The End of "Hockey Night in Canada"?

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I don't think it's a matter of something being a priority, but rather a simple issue of economics. CBC probably can't even come close to the money Bell Globe Media can fork over for the broadcast rights.

I think the fact that the head of their sports division is stepping down, is a sign that she doesn't seem confident in CBC's ability to match CTV's bid.

With the amount that CBC needs to up the ante, the decision goes well beyond CBC management. For CBC to afford this, they'll either need to get more revenue (doubtful, as, if they could squeeze more money out of HNIC, they would have done so by now) or to get more tax payer funds, which is now a government budget decision.

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
It has nothing to do with Nancy Lee, and everything to do with the fact that the Harper government wants to put as little cash as possible into CBC.

No the shambles that CBC sports is in now has everything to do with Nancy Lee Cuthbert and Williams were gone while before Harper got in

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
No the shambles that CBC sports is in now has everything to do with Nancy Lee Cuthbert and Williams were gone while before Harper got in

Cuthbert and Williams left because they didn't participate in Nancy Lee's idiot political games, not because Nancy Lee is cheap. She'd have definitely pony'd up as much cash as she could to keep HNiC (and then run it poorly).

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Judging from the article, the tragedy isn’t that the NHL is leaving CBC, its that the CBC is loosing a cash cow that paid for all its documentaries that only a certain niche group of Canadians watch.

You mean intelligent, inquisitive Canadians? I wouldn't call that a niche group.

From an American that enjoys the heck out of those CBC documentaries, I hope something gets worked out.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Do you have anything to support that statement? Do you honestly believe that many Canadians won't watch the NHL if it isn't on CBC?

Yes. It is a guarantee that fewer will watch because fewer people can get TSN or even CTV than can get CBC. You definitely decrease the size of the market with that change. You can argue how much and how meaningful that difference is, but it is there nonetheless.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Yes. It is a guarantee that fewer will watch because fewer people can get TSN or even CTV than can get CBC. You definitely decrease the size of the market with that change. You can argue how much and how meaningful that difference is, but it is there nonetheless.

Well, CTV's audience is extremely sizable, and, has virtually the same reach as CBC. You're the one claiming that this is going to be doing signficant damage to the NHL that the extra $75M per season won't fix, so, perhaps you can elaborate on why.

EDIT: Your use of guarantee is also interesting. Despite being in more households, CTV has higher ratings for its news, which is the lead in into HNIC, which should lead to a bigger audience. Plus, as I said earlier, Bell's upping the ante here, which implies they are pretty confident that they will get better ratings.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
You mean intelligent, inquisitive Canadians? I wouldn't call that a niche group.

From an American that enjoys the heck out of those CBC documentaries, I hope something gets worked out.

I enjoy many of their documentaries as well, but, as an American, you get the luxury of not seeing any of your tax dollars go to creating it.

It's one thing to be supportive of the programming they offer, it's another if you're willing to foot the bill.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
I enjoy many of their documentaries as well, but, as an American, you get the luxury of not seeing any of your tax dollars go to creating it.

It's one thing to be supportive of the programming they offer, it's another if you're willing to foot the bill.

CBC is part of many of our cable packages and i doubt CBC lets them air their channel for free.

Hoss

Feb 21, 2005
But it has already been pointed out that CTVs contracts with the american stations stipulate that they must show all the shows for said show in sync with the american station. While they could show them early, it would upset there entire schedule, its crapshot as to whether or not they will.
This not correct. CTV like most other Canadian broadcasters chooses to air American progams in sync with the American originator because the CRTC allows them to use simulcasting.
Simulcasting works like this if for example, a CTV station is airing ER the same time ER is airing on NBC in the same market the local Cable company must air the signal that originates from that CTV station. More specificly if CTV is on channel 8, NBC on 12, if you turned to 12 you'd see channel 8's signal during ER.
The reason for simulcasting quite simply is a financial one, the ads you see will be the local CTV and not the NBC originator.
FYI programming generally is prefed to CTV and other markets via satelite hours (and sometimes days) before it airs.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
CBC is part of many of our cable packages and i doubt CBC lets them air their channel for free.

Fair enough, but, that's a conscience choice by the consumer to purchase that service. What many people object to is when it is tax payer dollars, where, I have no choice but to pay for the programming.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
I wouldn't care if the CBC went away they have no business sense and spend most their time with programming people don't care about.

The only programming that ever seems to make them money is sports. Yet they don't clue in and think if we make all this money from sports we could carry more and have higher ratings. Rather they give sports profits to make a garbage show.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
As an American, it would be a travestry to watch hockey on Saturday nights and not see the CBC logo and Ron MacLean and Don Cherry and everything else that comes with it. It wouldn't feel the same.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
This not correct. CTV like most other Canadian broadcasters chooses to air American progams in sync with the American originator because the CRTC allows them to use simulcasting.
Simulcasting works like this if for example, a CTV station is airing ER the same time ER is airing on NBC in the same market the local Cable company must air the signal that originates from that CTV station. More specificly if CTV is on channel 8, NBC on 12, if you turned to 12 you'd see channel 8's signal during ER.
The reason for simulcasting quite simply is a financial one, the ads you see will be the local CTV and not the NBC originator.
FYI programming generally is prefed to CTV and other markets via satelite hours (and sometimes days) before it airs.

Some (maybe quite a few) shows from the US have in the contract that they must air in Canada at the same time as they do in the USA. For example last year Global was airing 24 and The apprentice on Monday Nights. The contract for the apprentice stipulated the show must be on at 9:00 PM so when Fox started showing double episodes of 24 (2 hours) Global had to show episode 1 at 8 PM then the apprentice at 9:00 the the second 24 episode at 10 PM. Of course many shows do not have that stipulation but it is always in the best interest to simulcast with the USA for Canadian Networks becuse then..... They get the Canadian ADs aired on the US stations as well.

CBC is so horrendously run that it is almost beyond belief. CBC just made an acclaimed mini-series documentary about the 1970 FLQ October Crisis. When are they airing it? At 9:00 PM on THURSDAYS! The most watched time period on Televison. It was up against (in Ottawa) Deal or No Deal (which drew 1 million plus viewers in Canada) CSI (something like a godly 4 million viewers in Canada) SuperNatural on City TV which is popular with younger viewers, Grey's Anatomy which drew over 2 million Canadian Viewers, Sens Hockey on A-Channel that probably drew very well but no stats.

October 1970 - which is likely a qulaity production and is getting critical acclaim drew 110 thousand viewers across Canada 2 weeks ago and 105 thousand this week. Why would a network decide to air a mini series like this - One that is advertised on TV and on Radio and on Billboards - In the toughest time slot of the entire broadcast week. By far the toughest timeslot! It is beyond belief that anyone would be stupid enough to do that but CBC Did it. I would venture a guess that A-Channel's Sens broadcast drew nearly as many viewers in the local Ottawa market as did the CBC Mini Series did in the entire country.

This week the CBC announced they would not be making anymore News Satire shows. I am assuming they mean not creating anymore and not cancelling the 3 they have but with CBC who knows. Air Farce, 22 Minutes and Rick Mercer are BY FAR the most successful shows on CBC's prime time schedule aside from HNIC. They draw 500-600 000 viewers to every broadcast - even repeat broadcasts. Compared to say about 330 000 for the extensively advertised Intelligence - a Drama show.

I think the CBC has great quality shows. They certainly have the best website of any TV network in North America (I know I worked in Media Monitoring) but they are terrible at the TV business. they have no intelligence in marketing their shows, in schedualing their shows. They have run HNIC in a stupid way and get far less ratings from it then if they did it properly without octogenarian on air talent and without many more split broadcasts in local Canadian Markets. If Ottawa is playing on Saturday night I should be able to see the game on HNIC in the Ottawa Market. Same as if all of Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver are playing on Saturday night. All games need to be broadcast in their local market. The production cost of airing more games is easily offset by the increased viewership in each market when the cities team is on TV. And the CBC has a second National Network in CBC Newsworld. On Saturday from 7-midnight they should air an alternate game in each market on the News Channel. That would make more money and make more sense but CBc would never think of it.

The CBC makes excellent shows and no one watches them for the sheer and utter incompetance of the network. They will lose HNIC and they deserve to as they have been broadcasting 1980's quality broadcasts when what is demanded is 2006 quality broadcasts.

Hoss

Feb 21, 2005
You have a point that CBC has made alot of blunders when it comes to stategically placing their programming, on the other hand CBC only rarely runs programming that appeals to the lowest common denominator. My point being the mouth breathers who regularly tune in for brilliant programming like Deal or No Deal, simply would not consider watching a documentary, unless it was about boobies.
In the new reality of 100+channels to tune from, it's ridiculous for the CBC (with its limited income) to try and compete. Instead the CBC is wise to continue providing programing that "people don't care about."

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Ah, so you look forward to no more playoff games on non-cable television except for maybe the Stanley Cup final, and thats if we're lucky. And even if they do decide to go ahead with Saturday night broadcasts on CTV, we'll get force-fed even more leafs telecasts. Not to mention the says ripple effect, losing out on a key news agency, which will allow CTV Newsworld or whatever its called to dwindle even less of its newscast towards provincial and national issues. I bet when Quebec seperates next decade, it will get outrun by some rerun of a popular TV show...

btw, I'm only 21...

Well, it seems Canada will see all it citizens has equal individuals. Quebec citizens lost saturday night in canada in french a few years ago already. I wish we all could see the games we want on saturday night, but I will be happy to stop paying for Leafs games on TV.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
He's referring to the States. In the U.S., CBC is a specialty station, much like BBC News is a specialty station over here.

CBC is a free station just like NBC, ABC, CBC in Detroit at least. You dont have to have cable to get CBC, you can pick it up over the airwaves.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
You have a point that CBC has made alot of blunders when it comes to stategically placing their programming, on the other hand CBC only rarely runs programming that appeals to the lowest common denominator. My point being the mouth breathers who regularly tune in for brilliant programming like Deal or No Deal, simply would not consider watching a documentary, unless it was about boobies.
In the new reality of 100+channels to tune from, it's ridiculous for the CBC (with its limited income) to try and compete. Instead the CBC is wise to continue providing programing that "people don't care about."

That's a terrible way of thinking. CBC has a mandate to provide programming. That programming may have other cultural objectives, but, it can also be popular, and well-liked. It's elitist to think that if it is popular, then it must be appealling at the lowest common denominator. They've had commercial successes before in the past, and they should be striving to provide them in the future.

They face competition in Canada isn't much better funded, but, right now, there are successful. Corner Gas, and Trailer Park Boys are two current examples. Neither are expensive shows, but generate decent viewership. Corner Gas in particular would greatly fit into the CBC's mandate. It showcases a particular part of Canada, and incorporates various Canadian icons.

17*

Wow, if this article is true, then HNIC is the very foundation of the CBC.

I guess Dave Hodge had every right to toss that pencil.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
That's a terrible way of thinking. CBC has a mandate to provide programming. That programming may have other cultural objectives, but, it can also be popular, and well-liked. It's elitist to think that if it is popular, then it must be appealling at the lowest common denominator. They've had commercial successes before in the past, and they should be striving to provide them in the future.

They face competition in Canada isn't much better funded, but, right now, there are successful. Corner Gas, and Trailer Park Boys are two current examples. Neither are expensive shows, but generate decent viewership. Corner Gas in particular would greatly fit into the CBC's mandate. It showcases a particular part of Canada, and incorporates various Canadian icons.

Many CBC shows were HUGE hits. It was awhile ago but the Anne of Green Gables movies drew Massive audiences. These past few weeks a new production with Megan Follows in it that was focused on the same time period as Anne of Green Gables aired. It was not a hit, no one watched it.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's Degrassi was a huge show. It was a water cooler type show for my geberation at school. But when Degrassi came back they went to CBC first who refused them and now it is on CTV. Another huge failure by CBC.

I like CBc Newsworld. I l;ike many CBc programs. I watched This is Wonderland and Da Vinci's inquest. I used to watch Danger Bay when I was a kid. I watch many of the CBc News shows. I even watch The Hour on occassion. But CBC has no idea how to run a TV network. And I would venture to say their production costs are far more than other networks because of their unions.

I think CBC needs to completely change it's model. Go no commercials on say half the budget. Focus on News far more and stop making dramas and comedies except for rare exceptions. Stop the massive advertising campaign on billboards and in buses and such. Stop bidding on HNIC and the Olympics. Realize you aren't going to get huge ratings and stop pretending that you can.

17*

BTW, did anyone catch this tidbit in the article:

Quote:
Here’s how: The CBC currently pays some $65-million annually to air NHL games on its stations, and doesn’t charge Canadians a penny more than they pay in taxes to watch those games. In return, the network generates more than $30 million each year in advertising revenue, which helps cover the costs related to its world-renowned news services.

Unless the author isn't familiar at all with basic accounting terms, and is confusing profit and revenue, this article is saying that HNIC is a money loser for the crown corp, with a loss of $35M.

I assumed it to mean that the $35M is profit, with $100M being the total.

Does this mean Bell Globemedia is overbidding by $40M?

Or, will the private broadcaster do a better job of selling commercial time?

Hopefully this doesn't mean an increase in commercials.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad