TSN: The Drouin Saga Part II - "How You Drouin?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
Drouin is 5.11, 20 years old and a left winger shooting from the left.

Why do we need to overpay for this guy again?

Because we need a LWer going forward and Drouin is one with elite potential?

Not saying I'd give the world for him but it's not as if he doesn't fill an important need. We lack both a second line LWer and RWer. Perhaps with Drouin there is less pressure to get a very good RWer as opposed to someone like Vrbata. Or we end up more or less giving up on the year, allow Price all the time he needs to get ready and retool during the off season.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
And a 2nd.

And this was before Rundblad completely flopped (his days as a possible Nicklas Lidstrom were long gone, however).

Not at all. They traded him in December 2011. That was just a few months after he won the Salming Trophy as the SEL's best defenseman and scored the 2nd most points by a defenseman in SEL history. He was still a red hot prospect at the time of the trade.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Hence why Juulsen is an important asset you can give, due to his depth chart possible spots are taken for a while (and bottom-pairing D-Mens are easy to get anyways).

Sherback is... a bit more complicated. Not many prospects on that side.

I would give up both in a trade for Drouin. I don't even think that would be enough.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Not at all. They traded him in December 2011. That was just a few months after he won the Salming Trophy as the SEL's best defenseman and scored the 2nd most points by a defenseman in SEL history. He was still a red hot prospect at the time of the trade.

... And was -11 in 24 games on what was a pretty decent team.

(okay, "long gone" might have been badly worded. Still, it was clear that he wasn't the next Lidstrom or the next Karlsson).

He wasn't hot garbage either.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I'm ok to acquire Drouin as long as the trade doesn't involve any of: Price, Subban, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Gallagher.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hummm... Hudon is ... a completely different player than Drouin.

I mean, in a trade for Drouin, I know I'd want to use Reway, but I don't think he has much value.

Meant in terms of not wanting to roster too many small-framed players, as I specifically alluded to in that post.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
I'm ok to acquire Drouin as long as the trade doesn't involve any of: Price, Subban, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Gallagher.

If any of those 5 are involved in a trade for Drouin... Drouin better not be the only thing coming to MTL or else....

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If any of those 5 are involved in a trade for Drouin... Drouin better not be the only thing coming to MTL or else....

If it comes down to trading any of those players, which is unlikely, you'd be looking at much better than Drouin, no question.

Habfan10

May 16, 2015
3pts in 6 AHL games so far this year. Not exactly ripping it up for what many consider a high end winger.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
If the logic behind giving up assets is to acquire a young top 6 player, then why not give Hudon and McCarron 5 games in the top 6 first? See what they can do with Pac/Plek/Gal/Gal and then make a decision. Those two are not Drouin, obviously, but if two in house players could potentially give a boost to the offence of the group, the pressing need and risk of getting fleeced decreases.

Conversely, if you overpay for Drouin and then play him with Weise/DD you are making a pointless trade in the short term.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
On the bright side, i'm certain that Bergevin won't be as completely demented as Gainey was when he offered Subban, Plekanec, Higgins, Gorges, and multiple first rounders for Lecavalier.

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I would give up both in a trade for Drouin. I don't even think that would be enough.

Yeah, I'd be fine offering any two prospects not named McCarron to be honest. Its when names like McCarron and Beaulieu get mentioned that I start to hesitate. I don't include Galchenyuk because that's a complete non-starter.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto

Add McCarron and this is exactly where I stand as well, seems to be the consensus.

I would even do Juulsen, Scherbak and Minny's 2nd or something like that.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
On the bright side, i'm certain that Bergevin won't be as completely demented as Gainey was when he offered Subban, Plekanec, Higgins, Gorges, and multiple first rounders for Lecavalier.

Subban wasnt involved it was Gorges. Neither multiple first rounders.

Every weeks that goes by the deal is worst and worst.

Next year people will say it was : Price, Subban, Paciorett, Galchenyuk, 3 first round picks, my wife and my red fish named Stacy.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
Subban wasnt involved it was Gorges. Neither multiple first rounders.

Every weeks that goes by the deal is worst and worst.

Next year people will say it was : Price, Subban, Paciorett, Galchenyuk, 3 first round picks, my wife and my red fish named Stacy.

Every year it changes. The first time I heard the rumour, I heard had Price involved.

Honestly, we will never know the truth.

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows
Some lady's argument to not overpaying for drouin to try and save MT's is that any other coach could get more offense out of our roster rofl do people actually believe this. Also thinks we have top 6 players in St Johns

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
sell me on this guy.

Why is he potentially elite? i'm just looking at his stats and I always have a hard time with players who dominate in the QMJHL. 100 pointers are not that rare in that league... I don't see anything that impressive

why isn't he playing in Tampa?

Convince me, do it, i'm opened to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad