TSN: The Drouin Saga Part III "Don't Tell Me What the Poets are Drouin"

Status
Not open for further replies.

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
Oh not doubt the coaches didn't want him. He played more as the tournament went on.
Canada was so deep that the 13 forward could have been 12 different guys. But since your the GM of TB he could have fought for him imho.

He if you can't get angry at your boss and want to move on that would be crazy. We do live in a democracy.
Your going to tell my you don't flip out at times?....or other poster don't flip out on here?

of course I do but I don't have a guaranteed contract. People who are employees at will can't act like petulant children or their boss will fire them. There are pros and cons to having a NHL contract. You get your money as long as you show up but you can't just leave. Being a professional in any job means just that being professional. Acting all hurt and insulted is not professional.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Nothing the union can do. Just because a player is unhappy and makes a trade request does not mean squat. The team can say no. Or the team can say yes. Or the team can say maybe later. Players have contracts and the their options are play for the team or not play for that team. Now, often teams will grant requests because they don't want an unhappy player dragging down the team - but they don't have to. Here, not only is it Tampa's right to say no, they can and did send him down. The union has no legal leg and cannot force the team to do anything.

As an aside, it has always bothered me when players demand a trade, especially publicly. It clearly lowers their value and puts the team in a bad position. The player doesn't care - he just wants out, but I almost believe that included in contracts should be a covenant that prohibits public trade demands. It bothers me even more when a player with a NTC/NMC makes the demand but then picks 2 or 3 teams that he wants to be traded to. No way to maximize value. If I am a GM and such a player wants out, I say only if you fully waive the clause and keep the demand private.

As of now, I concur that the union cannot do much.

This said, if Drouin says something like "I'm back" (whether he really wants to is another thing, but let's just say he's doing that for the sake of doing it), and that StevieY keeps him suspended, THEN the union might have something to say about it.

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
As of now, I concur that the union cannot do much.

This said, if Drouin says something like "I'm back" (whether he really wants to is another thing, but let's just say he's doing that for the sake of doing it), and that StevieY keeps him suspended, THEN the union might have something to say about it.

Absolutely, as long as he is willing to play and show up, Stevie Y cannot keep him suspended without a union fight. They might be able to keep him suspended if they were paying him (and they would probably be able to reinstate him and just not play him - see Terrell Owens case with the Philadelphia Eagles), but in either of these scenarios, it would still likely be a fight. It is why even if a team really felt that a player was dogging it, they would still pay him. So difficult to prove and would likely lose that

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Nothing the union can do. Just because a player is unhappy and makes a trade request does not mean squat. The team can say no. Or the team can say yes. Or the team can say maybe later. Players have contracts and the their options are play for the team or not play for that team. Now, often teams will grant requests because they don't want an unhappy player dragging down the team - but they don't have to. Here, not only is it Tampa's right to say no, they can and did send him down. The union has no legal leg and cannot force the team to do anything.

As an aside, it has always bothered me when players demand a trade, especially publicly. It clearly lowers their value and puts the team in a bad position. The player doesn't care - he just wants out, but I almost believe that included in contracts should be a covenant that prohibits public trade demands. It bothers me even more when a player with a NTC/NMC makes the demand but then picks 2 or 3 teams that he wants to be traded to. No way to maximize value. If I am a GM and such a player wants out, I say only if you fully waive the clause and keep the demand private.

To a certain extend, you are right. However, rest assured that the players union will apply a lot of pressure. Yzerman can elect to do whatever he wants. In the long run, this will create a bigger mess and unnecessary distraction to the team.

For the record, I do not agree with Walsh going public and Drouin walking away from the team. Walsh may rub people the wrong way with how he conducts his business, but he is no stupid man. This will be resolved sooner than later.

Last edited:

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
of course I do but I don't have a guaranteed contract. People who are employees at will can't act like petulant children or their boss will fire them. There are pros and cons to having a NHL contract. You get your money as long as you show up but you can't just leave. Being a professional in any job means just that being professional. Acting all hurt and insulted is not professional.

I agree in most part but there are always exceptions to this rule and I believe Martin St. Louis was correct in his feelings at the time.

Again my english is letting me down. I am not trying to say Martin St. Louis and Drouin situation are the same. My main point was to say I don't think Yzerman is as respected as most people think he is in the TB locker room....which could be the cause of Stamkos wanting out. As for Drouin I don't really understand but it could be some what related to my point that Yzerman is not respected in the TB locker room. :dunno:

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
To a certain extend, you are right. However, rest assured that the players union will apply a lot of pressure. Yzerman can elect to do whatever he wants. In the long run, this will create a bigger mess and unnecessary distraction to the team.

For the record, I do not agree with Walsh going public and Drouin walking away from the team. Walsh may rub people the wrong way with how he conducts his business, but he is no stupid man. This will be resolved sooner than later.

My understanding and correct me if I am wrong but they asked for a trade in November and nothing was done for 2 months before Walsh went public to put pressure on nothing happening.
I think they gave Yzerman enough time to make a deal.

Drouin sitting out doesn't look good in the public eye but we don't really know the whole story either.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
My understanding and correct me if I am wrong but they asked for a trade in November and nothing was done for 2 months before Walsh went public to put pressure on nothing happening.

Drouin sitting out doesn't look good in the public eye but we don't really know the whole story either.

I honestly believe the best offers are in the Eastern Conference and Yzerman fearing losing his job if Drouin comes back to bite them, instead of trying to make his team better; is the reason he hasn't been moved.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If MB is interested in Drouin, he could work it out with a middle man.
Good connection with Anaheim.. and our man in Arizona owes us one :)

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal

Correct. But go for a minute into Yzerman's shoes and try trading your 20 year old, 3rd overall pick with high upside that has not proven anything yet at the NHL level.

Not an easy task.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Correct. But go for a minute into Yzerman's shoes and try trading your 20 year old, 3rd overall pick with high upside that has not proven anything yet at the NHL level.

No one is saying it's easy, but he has a built in excuse. "He refused to play here so I got what I could." - End of story.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
No one is saying it's easy, but he has a built in excuse. "He refused to play here so I got what I could." - End of story.

I was referring to the time when Drouin initially requested a trade back in November. But yeah, now things have changed.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
I honestly believe the best offers are in the Eastern Conference and Yzerman fearing losing his job if Drouin comes back to bite them, instead of trying to make his team better; is the reason he hasn't been moved.

I think you might be right.

I don't think Stamkos is coming back so he could super package the 2 and get amazing great value back if he has the balls. But to do this he would have to open to trade with all 29 teams no matter what division they play in.

Plus answer to all the TB fans why he traded away maybe the 2 best players TB has now and in the future :laugh:

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I was referring to the time when Drouin initially requested a trade back in November. But yeah, now things have changed.

Oh yeah. I'm sure it was tough because he probably believed in the back of his mind that in time things would calm down and he would keep him in Tampa. You gotta think Yzerman believed he would still be an impact player for his club and the whole thing would blow over.

I'm willing to bet he didn't really try to move him. Probably put out the word that he's available but for a very steep price that no one was willing to pay. However, if someone was, then great, but doubting anyone would and hoping they would work things out. Once Walsh went public though, it blew everything apart.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I really believe Yzerman lost the respect of his club when he didn't stand up for Martin St. Louis when he was the GM of Team Canada. All the TB players seen this unfold and must of thought if Yzerman is doing this to St. Louis he doesn't give a crap about any of his players.

Yzerman and Cooper remind me of 1990s Habs front office. They think they are bigger than the players, that they are the hockey club.

Yzerman carries the arrogance of being a winning player himself, thinks he is better than his players and doesn't have to put up with prima donna behaviour. Cooper is a lawyer who probably thinks all the players are just a bunch of uneducated dumbasses. If the owner Jeff Vinik shares these attitudes and endorses the hardball approach, we're going to see more of this.

The reality is that even though a lot of players often are dumb prima donnas (that's how it goes for elite athletes), that's who the people want to see entertain them. It's management's job to get the most out of the players even if it means coddling them and pretending to respect them, not assert dominance over them through hardball battles.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Juulsen or Scherbak
2nd 2016 (MTL)
2nd 2016 (Minny)

Get it done Bargainbin.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
Oh yeah. I'm sure it was tough because he probably believed in the back of his mind that in time things would calm down and he would keep him in Tampa. You gotta think Yzerman believed he would still be an impact player for his club and the whole thing would blow over.

I'm willing to bet he didn't really try to move him. Probably put out the word that he's available but for a very steep price that no one was willing to pay. However, if someone was, then great, but doubting anyone would and hoping they would work things out. Once Walsh went public though, it blew everything apart.

And now it's compounded by the fact that he's suspended, and fitness/game shape becomes another factor

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011

Not an easy task.

Oh I agree this is not a good situation for sure.

I don't have no way to prove it but I really believe this problem all started with the handling of Martin St. Louis...and next Stamkos and now Drouin.

I will call it my trickle down theory :laugh:

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal

I agree. I also think Yzerman quietly shopped him around but the asking price was probably like you said very steep.

Now, I believe that Yzerman is not doing himself any favours by not moving him for the best offer. I'm sure Yzerman has received a ton of offers from the 9-12 teams that are interested. With current situation, I don't see any GM doing Yzerman any favours, unless there is desperate one out there willing to pay the steep price Yzerman is seeking for.

checkerdome

Oct 31, 2006
Drouin, regardless what one thinks of him, is NOT the magic bullet that will fix this team.
The holes in the Hab's roster are greater than one player can fix.
Trading assets to acquire a player of dubious character, particularly in Montreal where the media & fans eat there own young, will compound a bad situation.

Do you feel Quebec fans and media are harder on a Quebecois player?

checkerdome

Oct 31, 2006
Besides David Desharnais and Darche.. yes.

Latendresse, Ribeiro, Theodore. I'd say 2/3 might have been well deserved.

Did that contribute to Vincent Lecavalier and Daniel Briere avoiding Mtl as free agents?

(I know that Briere signed with the Habs eventually; but only after he chose to play his better years out as a Flyer first when he was a free agent the first time around.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->