TV: The Expanse Season 4

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
One of the best shows on TV, yet one that doesn't get nearly the recognition it deserves, starts back up tonight.

I think the last thread got lost in the migration.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Best show on TV as far as I'm concerned. I love just about everything about this series. After watching season 1 I read all 6 books that were out at the time in less than a month. Such a great setting and story.

Reactions: Blender

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
When I started watching it, I thought it was pretty good. And then with each episode it just got progressively better. Quickly became one of my favourites.

But there's hockey to be watched tonight, so I'll have to wait until the weekend.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Really enjoying this show.

A few months ago I decided to start reading books again, caught up on the whole series. Definitely the most enjoyable sci-fi universe for me since Battlestar Galactica.

Really love Shohreh Aghdashloo as Chrisjen Avarasala. Though I'm not really good at pronouncing her name. :help:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Pretty good season premier. Lots of typical season premier world building of course.

Really love Shohreh Aghdashloo as Chrisjen Avarasala. Though I'm not really good at pronouncing her name. :help:
I have an easier time pronouncing the character's name than the actress' name. :laugh:

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
I'm guessing the original thread got eaten in the migration? Anyway, great kick off to the season. My big complaint isn't with the show, but with SyFy. Don't get me wrong, I like that the channel has upped its game in original series these last couple of years, they're putting out some great content. But can they promote this stuff way better? Why not an Expanse marathon leading up to the new season so we can refresh ourselves with what was going on? Say what you want about AMC, but they at least promote the crap out of their shows and always run marathons right before season premieres. I know we'll be getting an Into the Badlands marathon here soon so I can refresh my memory prior to the new season. Disappointing I couldn't do the same for this show.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Am pumped as well, it's a great show and I enjoyed the novels. In the big picture I feel like it's a believable vision of humanity in an early expansion period.

Also, I love Chrisjen's voice. It's like she's on a strict diet of bourbon and cigars.

Reactions: NyQuil

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Episode 2 was really good. Looks like season 3 is leaving off right where season 2 ended as far as quality goes. Excellent start to the season and still one of the best shows on TV.

Last edited:

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
First couple episodes of the new season have been pretty good so far. I'm going to avoid speculation since my reading of the books will color my guesses, and I don't want to spoil for you guys.

One thing that has been disappointing that everyone brings up wherever I read stuff is that Syfy seems to do a poor job promoting hype for the show. That's too bad, I hope the Expanse can have a good run.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I've read all the books, but since I read so much I do have trouble following where exactly the series is versus the books. But from what I remember they are in late book 2, early book 3. To any other book reader does it seem like they are dragging it out?

From what I remember books 1-3 constitute basically part 1 of the series. Then books 4-6 constitute basically part 2. And book 7 definitely opens a new chapter that appears to be final one since they've announced the series will end after 9 (albeit knowing authors that final chapter might stretch to 10 or 11).

My whole point with dragging it out and the talk of the how the books are sorted is that does it seem like they are worried about getting cancelled so they are just trying to drag it out to complete part 1. You can read part one and have pretty much a whole story (with for sure some unopened questions, but still a full story). Drag out part 1 so if they get cancelled so that they still have a complete story of sorts, despite a few unanswered questions (like what's on Venus).

I hope that I am completely off base on this. I want the Expanse to have 10+ seasons to completely adapt the books. This universe deserves that.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
I've read all the books, but since I read so much I do have trouble following where exactly the series is versus the books. But from what I remember they are in late book 2, early book 3. To any other book reader does it seem like they are dragging it out?

From what I remember books 1-3 constitute basically part 1 of the series. Then books 4-6 constitute basically part 2. And book 7 definitely opens a new chapter that appears to be final one since they've announced the series will end after 9 (albeit knowing authors that final chapter might stretch to 10 or 11).

My whole point with dragging it out and the talk of the how the books are sorted is that does it seem like they are worried about getting cancelled so they are just trying to drag it out to complete part 1. You can read part one and have pretty much a whole story (with for sure some unopened questions, but still a full story). Drag out part 1 so if they get cancelled so that they still have a complete story of sorts, despite a few unanswered questions (like what's on Venus).

I hope that I am completely off base on this. I want the Expanse to have 10+ seasons to completely adapt the books. This universe deserves that.
They are still firmly in Book 2, although they have re-arranged somethings and have introduced small elements of Book 3 so far. I don't think they're dragging out much, they expand on some things, shrink other plot points, but it seems like they're moving the story along pretty good. It would have been cool to do 1 book = 1 season, but with only 10 episodes I'm glad they're doing it like they are. Hope they can tell the Abbadon's Gate storyline, that's the best book IMO.

Powerslave

Oct 19, 2017
Upstate NY
I finally decided to give this show a shot after listening how good it was for like a couple of years now. The reason I waited for so long is because I'm really hard to please when it comes to Sci-fi... another reason is the show wasn't properly promoted and being a SyFy show I was sceptic.

So... yesterday I put on the pilot episode... binge watched the whole first season :D I got so interested in it that I went to Barnes & Noble and bought the books 1-3. I've decided to postpone watching second and third season till I read the books which I will be done with by the time third season is over :)

I'm so glad I finally gave it a chance. Hope SyFy will keep it high!

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
*drops a dead guy on the ground*

"****, did I miss it? *

Amos is ****ing awesome.
I loved that scene. He wasn't dead though, Holden just choked him unconscious.

Every episode of this show is pretty damn good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->