Player Discussion: The Elvis Thread

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
True story: while my father and I were still at Nationwide Children's, one of our colleagues (who I believe was from Germany, although I'm not entirely sure) got in the habit of practicing broadening his English skills by going to my father to share and develop plays on words and puns. Apparently it was very effective.
Seriously off-topic and not even related to this story really, but one of the things I like to sometimes do for fun is to use Finnish idioms translated literally to English and see if the meaning gets across :D Of course I also sometimes do that by accident. Oh and one of the "signs" my written English was getting to a fluent level was when I started making stupid spelling mistakes like typing "you're" instead of "your" and stuff like that - I see native speakers make those typos all the time, but people who have to "think" about what they write really don't, you have to kind of "think in English" to confuse the two in writing.

Anyway, back to Elvis (sort of) - combining both language stuff and cultural differences, I have no trouble believing Elvis could've somehow really offended or pissed off Larsen by accident. I think the outward similarity between NA / European culture can sometimes be a bit misleading, or make people assume they're on the same page when they really are not. In a way understanding cultural differences is easier when the cultures are further apart, then the misunderstandings are usually such that you realize instantly that's what they are.

That's not to say Elvis is always a victim of being misunderstood, but at the same time I'm pretty sure sometimes he is, but can't tell exactly when since I'm not Latvian :D In any case the cumulative effect of a hockey player speaking his mind (seems to be universally rare) and THEN being misunderstood can reach ridiculous heights. If you think about it, Latvia is geographically small country with less than 2 million people, who are the only ones who speak their language and they were under Soviet rule against their will for about 50 years from WWII until the fall of USSR. Imagine just how different that is to the collective experience of US citizens.

In any culture there are tons and tons of little things that make up society and how people function with other people, understanding all that doesn't happen in a year or two, some of it could take decades and even then you might still occasionally run into some quirks.

I think it's fair to expect foreign people to do their best to adjust to the local culture, but at the same time it's realistic to assume they will always fail to do so completely. I think for an NHL coach or management this creates some interesting challenges since you're not only dealing with different personalities, you are dealing with people coming from backgrounds you might not understand all that well. How you manage to deal with some of these things I think could potentially be the difference between a good coach and great coach or good GM and great GM.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It occurs to me that we literally have a hilarious Finnish comedian who is dedicated to this topic:

Seriously off-topic and not even related to this story really, but one of the things I like to sometimes do for fun is to use Finnish idioms translated literally to English and see if the meaning gets across :D Of course I also sometimes do that by accident.

Idiom translation is one of the fun parts of having all these Finns here, as well as having @VT bring all the Slovak idioms and aphorisms.

Oh and one of the "signs" my written English was getting to a fluent level was when I started making stupid spelling mistakes like typing "you're" instead of "your" and stuff like that - I see native speakers make those typos all the time, but people who have to "think" about what they write really don't, you have to kind of "think in English" to confuse the two in writing.

That is fascinating. As a native English speaker I often mix up little near-homophones like "have" and "of" when I'm writing, it isn't until I make an editing pass that I catch them.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Rob McElhenney From It's Always Sunny and part owner of Wrexham just told a funny story this week on Jimmy Kimmel about how people in the UK and North Wales say the "c word" much more flippantly than we do in the USA.

I could see someone from there saying it and an American woman getting very upset about it.

Just Sayin'

Cujorulesdtown9

More Blue Pants
Sep 9, 2007
Michigan
Im ready for an actual goalie battle between greaves/tarasov.
Its been fun(?) with elvis but I think via trade or buyout(more likely) its time to move on.

I joked Elvis was steve mason, turns out that comparison was unfair to mason.

Jackets Bob

Sep 28, 2017
Lewis Center, OH
Im ready for an actual goalie battle between greaves/tarasov.
Its been fun(?) with elvis but I think via trade or buyout(more likely) its time to move on.

I joked Elvis was steve mason, turns out that comparison was unfair to mason.
I would take Elvis over Mason any day. Mason was awful after his rookie year. The problem with Elvis is his contract. We can't trade hime and the buyout is very expensive.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00