The Dispearsal Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Good Flying Bird*

Chimaera said:
First, I'm saying, in a trade involving a player like Cujo, or Hatcher, or whoever, a deal would work like, Cujo + some decent prospect for a cheaper vet/younger player. The prospect would be part of the impetus to get another team to 'eat' most of the salary. If a team's gonna pay a player part of his salary, and I get something back in return, Cujo's not as bad of a player to pickup.

Oh, so now the Wings have to part with a prospect to unload a veteran.
Whatever.
Yeah. Illitch will go for that.

Chimaera said:
How does it not hurt anyone to grandfather in old contracts? Part of the whole new system isn't just to make the big bad large market teams cut spending. It's to allow other teams to even out the talent gaps by the eventual reduction in payrolls of large market teams. [/Chimaera]

Nonsense.
It's about bring salaries down, pure and simple.
The NHL isn't concerned with parity, or this would also be about sharing revenues.

Grandfathering in those contracts definitely hurts the small market teams who were going to benefit from the eventual slash of payroll. Not to mention, if you allow the 'old contracts' to stay on the books, does that mean a team like the Rangers can just go out and spend money? Or are they stuck with the rosters they had pre-lockout?

Yeah. Having grandfather clauses on old, vastly overpaid players is really going to hurt Columbus or Nashville.
If you've been reading what I've been saying (seems unlikely), you'd know that I'm not talking about Detroit or the Rangers having the ability to go out and sign Kovalev.
I'm talking about having the ability to maintain the current roster.
The NHL would have to make some sort of scale that allows teams to fill out their roster in a fair and equitable manner during this transition.

Seriously, with or without the 24 percent salary rebate, any team with Jagr or Yashin is at a great disadvantage for many years.

I know that because I'm pro-PA, you guys probably thinkin I'm simply trying to bust the cap.
But that's not the case

Chimaera said:
It might be a successful business in Detroit, but it would be a pretty lame season if Detroit was to faceoff against 6 other teams who could afford to ice a roster. There is no TV dollars to balance the gap between rich and poor, no cost certainty until this point. That's what needs to be achieved.

Detroit is a team on the downswing. Letting these old guys play out their old contracts isn't going to give Detroit any advantage over anyone.
As a fan, I'd love to see Cujo and Hatcher taken off our hands in a dispersal draft.
But I just don't think it is a realistic or fair expectation.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
Good lord you small market whiners are annoying. You're already getting a CBA negotiated for the benefit the worst performers in the league. What about your little 'competitive balance' wet dream? How does screwing teams that you don't like help to acheive competitive balance & parity? It doesn't..

And sure, teams knew that a new economic system was coming, but they did not know whether it would be a hard cap, a soft cap, or a luxury tax based system.

IMO, here's how it should shake down..
Keep the 24% rollback and allow the 05 contracts to expire as scheduled. Have a dispersal draft, but allow a team to protect as many players as they want. Unprotected players are put on 'dispersal waivers' and entered into the draft. If a player is picked up off waivers, their salary goes 100% to the new team and counts against the new team's cap. If a player is not picked up off waivers, the team can keep him & his salary can count 100% against the cap OR the team can buy him out at the rate negotiated in the CBA and only have 50% of the buyout amount count against the cap. The player becomes a UFA and can sign wherever he wants.

SENSible1*

EndBoards said:
Keep the 24% rollback and allow the 05 contracts to expire as scheduled. Have a dispersal draft, but allow a team to protect as many players as they want. Unprotected players are put on 'dispersal waivers' and entered into the draft. If a player is picked up off waivers, their salary goes 100% to the new team and counts against the new team's cap. If a player is not picked up off waivers, the team can keep him & his salary can count 100% against the cap OR the team can buy him out at the rate negotiated in the CBA and only have 50% of the buyout amount count against the cap. The player becomes a UFA and can sign wherever he wants.

A fairly good system...I'd bump the % against the cap up to 50% of the original contract and not 50% of the buyout amount, but otherwise a decent proposal.

A Good Flying Bird*

EndBoards said:
Good lord you small market whiners are annoying. You're already getting a CBA negotiated for the benefit the worst performers in the league. What about your little 'competitive balance' wet dream? How does screwing teams that you don't like help to acheive competitive balance & parity? It doesn't..

And sure, teams knew that a new economic system was coming, but they did not know whether it would be a hard cap, a soft cap, or a luxury tax based system.

Good Lord.
Your idea of fair transition is to charge 50 percent of the buyout against the cap???

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
EndBoards said:

Fair system IMO, all teams should have the possibility to protect their players up the cap, the others should be put on waivers. I would also add a rule that say that the teams that go the the cap limit, also need to have qualified a full roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->