The End of "Hockey Night in Canada"?

Kitsune

Feb 20, 2003
Toronto ON CA
www.glidingeagle.com
I still look forward to the day when it becomes reality, however. :handclap:

Ah, so you look forward to no more playoff games on non-cable television except for maybe the Stanley Cup final, and thats if we're lucky. And even if they do decide to go ahead with Saturday night broadcasts on CTV, we'll get force-fed even more leafs telecasts. Not to mention the says ripple effect, losing out on a key news agency, which will allow CTV Newsworld or whatever its called to dwindle even less of its newscast towards provincial and national issues. I bet when Quebec seperates next decade, it will get outrun by some rerun of a popular TV show...

btw, I'm only 21...

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Ah, so you look forward to no more playoff games on non-cable television except for maybe the Stanley Cup final, and thats if we're lucky. And even if they do decide to go ahead with Saturday night broadcasts on CTV, we'll get force-fed even more leafs telecasts. Not to mention the says ripple effect, losing out on a key news agency, which will allow CTV Newsworld or whatever its called to dwindle even less of its newscast towards provincial and national issues. I bet when Quebec seperates next decade, it will get outrun by some rerun of a popular TV show...

btw, I'm only 21...

HNIC is one of the top TV programs in Canada, and it will NOT be relegated to Cable (TSN), but would be shown on CTV for sure. The NHL playoffs (which is the true weekday crunch) get about double the ratings of a top US show, so I would still expect to see them on CTV. I would expect that TSN would also get some Canadian team playoff games when their are multiple games at the same time, which would be tremendous.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com

btw, I'm only 21...

Oh god, what a drama queen.

Not only do I hope CTV gets the deal I hope it'll be end of the CBC, we don't need it and will be better of not paying taxes to support that useless network.

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
Judging from the article, the tragedy isn’t that the NHL is leaving CBC, its that the CBC is loosing a cash cow that paid for all its documentaries that only a certain niche group of Canadians watch.

I’m still failing to see how this is some sort of tragedy as this article implies – as long as the CTV network still plays a major role in broadcasting and games aren’t relegated exclusively to TSN.

In this instance, Bettman and the owners can’t be faulted for pursuing the best deal for their product (although some might argue moving games from “free†TV to cable will result in a viewer drain similar to the one that took place when the league left ESPN last year for a broadcasting deal with OLN). Bell Globemedia’s offer is simply too rich for any sane business executive to reject.

While I’m not familiar with the rest of the country, CTV services Alberta very well, if not better than CBC. Growing up in rural Alberta, CTV Edmonton is available throughout northern and central Alberta on the airwaves, so someone could still watch their hockey with the old rabbit ears. Looking at CTV’s broadcast network, they seem to have the county well covered, see http://www.ctv.ca/local. I would be willing wager that some of the major northern communities (i.e. Yellowknife, Whitehorse, etc.) would have CTV rebroadcast towers.

All you need to do is look at some of Canada’s other private broadcasters – such as the one that decided against airing live coverage of two separate provincial elections in favor of Friends and Survivor episodes – to see what bottom-line economics and ratings fixations can do to a newsroom.

These shows are shown on Global, not CTV. CTV news has always ranked favorably in local 6:00 ratings and CTV (National) News advertises itself as being "Canada’s most watched newscast".

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
It would be interesting too see how Bell GlobeMedia would approach broadcasting. Given the amount of money they would be willing to put in, could we expect a slew of regional broadcasts, or like is occuring now with the CBC, a national broadcast on Saturday nights.

Kitsune

Feb 20, 2003
Toronto ON CA
www.glidingeagle.com
HNIC is one of the top TV programs in Canada, and it will NOT be relegated to Cable (TSN), but would be shown on CTV for sure. The NHL playoffs (which is the true weekday crunch) get about double the ratings of a top US show, so I would still expect to see them on CTV. I would expect that TSN would also get some Canadian team playoff games when their are multiple games at the same time, which would be tremendous.

But it has already been pointed out that CTVs contracts with the american stations stipulate that they must show all the shows for said show in sync with the american station. While they could show them early, it would upset there entire schedule, its crapshot as to whether or not they will.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
But it has already been pointed out that CTVs contracts with the american stations stipulate that they must show all the shows for said show in sync with the american station. While they could show them early, it would upset there entire schedule, its crapshot as to whether or not they will.

This is what has caused them to not seriously bid in the past. The Playoffs occur during May Sweeps, so all their simulcast shows are in full swing.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

Link?

CTV currently airs a number of their shows at different times that the American networks. I know I currently watch Studio 60 on Sunday nights, when NBC shows it on its affiliates on Monday nights.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

This is completely wrong, much like everything else you've posted. Good work!

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Not that TSN is that bad, since it is still way ahead of anything being done south of the border, but I would hate for them to get the entire package. HNIC is an institution and taking that off of CBC will likely do more harm to the NHL than the extra money will help.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Ah, so you look forward to no more playoff games on non-cable television except for maybe the Stanley Cup final, and thats if we're lucky.
Not precisely. I look forward to CBC losing HNIC. If it had the dramatic ramifications that you're suggesting - which most people disagree would happen - I'd still look forward to it, however. I don't watch CBC. I don't watch HNIC. (At least, not enough that I'd miss it relative to the increased number of games that TSN/CTV would be showing). I don't mind if CBC loses its golden cash cow and either has to fold some of its operations or conversely has to go begging for even more public cash. Whichever. CBC w/HNIC has become like the Liberal Party of Canada... too bloated, too much sense of entitlement, too out of touch with the majority of its constituents. Time for change, time for a lesson learned. Time to put hockey broadcasting in Canada where it properly belongs... in the hands of purely business interests. If that means fewer playoff games and more American reality TV shows, if that means more Leafs games (if that was even possible), fine, that's a business decision, and hockey broadcasting is a business. I trust BellGlobeMedia to figure out how to make those business decisions more than I trust CBC.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
BTW, did anyone catch this tidbit in the article:

Here’s how: The CBC currently pays some $65-million annually to air NHL games on its stations, and doesn’t charge Canadians a penny more than they pay in taxes to watch those games. In return, the network generates more than $30 million each year in advertising revenue, which helps cover the costs related to its world-renowned news services.

Unless the author isn't familiar at all with basic accounting terms, and is confusing profit and revenue, this article is saying that HNIC is a money loser for the crown corp, with a loss of $35M.

I have doubts if that is true, which indicates a poorly researched article, and a reason why hockey writers shouldn't venture into the realm of others news, like this guy has. If it is true, then it's further evidence that the NHL should be off CBC. Canadians shouldn't be subsidizing a broadcast of the NHL, when there are plenty of private broadcasters who are willing to do it, and make money on it.

As for the future of the CBC, the fact that their future is in jeopardy over the loss of the NHL is an indication that they haven't done a good job with their objectives. I do like their news programming myself, but, to survive as a broadcaster, they need other programming.

I always compare the CBC with the BBC. The BBC is able to produce a large number of successful shows with its budget. The CBC has virtually no success rate. In fact, the private broadcasters have a better success rates. Right now, the two most successful scripted Canadian shows are Trailer Park Boys (Showcase) and Corner Gas (CTV). I can't think of one successful scripted show the CBC has on the air right now.

They've done okay in the past (SCTV, Kids in the Hall, Red Green) but have never more than one or two successful shows on the air at a given time. With other private networks producing Canadian content, CBC is quickly becoming a dinosaur. If they can't make a case to stay on the air without NHL hockey, then, they simply don't deserve to be on the air.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003

Wrong. Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is shown on Sunday in Canada and Monday in the U.S., Lost is shown an hour early and ER is shown early aswell.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Not that TSN is that bad, since it is still way ahead of anything being done south of the border, but I would hate for them to get the entire package. HNIC is an institution and taking that off of CBC will likely do more harm to the NHL than the extra money will help.

Do you have anything to support that statement? Do you honestly believe that many Canadians won't watch the NHL if it isn't on CBC?

The rumoured Bell bid is apparently in the range of $140M per year, well above the $65 that CBC is paying now. That tells me that Bell is pretty confident that it can pull in more viewers than the CBC is. Bell is a private company, and they're in this to make money. If they think they can afford to spend $140M on hockey rights, they're expecting to get increased viewership. I find that the most interesting thing about this story.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Stu, I don't think the CBC makes money. Isn't in the charter of crown corporations that they have to loose money? :sarcasm: Even with something like HNIC, I'm sure a crown would find a way to loose money.

Anyway, I don't understand some of the venom. I think it would be a shame. I like CBC coverage, even if they make me watch the Leafs v Sens/Habs every weekend, 3 of my least fav teams.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Do you have anything to support that statement? Do you honestly believe that many Canadians won't watch the NHL if it isn't on CBC?

The rumoured Bell bid is apparently in the range of $140M per year, well above the $65 that CBC is paying now. That tells me that Bell is pretty confident that it can pull in more viewers than the CBC is. Bell is a private company, and they're in this to make money. If they think they can afford to spend $140M on hockey rights, they're expecting to get increased viewership. I find that the most interesting thing about this story.

That's what I find interesting as well, particularly people who are salivating at the mouth of CBC losing the rights because they're sick of the Leafs. Are we to expect Leafs coverage to go down if the network is in it for the money? Particularly since this package applies to Saturday night telecasts and the playoffs.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Worth noting that the article is a couple months old, well before Nancy Lee (head of CBC Sports) stepped down. I'm hopeful that with her out of the picture, retaining HNIC will be more of a priority, since I think it would be a shame to lose.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Worth noting that the article is a couple months old, well before Nancy Lee (head of CBC Sports) stepped down. I'm hopeful that with her out of the picture, retaining HNIC will be more of a priority, since I think it would be a shame to lose.

I don't think it's a matter of something being a priority, but rather a simple issue of economics. CBC probably can't even come close to the money Bell Globe Media can fork over for the broadcast rights.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
That's what I find interesting as well, particularly people who are salivating at the mouth of CBC losing the rights because they're sick of the Leafs. Are we to expect Leafs coverage to go down if the network is in it for the money? Particularly since this package applies to Saturday night telecasts and the playoffs.

I honestly have very little faith in the management of CBC, and think that Bell could do a better job of broadcasting the NHL. They're obviously going to go with the dollars, but, TSN has done a good job so far IMO, of selling interest in the NHL, rather than interest in one team. I would hope that continues. They're invested in the NHL for the long term with this deal.

HOwever, I could be wrong, and, they could push the Leafs down our throats worse than the CBC ever could. If they do, I'll be pissed of at them, but, as a privately owned corporation, I'll be more accepting of it. When a taxpayer funded organization does it, I'm much more upset.

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Well, as an American who lives in the CBC viewing area....I hope CBC somehow keeps Hockey Night in Canada. I have religuosly watched it now for over 25 years, and I would really, really miss it.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco

It has nothing to do with Nancy Lee, and everything to do with the fact that the Harper government wants to put as little cash as possible into CBC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad