yet again at pretty much the same time as they did last season, why should we believe the staff is doing everything they can rather than just repeating last season's mistakes?

Their superstar forward is going through his worst spell in his career and instead of doing something to kickstart him they are just letting him flounder along. If he's injured then sit him. If he's coasting then motivate him. If it's a matter of chemistry then change the chemistry. It might be a combination of all three but the simple fact is there have been no changes to his ice time, deployment, or linemates (save when Oshie has been injured) and predictably the results have been poor as well in recent weeks.

I'm not really interested in giving the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt given their track record.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm just saying they're human. What we want as fans may not always be realistic or attainable. Yes in a perfect world we have a team of hockey playing monks who eat, live and breath hockey in quest of the Cup.

I'm not speaking as a fan who demands to be entertained, I'm speaking as an athlete who trains daily and someone who's studied sports psychology every day for decades. These things I'm saying are coming from established PhDs and coaches as well as players at the highest levels.

In the pros the margins of victory are razor thin. Some squads fall backwards into the right "chemistry" and combination of roster and coaching style, but more often than not the top player/squad in any major sport is absolutely 100% actively working on gaining the slightest mental edge over his opponent.

We see the athlete as casual and nonchalant and assume that's how he got to where he is, but it's a byproduct of the work that has gone before. It's the swagger that comes from the confidence you cultivate every day through your training, both mentally and physically. It never ends because like any muscle your mind can atrophy. This team has not learned that in 10 years.

Raw talent can only take you so far, as this team keeps finding out. They need to challenge themselves more so that when the real pressure is on they're not just prepared, they're comfortable and in flow.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This is the biggest thing: they've actually done it and they did it pretty ****ing consistently. This isn't some ideal standard set by perennially pessimistic Cup-starved fans, it's what they've shown they're capable of when fully engaged. Their primary focus should be on getting back to the rhythm they'd sustained. It's an elusive thing and collective but if their focus isn't on regaining that they're idiots because that was the most dominant stretch in the Ovechkin Era. If they happen to be shifting away from that for some reason rather than just not thinking about it at all that's even worse.

It seems like they're reverting back to just going what it takes to win. The Shattenkirk effect thus far hasn't been galvanizing in helping them reach a new level of play but has rather further fueled overconfidence and a tendency to slacking off because they're so good on paper. Slow starts set the tone. They have, what, zero goals in four first periods since Shattenkirk arrived?

All the coaching staff needs to do is show video from when they were churning along. All of the little things they were doing are right there on video. That level of timing and focus hasn't been there since the break and it's on them to find it. The coaching staff and team has appeared to coast every year down the stretch since Trotz arrived. If the team does it yet again then it'll be hard to be too bullish on their chances. This forward is not so stellar as to put in suspect work and produce sufficiently. I could maybe see it if the PP were humming along but it isn't. The forwards need to be gearing up to play a more vigorous, muscular game better able to translate over into the playoffs. Playing out the string will IMO ultimately lead to the same dried up offense as they typically produce when it matters. The competition coming up is pretty stiff so they shouldn't be able to get away with BS play at least.

I know editing is a factor, but what was the one thing you kept hearing after the Shatty trade? Some version of "the pressure is on". This is not how they should be thinking. Has the goal changed? Was that trade a signal that "hey we were just kidding about the Cup before, but now everyone EXPECTS you to win so BOOGA BOOGA"?

I also sensed a red flag when gmbm revealed that Ovie was in favor of making a move while Backstrom was not. Was NB the only guy in the locker room that was apprehensive about changing things up? Probably not. There's probably still a bit of a ripple effect there in addition to some growing pains for Shatty.

The coaches need to get control of the situation as much as they're able, which includes more practice on the right things (we know what they are by now), but the players didn't really seem to become RECEPTIVE to this coaching until early December when they had their players only meeting.

The LEADERSHIP in that locker room needs to get things back on track. From out here it's hard to say how much influence on that chain reaction the coaches have. I suspect it has to start with a few key players.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not speaking as a fan who demands to be entertained, I'm speaking as an athlete who trains daily and someone who's studied sports psychology every day for decades. These things I'm saying are coming from established PhDs and coaches as well as players at the highest levels.

In the pros the margins of victory are razor thin. Some squads fall backwards into the right "chemistry" and combination of roster and coaching style, but more often than not the top player/squad in any major sport is absolutely 100% actively working on gaining the slightest mental edge over his opponent.

We see the athlete as casual and nonchalant and assume that's how he got to where he is, but it's a byproduct of the work that has gone before. It's the swagger that comes from the confidence you cultivate every day through your training, both mentally and physically. It never ends because like any muscle your mind can atrophy. This team has not learned that in 10 years.

Raw talent can only take you so far, as this team keeps finding out. They need to challenge themselves more so that when the real pressure is on they're not just prepared, they're comfortable and in flow.

I guess what's your point? They're mentally weak? Don't have what it takes? That might be the sad truth at the end of Ovy's career.

I think we know the level of sacrifice that MIGHT win you a CUP, but that's not the only way it goes down.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Given that Trotz and staff allowed the team to coast last season and stuck with a stale lineup until it was too late (so much so that the theme around here was "flip the switch") and given that bad tendencies are creeping up yet again at pretty much the same time as they did last season, why should we believe the staff is doing everything they can rather than just repeating last season's mistakes?

Their superstar forward is going through his worst spell in his career and instead of doing something to kickstart him they are just letting him flounder along. If he's injured then sit him. If he's coasting then motivate him. If it's a matter of chemistry then change the chemistry. It might be a combination of all three but the simple fact is there have been no changes to his ice time, deployment, or linemates (save when Oshie has been injured) and predictably the results have been poor as well in recent weeks.

I'm not really interested in giving the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt given their track record.

The 700 wins track record? "if he's coasting, motivate him". Is that with a light switch? So simple right? LOL....Same with "they allowed the team to coast". So simple from your KB right? There's no changing the chemistry of the team at this point. I think this again comes back to you wanting him with 92, but you don't want to be accused of spamming it again. ;)

Superstar egos are not always so easily manipulated as the list of former NHL coaches will show you. I think more of this is on the player to carry his weight and stop playing poorly. We've seen signs of life recently and it all seems like a simple uptick in effort. Both encouraging and disheartening given we'd all like a more consistent work ethic right? The coach blame is a little convenient sometimes for my tastes.

Last edited:

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Rest of reg season: win or lose just look like you're building something coherent that has all the pieces in their right place

Playoffs: just ****ing win

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
After every good (5 day) break you need time to get back into the sharpest condition. Especially if you had a really good rest. I think its early to decide if they are incapable.

But this Shattenkirk guy was Blues' 3RD for a reason probably.

Time will tell

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
PP Specialist ;)

Truth be told we have had the best PP without him, for years. It is nice to add him of course, as our PP had become stale.

But he is no savior, he was just the top PMD available. A good addition regardless of any defensively deficiencies, for we need to prepare for playoff injuries and suspensions.

Who is his defensive game most comparable to, Schmidt, Green?

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ov had 9 shots on goal last game. Didn't look like he was coasting to me.

Shattenkirk's role with the Blues was very similar to Mike Green's role his last year with the Caps except he retained his pp1 spot. I've read that he chafed against that role and wanted a bigger one. I've heard that he is better defensively than Green. I haven't see that yet but its easy to assign that to not knowing the team. Figure at least 20 games for that and based on Winnik it can take til next season before he gets it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->