The Eastern Playoff race

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
With 6 games to go, there are 6 teams fighting for the last 5 playoff-spots. From Flyers who is 4th to Tampa Bay at 9th there's only a 3 point difference. Here's a look at what the teams have left on their schedules.

Boston (35-34-9-4) 78 games played 83 points - trend 1-6-3
Teams in the Playoffs: NJ, DAL
Teams outside the Playoffs:
Teams in the playoff race: OTT, CGY

Tampa Bay (36-33-7-1) 76 games played 80 points - trend 2-7-1
Teams in the Playoffs: CARx2
Teams outside the Playoffs: WSHx2, ATL
Teams in the playoff race: COL

Philadelphia (38-33-5-2) 76 games played 83 points - trend 5-5-0
Teams in the Playoffs: TOR, CAR
Teams outside the Playoffs: FLA, MTL, CHI, NYI
Teams in the playoff race:

Pittsburgh (36-35-5-3) 76 games played 80 points - trend 5-5-0
Teams in the Playoffs: SJ
Teams outside the Playoffs: NYRx2, NYI, NSH
Teams in the playoff race: COL

Ottawa (36-34-7-4) 77 games played 83 points - trend 4-5-1
Teams in the Playoffs: TOR,
Teams outside the Playoffs: LA
Teams in the playoff race: BOS, PHX, VAN

Buffalo (37-36-5-6) 78 games played 85 points - trend 6-3-1
Teams in the Playoffs: SJ, NJ
Teams outside the Playoffs: NYR
Teams in the playoff race: EDM

---------------------------
Final standings prediction: (The calculation on the final points are based on wins against teams outside the playoffs, losses against the playoff teams and ties against the teams in the playoff race.)

Team: Current points Final points
Philadelphia - 83 - 91
Pittsburgh - 80 - 89
Ottawa - 83 - 88
Buffalo - 85 - 88
Tampa Bay - 80 - 86
-----------------------------
Boston - 83 - 85

Last edited:

HFNHL Red Wings

Good read Ville.

Are you going to do the same for the West?

Also what does your crystal ball forsee in terms of the Wings ability to pass the Blues ;)

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
West has also been posted now. As for the races for the Presidents Trophy and for who has to be the first to make a selection in this years crop of average talents, you will have to wait until tomorrow. ;)

Toronto_AGM_Adil

Apr 9, 2006
Team: Current points Final points
Philadelphia - 77 - 94
Tampa Bay - 75 - 93
Boston - 76 - 92
Pittsburgh - 74 - 88
Ottawa - 75 - 88
-----------------------------
Buffalo - 72 - 87

Nice work with the stats Ville, very good piece of analysis. It's nice that the Leafs are considered a "play-off" team... still sounds kinda funny to the ears.

A bold prediction pegging Buffalo as the loser of this play-off race... I have a feeling that Josh will eventually turn his guys around.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Nice work with the stats Ville, very good piece of analysis. It's nice that the Leafs are considered a "play-off" team... still sounds kinda funny to the ears.

It's especially odd considering, at the start of the season, I would have said that the NHL Leafs had a better chance of making it than your squad, Adil. Goes to show you just can't predict hockey - in the NHL or HFNHL! (I defy anyone to say they called the Rangers in a 4-game sweep over Atlanta, for example...).

HFNHL Red Wings

A bold prediction pegging Buffalo as the loser of this play-off race... I have a feeling that Josh will eventually turn his guys around.

Yeah there's been a lot of teams that have been on roller coaster rides this season as the Sim is streaky but the Sabres have been by far the most dramatic. I confess I havn't paid that much attention to the Eastern standings but I seem to recall the Sabres went from being out of the playoffs for most of the early season, rocketed to the top of the conference and now have fallen back again.
At one point it looked like the Blues might be immune from the streak effect as their last 10 almost always seemed to be 7-3 or 8-2 but now they're making up for it with a long bad streak.

Just hope you're coming out of a bad streak entering the playoffs instead of coming off a hot streak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->