The (Faint) Hope Thread: Recent Playoff Chase History

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
2007–08 Edmonton Oilers season - Wikipedia

This gives me a glimmer of hope. The team was 16-20-4 to end December and they missed the playoffs by three points. A healthy roster has the ability to go on a tear probably more impressive than the Gagner/Cogliano one did. But every time I see a loss like the Buffalo one or the Philly one, I question if the heart is there throughout the lineup.

I still think the Chad Johnson deal should've been done yesterday. They could've even given Brossoit another game on this roadtrip, but now he almost has to play all of them.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They're likely done. Too much pressure and frustration is hard for a young team to overcome.

The bigger question soon will will likely be what's the future of this group. Are they going to miss once and get back ala Calgary? Do they miss twice like Winnipeg? Or do they snowball into the abyss like Colorado?

We don't have any real cap room for massive changes in the summer so I think this could be like Winnipeg.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You're right, the Kings are better.

Here is what I am trying to suggest to you...

The Flames have a 1-1 record against the Blues and the goal differential is zero. The Flames have won the only game they played against the Kings. They beat the Kings 4-3.
The Oilers have lost against the Blues both times they have played and the goal differential is -8.
The Oilers have beaten the Flames both times this season and the goal differential is +5.

So what does this mean?

There is no way to look at the results from the games with the Blues and surmise that the Kings will be an even tougher opponent for the Oilers.

The teams are different and the matchups will be different.
They are separate and in no way can you use one team to predict the outcome against another team.

Just have to let the games play out.

Last edited:

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Here is what I am trying to suggest to you...

The Flames have a 1-1 record against the Blues and the goal differential is zero. The Flames have won the only game they played against the Kings. They beat the Kings 4-3.
The Oilers have lost against the Blues both times they have played and the goal differential is -8.
The Oilers have beaten the Flames both times this season and the goal differential is +5.

So what does this mean?

There is no way to look at the results from the games with the Blues and surmise that the Kings will be an even tougher opponent for the Oilers.

The teams are different and the matchups will be different.
They are separate and in no way can you use one team to predict the outcome against another team.

Just have to let the games play out.

You're really overthinking it. The Oilers have sucked ass in about 80 percent of the games they have played this year. The King's have looked good in 80. That's about all I need to see.

It's a pretty safe bet to assume teams like Vegas LA and San Jose are going to get the better of us over the course of this season. I mean unless they are all playing their 5th string goaltenders.

The Arizona Coyotes are a tough opponent for the Oilers this year. So it's fair to assume LA will be insanely tough.

Reactions: oljimmy

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
1.If McD gets back in terminator form after his illness. 2. Sekera performs right from the gates 3. Talbot back fast and at least 80% form from last season or a new back up on steroids!4. Larsson back Asap and Klefbomb back on track!

Then we have a outside chance to reach the playoffs!

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
This.

There are 2 things that work in their favor this season. The first is that the Pacific Division is a weak division this year. The 2nd is that the bulk of their games in the latter part of the season are against Pacific division teams.

If these things weren't a reality then this team would be in too big of a hole to climb out of IMO.

The kicker is injuries and maintaining a .500 record over the next week. They need to get some key players back quickly.
If they get Larsson, Talbot and Sekera back in the next week then their lineup gets a huge shot in the arm.

That said they still need to sort out this leadership issue in short order.

There is currently 5 teams ahead of us for a wildcard position. One of those teams plays better than the Oilers they are toast.

Third in the pacific is our only chance, and we would have to sweep a series against a team like San Jose to even get back to even with them. We then have to outplay them over the remainder of the season.

I don't know how people have faith in the Oilers beating the Pacific Division this year. I don't even have faith they can beat a single team in this league on any given night. Somehow this tire fire that hasn't even strung together 3(and you could argue 2) good games in a row is going to dominate the Pacific Division? Forget it.

You can pretty much boil it down to the fact the Oilers need to essentially play .660 hockey to make the playoffs. Only Washington Pittsburgh and Chicago played to that pace last year. It isn't happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: oljimmy

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We're almost 30 games into the season and the Oilers have yet to win back to back games in regulation. If it wasn't for overtime magic this team is probably right there with the Coyotes.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Has this idiotic coaching staff even adjusted the pk formation, etc yet? It looks the same. Lay out the red carpet for those cross seam passes boys. Historic low pk % coming up and this staff can't even adjust.

Gregor had a good article on it. Staples sees it. Everybody and their mothers see it besides the coaches.

Don't even get me started on PP personell. These guys are clinically insane. Trying the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
That's what scares me. This team wouldn't stand a chance against the Kings.

Pacific has more teams than the Kings. Including SJS, VGK, VAN, CGY who imo we match up favourably to. Then ANA who you have to think we split a series with.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Pacific has more teams than the Kings. Including SJS, VGK, VAN, CGY who imo we match up favourably to. Then ANA who you have to think we split a series with.

Can you provide any sort of back up to us being a favorable match against any team besides Calgary? Because from what I have seen in the first third of the season there is no team in the league that the Oilers have a favorable match against. Think guys are still thinking about the 16-17 Oilers.

I'm sorry but I am not one to think the switch can just be flipped. The Oilers have been one of the worst teams in the league this year. To expect that to just instantly turn around( which it needs to in order for them to have a shot) is wishful thinking.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You're really overthinking it. The Oilers have sucked ass in about 80 percent of the games they have played this year. The King's have looked good in 80. That's about all I need to see.

It's a pretty safe bet to assume teams like Vegas LA and San Jose are going to get the better of us over the course of this season. I mean unless they are all playing their 5th string goaltenders.

The Arizona Coyotes are a tough opponent for the Oilers this year. So it's fair to assume LA will be insanely tough.

Thats your take.
Aside from St Louis the Oilers have actually looked pretty good against the better teams so far.
Will it continue...who knows.
I am going to wait and watch the game before I make a definitive prediction on how things will play out.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Thats your take.
The Oilers have actually looked pretty good against the better teams so far. Will it continue...who knows.
I am going to wait and watch the game before I make a definitive prediction on how things will play out.

Yeah I dunno, they haven't even played the big boys in the Pacific yet besides a freebie vs Vegas.

All I seem to remember in terms of top teams is the Blues Capitals and Jets embarassing us. Maybe we played well against the Pens. What other top teams have we even played this year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Thats your take.
Aside from St Louis the Oilers have actually looked pretty good against the better teams so far.
Will it continue...who knows.
Shame there's also just as many shitty teams, which the Oilers seem to love giving free points to.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
We've entered miracle territory now.

8 games back from the Flames who hold the 2nd Wild Card. Then, you have Minnesota, Chicago and Anaheim all chasing from a much stronger position - they also happen to be better teams than the Oilers. I would imagine Chiarelli and friends are aware of this reality and looking at what the longer term plan for the team should be.

The Oilers need a stretch like 14-4-2 over their next 20 games to get back into it. With the current roster and the way our special teams and goaltending have been this season, I cannot see it happening. If they pull it off, it will be one of the biggest comebacks during a season (rivaling the Caps in 2007-2008) in league history.

We also see that LA is resurgent and Vegas aren't a joke. This just underscores that last season might have been the best chance to push for the Cup. Hopefully some of our young players are stars in the waiting (Yamamoto and Puljujarvi), the coaching staff gets shaken up in the off season, Talbot returns to form and we can add a better no.2 goalie. The league is just too competitive to have holes in your roster or weakness in your systems (coaching).

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
When it recently leaked that McDavid has been dealing with diarrhea since the beginning of the season I realized what a true warrior and how special this kid is.

I think once this diarrhea stops this team could go on an absolute tear and squeeze into the playoffs.

I do question the team doctor as to why it's gone on this long, I'm not behind the scenes but I'm wondering if we need to fire him to turn this season around? Maybe we need to add a health promotion nurse to teach the guys about proper cleaning/hygiene and germ mitigation, they are young guys and God knows it took me a while to learn about proper cleanliness too.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Shred of Hope Post - chances are slim of making the playoffs, (but I'm an eternal optimist to my own demise)

Last season at 32 games the Oilers had a record of 15-12-5 (35pts) the finished with a record of 47-26-9 (103pts)
In their last 50 games they finished with a record of 32-14-4 (68pts)

This season they have 28pts
If they can go on a similar run (28pts + 68pts) they could finish with 96pts, likely good enough to make the playoffs.

There you have it folks, something to hold on to.. :sarcasm:
Is this team worse then last years team? Maybe, but the jury is still out on that one based on their play the last 3 weeks which has been much better despite the results.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
The Oilers have proved they can go against any team in the league and win when they put in the work.

Unfortunately they've also proven they have at best a 50/50 shot because of their special teams and goaltending woes.

The playoffs are toast. They've played 4 strong games and can only muster a .500 record.
I'm just happy they're playing hard. Watching them zzzzzzzzzzzzz against the likes of Philadelphia and Dallas was painful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad