Injury Report: The facts are in on Lost man games

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
To assume that injuries had no effect in the standings seems disingenuous. Imagine a healthy D Corp where Stuart spent most of the season in the press box. That would have no effect on the standings?

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Then please explain why the Jets were bad in December, Jan, Feb when they were mostly healthy (minus Myers and 8 games of Laine)

Why should also send Enstrom down to the AHL based on the Jets' record when he doesn't play. :sarcasm:

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I would argue that if even only little wasn't injured and played 82 games then the jets are in the playoffs...

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
Doing the math according the impact on points as given at the MGL site - when you take into account each teams injuries the Jets would have finished third in the Central behind the Hawks and Wild.

A top 10 team. With no better than .907 goaltending. That doesn't seem realistic when all the teams finishing in the top 9 all had starting tender numbers .920 or better.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
A top 10 team. With no better than .907 goaltending. That doesn't seem realistic when all the teams finishing in the top 9 all had starting tender numbers .920 or better.

Maybe a healthier dcoreand little full year with the other key guys will result in better defensive play and system.

Thus having less chances for opponent with premium high quality chances.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
I would also speculated that not all injuries are bad luck. In a physical game, there will certainly be injuries that are caused by an opponent's knee or stick, but I think there is a coaching element at play here too; on at least a couple of levels.

1) A coach who seems to have a total disinterest in building a fourth line who can play for more than 4 minutes a night. Those extra minutes get loaded onto fewer players. Especially during the "32 games in 60 days" stretch, that is an unconscionable approach to player deployment that would almost certainly lead to increased injury risk through fatigue and exposure.

2) The ultra-passive PK system that allows opposing D to bomb away from the point while the Jets defenders stand in front of NHL slap shots. Again, shot blocking is a part of the NHL, but the Jets have to do more of it than other teams; both because they take so many penalties and because their PK system forces them to allow more of those shots.

There may be others, and I am not suggesting that there isn't a big element of luck, but I have little doubt that a different coaching approach in these two areas would help.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
There were so many things that could have been fixed relatively easily this season, that I dislike providing the coaching with any excuses.

But of course the injuries didn't help matters any.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If we compare to their playoff year, they had more MGL in total (roughly 100 more i believe)

However, in 2014-2015 they had more man games lost to Dmen compared to this year

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
In 2014 / 2015 Jets were middle of the pack for Injuries. As for D, this year we were missing Myers basically all season and Enstrom for a while. Maybe more important though and not counted as an injury was Trouba's hold out.

If we compare to their playoff year, they had more MGL in total (roughly 100 more i believe)

However, in 2014-2015 they had more man games lost to Dmen compared to this year

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Right. Which is why I was pressing - I was trying to discern what point you were trying to make.

You have to admit that they're partially to blame for at least a portion of last year's record. This does NOT absolve coaching and front office from other issues. Both can be an issue.

They wouldn't automatically be better, but it's difficult to argue that it would hurt them - fix some of the other issues that I mentioned AND be healthier, and I don't know how anyone could argue that we'd be in a better spot next year.

I agree that injuries played a part. My point of contention is against the narrative that "injuries were the difference between making or missing the playoffs".

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I agree that injuries played a part. My point of contention is against the narrative that "injuries were the difference between making or missing the playoffs".

I personally don't think they were - I think lack of front office activity post-Christmas was the problem (for whatever reason: hard to make trades because of XD and cap situations amongst teams, inability or unwillingness to make trades, etc).

That played a bigger part, IMO. Neither helped.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
To assume that injuries had no effect in the standings seems disingenuous. Imagine a healthy D Corp where Stuart spent most of the season in the press box. That would have no effect on the standings?

+ all those games where Chiarot played 20-25 minutes

stimpsoncat

Jan 5, 2014

Of course the injuries didn't help but I think the actions of Maurice and the inactions of Chevy were far more damaging to the season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

You might be right this season (with the cut-off at 94 points). But I'm not convinced that if the Jets had basically no injuries (like the Leafs) and didn't miss Trouba for the first month that they couldn't have made up 7 points in the standings.

Still, hard to make the playoffs with such low performance in goal.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I personally don't think they were - I think lack of front office activity post-Christmas was the problem (for whatever reason: hard to make trades because of XD and cap situations amongst teams, inability or unwillingness to make trades, etc).

That played a bigger part, IMO. Neither helped.

Other than in net, which I was hoping Chevy fixes, inactivity by Chevy is more likely than not to benefit us in the future. Teams would fall all over themselves to move fading vets on big ticket contracts to us for one or more of our cost controlled kids. In the short term we would have been better and filled some of our injury gaps but in the long term not so much.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Other than in net, which I was hoping Chevy fixes, inactivity by Chevy is more likely than not to benefit us in the future. Teams would fall all over themselves to move fading vets on big ticket contracts to us for one or more of our cost controlled kids. In the short term we would have been better and filled some of our injury gaps but in the long term not so much.

I preferred that Chevy didn't make silly in-season moves to waste organizational assets to try and become a bubble team and get paddled out in round one.

I know Chevy gets a hard time for not making moves but there is a time to make them and a time not to. I didn't think last year was the time to make moves especially with all the constraints (XD considerations).

Ah well. I am enjoying the playoffs this year even without the Jets. They'll make it next year.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg

I actually said "THIS IS A MAJOR REASON WHY WE DIDN'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. PERIOD!" So it was one of the main reasons was my point.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
This doesn't match the actual team performance. Map the injuries to the team's w-l record. Doesn't jive in terms of why we didn't make the playoffs. If you are looking for a consolation prize or explanation as to why we didn't make the playoffs, you could just as easily use the other things that don't jive. Like schedule, bad calls, puck luck. I am not saying that injuries don't affect you. But if you map our injuries to our performance, you can't conclude that we would have made the playoffs if not for injuries.

Goaltending, coaching and defence. Fix two of those three and we get into the playoffs next year. Regardless of schedule, puck luck, bad calls, injuries, weather, rabbit's feet etc.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
This doesn't match the actual team performance. Map the injuries to the team's w-l record. Doesn't jive in terms of why we didn't make the playoffs. If you are looking for a consolation prize or explanation as to why we didn't make the playoffs, you could just as easily use the other things that don't jive. Like schedule, bad calls, puck luck. I am not saying that injuries don't affect you. But if you map our injuries to our performance, you can't conclude that we would have made the playoffs if not for injuries.

Goaltending, coaching and defence. Fix two of those three and we get into the playoffs next year. Regardless of schedule, puck luck, bad calls, injuries, weather, rabbit's feet etc.

Did this team even play one game with our complete D in the lineup?

In other words we have nothing to compare the other 82 games to.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Our 7 game winning streak was with important starters missing -- Enstrom, Myers, Matthais all jump to mind.

The eight game stretch in January without a win doesn't count? Not sure what you are trying to say.

Here's what is most probable:

Less injuries = more points in the standings.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Our 7 game winning streak was with important starters missing -- Enstrom, Myers, Matthais all jump to mind.

Well pavelec was our starting goalie when we made the playoffs and we missed last year without him so he should probably be resigned...

When a player is injured a worse player is playing instead. If there's no benefit to having Myers play instead of Stuart then it doesn't really matter at all what players we have.

xBSGeorge

Jun 21, 2011
Injuries and goals scored in my opinion are connected.

a) Injuries lead to extra minutes on certain players.

b) Those certain players games for the most part went down hill as a result of extra minutes.

c) Downhill play results in miscues on the ice, which leads to turnovers or out of position.

d) Miscues on the ice result in tap in goals.

So in conclusion: If the team is healthy and players play within their limits then less mistakes are made and less goals go in.

I am not saying the Goalies didn't suck, because they clearly did. However not every goal is on the goaltender and in a few cases our goalies were not helped very much. My opinion is that if the team was healthier there would have been a few less pucks in the net and those low save percentages and goals against improve slightly.

I can easily see picking up 4 other wins or holding onto a tie into OT if guys like Buff are not playing over the top minutes, Little is centering a top line or Laine doesn't miss 8 games.

Side Note: If Trouba doesn't miss the first month and we get 1 or 2 more wins as a result that number of points drops as well. That's on management and Trouba though. Even though I supported Chevy in taking a hard stance against Trouba.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

That's a simplistic view of how injuries affect performance. For one, injured players are often not in shape or not fully up to speed until some time after they return from injury. Also, some players are playing sub-par with injuries before they decide to go on the injury list to get things sorted out (like Enstrom before the end of the season when he finally sat out to get injuries dealt with). Moreover, during a very hectic schedule, injuries put more wear and tear on the remaining top players, reducing their effectiveness for prolonged periods of time. Beyond that, there is the natural lack of rhythm and consistency that a team has with players going in and out of the line-up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad