The Fans Top 50 Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Perry is most certainly a top 50 prospect. Notice Eric Fehr is at #50. Notice Perry lasted longer than him at the WJC camps not once but twice, and the second time, Perry beat out Fehr for the same job. Maybe it is just junior, but I think it means something.

With the exception of the top prospects Anaheim has (Chistov, Lupul, Getzlaf, etc.), I think all other Ducks prospects get undervalued because they're Anaheim's prospects. Corey Perry, who could end up a very good 2nd or 1st liner, doesn't make the top 50. Ladislav Smid, a guy who could end up like Mattias Ohlund, wouldn't probably make it to the top 60, or top 75.

Same thing goes for players. With the exception of Sergei Fedorov, alot of Ducks players are undervalued. After the playoffs, Giguere had one bad season, and he's no longer in the top 10 or even top 15 goalies in the league. Petr Sykora is a second liner at best, and Sandis Ozolinsh is just some forward playing defense(that's based on what he did in Colorado and Carolina).

Hopefully in the future guys who play in places like Anaheim and Carolina and Phoenix won't be undervalued because they're not popular teams. Then again, maybe I'm just a Ducks fan ranting because Perry didn't make the top 50, or maybe I have a point.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
About right where he should be. I prefer him to some of the names above him, in fact.

Overall, I can't say I agree with many things on this list. Parise at 13 was one of the better calls. Might even be two or three spots higher on my list.

So, for example, you would take him over Carter and Kostitsyn , who are both below him?

Also, out of curiosity, who are the guys ahead of him you prefer him to?

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Also, While most of you know I am a Flyer fan, and I can show bias from time to time, I don't think Parise is 26 spots hgher than Richards.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
nomorekids said:
Not necessarily. Kesler was called, from the start, a "good third liner, decent second liner" whereas Upshall was called "good second liner, at worst third liner." Upshall's skills aren't in question...his tendency to get injured is.

Here's the difference: Kesler is proving to be more than "just a third liner" where Upshall is proving to be much less than a second liner.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Legionnaire said:
Here's the difference: Kesler is proving to be more than "just a third liner" where Upshall is proving to be much less than a second liner.

Just how is he proving that? WHEN he is healthy...he's by far the most skilled forward on one of the best teams in the AHL. You can't call him "less than a second liner" because of injuries. If that's the case..well..you're a Kings fan...are Allison and Deadmarsh fourth liners? Upshall has done a lot with the time he's been healthy...he just can't stay that way.

Disco Volante

Mar 11, 2002
2nd to FloydianSlip
Visit site
gonzopher said:
Hey, Disco, nice work seeing this thing through ... Would it be too much trouble to ask you to edit the original post, and put the HF rankings in parentheses next to each player? Compare/contrast up/downs between the two lists might be fun ...

Done

10 players were on HF's top and not on this one :

29- Ray Emery
31- Andrew Ladd
33- AJ Thelen
35- Keith Ballard
36- Corey Perry
38- Antoine Vermette
40- JDD
47- Derek Roy
48- Steve Bernier
49- Chris Higgins

They've been replaced with :

31- Alexander Radulov
35- Andrej Meszaros
38- Niklas Kronwall
40- Scottie Upshall
41- Henrik Lundqvist
42- Shea Weber
43- Mikko Koivu
46- Dan Fritsche
47- Alex Perezhogin
48- Mark Stuart

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
nomorekids said:
You can't call him "less than a second liner" because of injuries. If that's the case..well..you're a Kings fan...are Allison and Deadmarsh fourth liners?

As a Kings fan, I'd **** myself to see either Allison or Deadmarsh even play on the 4th line minutes... but I guess that's not your point :D

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
Disco Volante said:
Done

10 players were on HF's top and not on this one :

29- Ray Emery
31- Andrew Ladd
33- AJ Thelen
35- Keith Ballard
36- Corey Perry
38- Antoine Vermette
40- JDD
47- Derek Roy
48- Steve Bernier
49- Chris Higgins

They've been replaced with :

31- Alexander Radulov
35- Andrej Meszaros
38- Niklas Kronwall
40- Scottie Upshall
41- Henrik Lundqvist
42- Shea Weber
43- Mikko Koivu
46- Dan Fritsche
47- Alex Perezhogin
48- Mark Stuart

Good replacements IMO :)

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Not a bad list, I think Kronwall is being underrated. For the habs propsect Perezhogin should be higher and Kostisyn is probly a little to high ont he list should probly move back several spots, good to see people recognize his high potential but some safer prospects such as Getzlaf and Brown should probly deserve to be ahead on the list.

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
eddy said:
Not a bad list, I think Kronwall is being underrated. For the habs propsect Perezhogin should be higher and Kostisyn is probly a little to high ont he list should probly move back several spots, good to see people recognize his high potential but some safer prospects such as Getzlaf and Brown should probly deserve to be ahead on the list.
A Habs fan saying Kost should be lower... Good on ya:)

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Interesting list.

Only thing I'd wonder is if Cam Barker's really the 9th best prospect out there.

While I think he's a potentially good one, I don't know if I'd have him that high.

That might just be grasping, but only thing I could think of that I'd wonder about.

And not to include Eric Fehr would be a crime. (Oh wait, that's happened on the WJC team, why not here? ;))

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I would have Jeff Carter in my top 10 IMO

Like Chimaera pointed out Cam Barker ... How would you measure these two players against each other at the NHL level to feel that Barker will be the better player ??..

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Disco Volante said:
Fehr is 50th!

No... someone earlier raised the point about people having a debate over whether or not Fehr should be on the list.

I agree he should be on it.

How high, who knows. I'm not sure whether or not just a shot alone should put you very high, and where he is works for me. I think he should be higher, but that's just grasping.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Hercules Rockefeller said:
Perry is most certainly a top 50 prospect. Notice Eric Fehr is at #50. Notice Perry lasted longer than him at the WJC camps not once but twice, and the second time, Perry beat out Fehr for the same job. Maybe it is just junior, but I think it means something.

With the exception of the top prospects Anaheim has (Chistov, Lupul, Getzlaf, etc.), I think all other Ducks prospects get undervalued because they're Anaheim's prospects. Corey Perry, who could end up a very good 2nd or 1st liner, doesn't make the top 50. Ladislav Smid, a guy who could end up like Mattias Ohlund, wouldn't probably make it to the top 60, or top 75.

Same thing goes for players. With the exception of Sergei Fedorov, alot of Ducks players are undervalued. After the playoffs, Giguere had one bad season, and he's no longer in the top 10 or even top 15 goalies in the league. Petr Sykora is a second liner at best, and Sandis Ozolinsh is just some forward playing defense(that's based on what he did in Colorado and Carolina).

Hopefully in the future guys who play in places like Anaheim and Carolina and Phoenix won't be undervalued because they're not popular teams. Then again, maybe I'm just a Ducks fan ranting because Perry didn't make the top 50, or maybe I have a point.

As a caps fan, I concede that Perry could be as good a prospect as Fehr. I know i'll be watching both of them development with great interest.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Vlad The Impaler said:
About right where he should be. I prefer him to some of the names above him, in fact.

Overall, I can't say I agree with many things on this list. Parise at 13 was one of the better calls. Might even be two or three spots higher on my list.

I'd like to see that list.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
nomorekids said:
It's true. Guys who can score in the WHL...ALWAYS transfer it to the NHL. ALWAYS.

*shakes fist* ALWAYS!
So a Homer caps fan makes a statement about their draft pick and you take a shot at the WHL

*shakes fist* ALWAYS !

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
The Messenger said:
So a Homer caps fan makes a statement about their draft pick and you take a shot at the WHL

*shakes fist* ALWAYS !

nah, i'm a WHL fan...and I wasn't really taking a shot at the league..just pointing out that stats in junior don't always mean a thing. Marty Murray, Pavel Brendl and Hnat Dominichelli can attest. In fact...to make a comparison Caps fans should understand...Trent Whitfield can, as well.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Captain Conservative said:
I'd like to see that list.

That was a figure of speech :)

The last time I did one was last year, for The Pucks top 50 (which didn't go up, for reasons that escape me).

I suspect it wouldn't be terribly popular. Michalek would certainly not be anywhere near top 10. Probably around 15 or 20. Ryan Miller would certainly not be top 40 and most probably would not be in the top 50. Ryan Suter would go down.

Carter and Parise up a tiny few notches, Vanek down very slightly.

Glad that Antero Niitymaki is finally getting some recognition around here. He might make it barely in my top 50. Not sure Radulov should make it. At least, no way he makes it before Mike Richards for me.

I would put Mikko Koivu way up, as usual. I've been saying he is one of the most overrated prospect for two years now. I think Andrew Ladd might be the new Mikko Koivu. He definitly doesn't get any respect but I suspect he is going to work his way up over the years.

Very glad that Mark Stuart made it and at this point, I'd rather have him over the highly ranked Ryan Whitney. His brand of safe, intense hockey is going to prove invaluable, IMO. Ryan Whitney makes my top 50 purely based on his immense but unlikely potential.

I might raise Grebeshkov a bit. He's comfortably in a similar quality range as Suter, IMO. So is Tyutin, for that matter. So Suter down and Greb up.

Upshall doesn't do it for me. I dunno what it is. I love the way he plays but he is not effective. Everytime I watch him, he skates around and seems to lack anticipation. He plays intense shifts lacking in focus and efficiency. I'd rather put someone else in there with a more promising pro upside.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Vlad The Impaler said:
I would put Mikko Koivu way up, as usual. I've been saying he is one of the most overrated prospect for two years now. I think Andrew Ladd might be the new Mikko Koivu. He definitly doesn't get any respect but I suspect he is going to work his way up over the years.

Hmm Freudian slip? :snide:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad