TSN: The Drouin Saga Part II - "How You Drouin?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
If the logic behind giving up assets is to acquire a young top 6 player, then why not give Hudon and McCarron 5 games in the top 6 first? See what they can do with Pac/Plek/Gal/Gal and then make a decision. Those two are not Drouin, obviously, but if two in house players could potentially give a boost to the offence of the group, the pressing need and risk of getting fleeced decreases.

Conversely, if you overpay for Drouin and then play him with Weise/DD you are making a pointless trade in the short term.

Because if they score 4+ goals they'll get sent to the AHL again.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Subban wasnt involved it was Gorges. Neither multiple first rounders.

Every weeks that goes by the deal is worst and worst.

Next year people will say it was : Price, Subban, Paciorett, Galchenyuk, 3 first round picks, my wife and my red fish named Stacy.

No, what i wrote is what was discussed at the time.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
sell me on this guy.

Why is he potentially elite? i'm just looking at his stats and I always have a hard time with players who dominate in the QMJHL. 100 pointers are not that rare in that league... I don't see anything that impressive

why isn't he playing in Tampa?

Convince me, do it, i'm opened to it

Well, first of all, he's more nimble, has better hands and better vision than anyone in our roster/system.

He's not in Tampa because he asked for a trade.

He's also not without holes in his game, and some elements don't always transfer well to pro hockey. Still, 0.5 PPG with a good sample size at 19 years old is nothing to scoff at.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Well, first of all, he's more nimble, has better hands and better vision than anyone in our roster/system.

He's not in Tampa because he asked for a trade.

He's also not without holes in his game, and some elements don't always transfer well to pro hockey. Still, 0.5 PPG with a good sample size at 19 years old is nothing to scoff at.

well he asked for a trade BECAUSE he wasn't playing, not the other way around... that's why i'm confused

0.5ppg is fine, but is it really worth what they're presumably asking for?

Habset

Feb 21, 2008
Montreal
If we have a chance to pick up Drouin without giving up any of our key players + McCaron then we need to do it. Drouin will be good and Montreal can't miss out on an opportunity to get a purely offensive potential future star player. That being said, don't expect Drouin to make an impact on the team this year though, a trade for Drouin would be to benefit us in the long run and with the way this team is playing we'd be better off keeping him in the AHL.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
It was never discussed, Brian Lawton ASKED for Subban. As far as we know he was never offered. And the trade never happened.

This magical offer grows every month. It's not true.

Apparently against begged Lawton to take Price, PK, Patches and Plex and Lawton being the genius he is, declined knowing Gainey would sweeten the deal until Bettman stepped in and stopped the hot headed Gainey from making the trade. True story. I swear. :sarcasm:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It was never discussed, Brian Lawton ASKED for Subban. As far as we know he was never offered. And the trade never happened.

This magical offer grows every month. It's not true.

No, it's what was discussed at the time, it hasn't grown since, widely reported on the Habs official message board and also on the credible blog Habs Inside Out.

Keep in mind Subban was not a great prospect at the time.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
No, what i wrote is what was discussed at the time.

Nop it wasnt. I remember bringin back a piece of writibg on the Internet dating back 2009 and it was: Gorges, Plekanec, Higgins and a first.

A quick research today gave me 3 different links from 3 different sites. None mentionnibg neither Price and Subban.

here is one : http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2009/2/18/763096/lecavalier-to-habs-was-lig

I'm sorry if I looked pissed. But its getting on my nerves to see people twisting reality. Deal at the tine was an overpaiement by Gainey, but it wasnt that crazy.

Maybe his name was rumored. But the deal that was sent to nhl and then vetoed by them was ; Higgins, Gorges, Plekanec

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Brian Wilde has found a new niche. He keeps tweeting how the Habs are pursuing Drouin and when nothing happens in a 24-48 hour cycle, he comes back with a comment about how they're showing more interest and have upped their offer but won't say who is being offered.

Hey Brian, I have news for you. Tomorrow the Habs will increase their offer again, just in case you were looking for what to tweet about next.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
If we have a chance to pick up Drouin without giving up any of our key players + McCaron then we need to do it. Drouin will be good and Montreal can't miss out on an opportunity to get a purely offensive potential future star player. That being said, don't expect Drouin to make an impact on the team this year though, a trade for Drouin would be to benefit us in the long run and with the way this team is playing we'd be better off keeping him in the AHL.

I agree. You go after Drouin hard imo. Players of his potential don't change hands often.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Speaking of Lecavalier. We are almost at trend part 3. How many more before Drouin gets traded to another team either than the Habs?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

If we're giving up any of the core assets, then it becomes a matter of opportunity cost and aiming for better and NHL-experienced, proven talent.

Garry Valk

Feb 27, 2002
thedrivefortwentyfive.blogspot.com
Nop it wasnt. I remember bringin back a piece of writibg on the Internet dating back 2009 and it was: Gorges, Plekanec, Higgins and a first.

A quick research today gave me 3 different links from 3 different sites. None mentionnibg neither Price and Subban.

here is one : http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2009/2/18/763096/lecavalier-to-habs-was-lig

I'm sorry if I looked pissed. But its getting on my nerves to see people twisting reality. Deal at the tine was an overpaiement by Gainey, but it wasnt that crazy.

Maybe his name was rumored. But the deal that was sent to nhl and then vetoed by them was ; Higgins, Gorges, Plekanec

This is correct. I recall Pat Hockry validating this on radio as well.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
sell me on this guy.

Why is he potentially elite? i'm just looking at his stats and I always have a hard time with players who dominate in the QMJHL. 100 pointers are not that rare in that league... I don't see anything that impressive

why isn't he playing in Tampa?

Convince me, do it, i'm opened to it

To be fair, if you look at his PPG, his draft year and draft +1 year is significantly better than any recent players, which includes guys like Huberdeau and MacKinnon. In both the playoffs and regular season. So I wouldn't agree that with the assertion that his production isn't rare.

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
I REALLY hope we don't give up core players for Drouin. He was the potential for something big but he hasn't cracked the NHL yet and it's not a guarantee. Picks, prospects and B roster players is all we should be considering. No Beaulieu please!

Pateryns, Ellers, DDs, Angrighettos, Carrs, Sherbacks etc.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
To be fair, if you look at his PPG, his draft year and draft +1 year is significantly better than any recent players, which includes guys like Huberdeau and MacKinnon. In both the playoffs and regular season. So I wouldn't agree that with the assertion that his production isn't rare.

is it actually better than MacKinnon? if so, i'm interested.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
All the parties need to be cognizant that while Beaulieu was shutting down Tarasenko and Kane, Drouin was ordering cheap filter coffee in some back road truck stop diner in northern New York State.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
They gave a 2nd as well as Rundblad.

It's hard to say "shouldn't be all that higher than Rundblad" because Rundblad was seen as a pretty high price to pay at the time. A lot of people thought Turris was a bust and the Sens got fleeced.

So if you're looking at an equivalent piece from Montreal it would probably be our top prospect too...so, McCarron and a 2nd for Drouin?

Runblad was a former 1st round pick, who was highly regarded in Sweden...not sure how high his value was, but it's just to give an idea or a template for a potential Drouin trade.

I'm not even sure Runblad was the Sens top prospect at the time.

This brings me to wonder what a guy like Magnus Nyrgren might have as trade value out there?

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
is it actually better than MacKinnon? if so, i'm interested.

His upside is very attractive, no doubt. But that is all he has, upside.

How will it translate into the NHL? your guess is as good as mine...I would not give up the farm for him.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
All the parties need to be cognizant that while Beaulieu was shutting down Tarasenko and Kane, Drouin was ordering cheap filter coffee in some back road truck stop diner in northern New York State.

Is that right? I could of sworn that was Beaulieu who inexplicably left Kane out in front all alone on the Hawks 3rd goal

I don't get all the fuss with Beaulieu from Habs fans...

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005

Seems like Beaulieu's mistake led to Kane scoring the 4th goal soon after we made it 3-2 thus killing all momentum. Not sure that's the definition of "shutting down". Sometimes you wonder if people actually watch the games or just surf the box scores???

And right now he's playing on the bottom pairing. So top 6 winger or bottom 6 D. Which is more valuable?

Last edited:

Alex514

May 10, 2015
Teams like Colorado & Jets will be all over this kid! Both MacKinnon & Ehlers had some amazing chemistry with Drouin in Jr.

They also have the assets!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->