The draft positions should be established in late August

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnie D

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why?

We have a unique situation with so many UFA and RFAs hitting the market, teams having so much cap room and with each team having a chance at the 1st pick in the lottery. Teams signing an RFA will give up draft choices (reportedly) and those draft picks should begin in 2005.

Once the balls are drawn, the losers are going to know that they can bid aggressively for RFAs. By keeping the draft order unknown for a month, teams will be less likely to offer an RFA contracts and, give teams an opportunity to retain their players.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Donnie D said:
Why?

We have a unique situation with so many UFA and RFAs hitting the market, teams having so much cap room and with each team having a chance at the 1st pick in the lottery. Teams signing an RFA will give up draft choices (reportedly) and those draft picks should begin in 2005.

Once the balls are drawn, the losers are going to know that they can bid aggressively for RFAs. By keeping the draft order unknown for a month, teams will be less likely to offer an RFA contracts and, give teams an opportunity to retain their players.

ah... teams always know the draft order prior to the UFA/RFA market opening up. more importantly, why shouldn't teams be allowed to make decisions based on what their draft order is going to be? not that too many UFA/RFA decisions are going to be based on a draft-pick that more likely than not won't be playing in the league next year.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Donnie D said:
Why?

With all due respect, this is a terrible idea. Teams always are in a position to know where they draft prior to July 1st (opening of the FA market). Also, in order to trade a draft pick, one needs to know its value, i.e., its place.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Jobu said:
With all due respect, this is a terrible idea. Teams always are in a position to know where they draft prior to July 1st (opening of the FA market). Also, in order to trade a draft pick, one needs to know its value, i.e., its place.

And that is more true this year than any other..... with teams having to rework a good percentage of their rosters there should be more trades than ever.

Donnie D

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
davemess said:
And that is more true this year than any other..... with teams having to rework a good percentage of their rosters there should be more trades than ever.

With so few players under contract, the ability to make trades are going to be rare.

Donnie D

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jobu said:

True, but we have never been in a market as we are going to have in a few weeks.

Now if your goal is to reestablish the league with lots of movement - and that could very well be the goal of the league, by all means set the rules to encourage player movement. Seeing that I am from Tampa, I want a self serving system that includes a minimal amount of movement. Especially with 2 high demand RFAs.

Boltsfan2029

Jul 8, 2002
In deleted threads
Either Jay Feaster or Ron Campbell said at StanFest (or during a radio interview, can't remember which) that the league was taking steps to ensure each team has first shot at its own free agents. I have no link or anything, so everyone take that for what it's worth.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Boltsfan2029 said:
Either Jay Feaster or Ron Campbell said at StanFest (or during a radio interview, can't remember which) that the league was taking steps to ensure each team has first shot at its own free agents. I have no link or anything, so everyone take that for what it's worth.
Here is a link on the TB situation from today :

Lightning could be shaken to the core

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/11/Columns/Lightning_could_be_sh.shtml

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
The Messenger said:
Here is a link on the TB situation from today :

Lightning could be shaken to the core

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/07/11/Columns/Lightning_could_be_sh.shtml

Yet another doom and gloom article, based on the silly notion that restricted free agents are going somewhere. Every single RFA Tampa wants back will be back. Khabby, Andreychuk and Taylor were going to be unrestricted regardless of a cap.

It's a total non-story.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
free agency and this year's draft have NOTHING to do with each other...if a team signs a RFA and has to surrender draft picks that compensation would begin in 2006. the draft is held before free agency therefore the draft pick compensation is the following year.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Jobu said:

:dunno: By July 1 the draft is normally over. So how are they going to know where they are drafting when the next draft is 11 months and an entire hockey season away? :dunno: Any team trading a pick in July is trading an unknown draft position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->