The effects of having Hughson call Leaf games (pay attention Rogers)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
In my opinion, the effect is the negative perception of the Rogers brand. When Rogers ****ed up HNIC with Strombo that looked bad on Rogers, so they switched it back to the way we liked it. Same thing here. Hughson hurts the Rogers brand in the eyes of a significant portion of the league's largest fanbase. A consumer with a negative perception of your brand is more likely to make a change away from your brand, as opposed to switching to your brand if their perception is generally positive.
Do we know the bolded to be true?
I would think the "significant portion" couldn't care less. I've never heard it mentioned anywhere but by a few here.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
In my opinion, the effect is the negative perception of the Rogers brand. When Rogers ****ed up HNIC with Strombo that looked bad on Rogers, so they switched it back to the way we liked it. Same thing here. Hughson hurts the Rogers brand in the eyes of a significant portion of the league's largest fanbase. A consumer with a negative perception of your brand is more likely to make a change away from your brand, as opposed to switching to your brand if their perception is generally positive.

The Strombo complaints were nationwide, and HNIC viewership was way down (a large part of that was because the Leafs weren't good).

But Hughson? It doesn't matter if a "significant portion" of Leafs fans have negative perceptions about Rogers because of him - where are you going to switch to? It's not like you can watch Leaf games on another network.

That's my point here - there's no effect.

Reactions: MapleLeafistan

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

it honestly just seems like you want people to hold your hand and tell you that you made a good decision by switching from rogers lol.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
The Strombo complaints were nationwide, and HNIC viewership was way down (a large part of that was because the Leafs weren't good).

But Hughson? It doesn't matter if a "significant portion" of Leafs fans have negative perceptions about Rogers because of him - where are you going to switch to? It's not like you can watch Leaf games on another network.

I agree there's no real impact. A lot of people used to complain about Bob Cole, and now that he's 3rd string, I hear more people talk like they wish he was still doing games.

For me it's just about preference. And it's like Jim is a stud announcer, he's a run of the mill play by play guy, who happens to hate the Leafs. I don't get why he isn't the designated West coast team announcer. Would seem to benefit all. Problem is because Rogers is so disliked by current play by play guys, we would be stuck with Romanuk, and I would much rather Hughson given those choices.

Strombo had no impact on ratings, he was a scapegoat for poor management.

Reactions: Tak7

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
So, even though Sunday and Wednesday games are usually national broadcasts too, they should be called by a Leafs homer?

That's only an issue for CDN team vs CDN team games. More often than not its a CDN team vs a US team. In that scenario, the National broadcaster should show bias towards the CDN team, because that's who you are broadcasting to. If they were simucasting on NBC as well, they should sound neutral.

And even if it is CDN vs CDN, the largest fanbase will be Leafs fans (assuming they are playing), so again, you should appeal to the masses.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Correct, no effect - have you seen veiwership numbers for the Leafs? They've only been going up.

I don't like Hughson. I don't find him very interesting or "epic" to listen to; when you've grown up on Bob Cole and Joe Bowen, there's no comparison.

But anti-Leaf? That's the single most hilarious thing I've ever heard this fanbase say (and that includes everything we said about Larry Murphy and Sundin).

Get a grip.

Have you ever asked him his opinion on the Leafs? Or are you just assuming doesn't dislike this franchise?

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc

You seem to be missing the point. I never said anyone wouldn’t watch the games.

RickyVaive

Jul 6, 2013
I find the Hughson-Simpson duo annoying and clearly more excited by all the teams the Leafs face then the Leafs. That is strange as they are the Leafs' announcers. I think it was the Penguins game my wife sat next to me while watching and I mentioned my dislike for them and after just 5-10 minutes of watching she was laughing and asking why they are calling the games when they are obviously rooting against the Leafs. My wife is not even a sports fan and she picked up on it right away.
Impartial is good, being more excited for the opposing team is a kick in the face to Leaf fans. That Kapanen OT winner is all the evidence anyone needs. A double overtime winner and, "the defenseman lost his stick" silence........ What a horrible call. I'm willing to bet if that was Ovie putting it in and Gardiner lost his stick the call would have been a lot different.

Optimist

Wendel and I
Feb 16, 2015
Ontario Canada

I honestly try as hard as I can to hear Hughson's anti Leafs comments, but I can't seem to pick them out. I really wish that I could because that would enhance the broadcast for me. I think that Hughson is a fantastic announcer.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
I don't mind Hughson his voice is solid, calls the play well for the most part. It is funny to hear him get a little sad when the leafs are winning and I do get the feeling he isn't big on TML. Doesn't bother me.

Rogers as a company sucks though. You did yourself a favor moving away from them. Nothing but issues with them personally.

TimPeel

Dec 10, 2017
Of course I'd love if Leaf fans were respected enough to get Bowen on the weekly broadcasts, but I would even prefer Romanuk, Millen, even Ferraro whom I loathe over Hughson and that smug Craig Simpson. Didn't Simpson expressly concern not to be drafted by the Leafs? We took Clark instead, who became a hero here.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
OT: Romanuk had hair??

J6rX1n7.png

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Hughsons good. Much better than Bob Cole nowadsys. Anyone clamoring for Bob Cole is looking at it through nostalgia and rose tinted glasses. The man hasn't been fit to call a hockey game in at least 5 years.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Hughson IS NOT impartial. If you can't see that, enjoy your blissfully ignorant existence.
I have watched several Leaf games where I am a fan of neither team and I always feel like he makes a fairly neutral call of the play by play. I keep hearing Leaf fans complain over and over and I just don't see it.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
This is byfar one of the most embarrassing threads I have ever come across on my short time at HF. Cringe wouldn't accurately describe what I've read in this thread. I was expecting some hardcore valid arguments...instead all I get is "are you kidding me" and "if you don't believe me you're an idiot". With arguments like this, who needs courts and lawyers?

In this entire 10 page debacle, there's is not a single piece of valid evidence proving the OP's original hypothesis of Jim Hughson "hating the Leafs". Infact, on the previous page somebody actually proved the OP wrong.

I think somebody said it best on page 3 or 4. The victim complex in some Leafs fans needs to stop.

Jim Hughson is a fine commentator. Don't like him? Put it on mute and listen to your "bless you boys" homer. Don't need that sort of nonsense on a national telecast.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
I have watched several Leaf games where I am a fan of neither team and I always feel like he makes a fairly neutral call of the play by play. I keep hearing Leaf fans complain over and over and I just don't see it.

The only place I have ever read this is on HF. Nowhere else and neither in conversations with other Leafs fans in my circle of acquaintances has this ever been brought up.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
Last saturday: "There's nothing quite like a win over the maple leafs on a saturday night"
and last night it sounded like he wanted to off himself when the leafs scored that 4th goal.

Clean your ears with Qtips. His actual quote was :

"Few things in Vancouver hockey are better than a Saturday night win over the Toronto Maple Leafs."

How disingenuous of you to purposely write a fake quote to make an argument. This is probably why in this entire 10 page of nonsense, I haven't seen a single piece of incriminating evidence from those who hate Jim Hughson. Seems like its all in your head.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
If you ever need proof, just listen to Vancouver radio when Jim Hughson is on. It's not just the Leafs, he spits poison about the City of Toronto.

But as a business man, I would never make a decision based on emotion concerning my favourite sport's team. That's just pathetic.

Tell me the date of that broadcast. Which radio station were you listening too, I'd love to find it in archives.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad