The Dispearsal Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The Dispearsal Draft

If such a draft does take place before next season as it has been rumoured... could someone please clarify what proportion it will have?

I think it would work much like a mega waiver draft. Teams will be able to protect X number of players, leaving those players they can no longer afford (under the Cap) to be picked up by the other teams.

OR

does it mean EVERY player will be entered into the mother of all drafts. And anyone could end up anywhere. And we'll have something like Koivu in Nashville, Bonk in Edmonton, Theodore in Long Island, Souray back in NJ, Zednick in Clolumbus, Bulis in Detroit, etc...

Could someone just clarify that for me? Thanks.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
nomorekids said:
if, in the very slight chance it came to be, i assume they'd let you have a "protected" list.

I hope so. I can't bare Koivu in Detroit, Yzerman in Philadelphia and Primeau in Montreal. It would just be too crazy. And would **** all marketing campaigns down the toilet.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
The Macho Man said:
I hope so. I can't bare Koivu in Detroit, Yzerman in Philadelphia and Primeau in Montreal. It would just be too crazy. And would **** all marketing campaigns down the toilet.

nah,that would be completely nonsensical. it would work in a similar fashion to the waiver draft, and the only guys you'd see moving would be albatross-contract types.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
A dispersial draft would be ridiculous. No need for it at all. Never want to see it.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
nomorekids said:
nah,that would be completely nonsensical. it would work in a similar fashion to the waiver draft, and the only guys you'd see moving would be albatross-contract types.

But what team would want to take on those contracts???? That's the more important question. If it is a protected player list.....something like was done for the expansion draft, but here, teams need to get under the cap....do you really think teams would be willing to take on LeClaire at $9 million per year, when he is at the tail end of his career? Tough call.

I'll wait to see what is decided upon before I start any major speculation on what teams will and won't do.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I dont see this mega dispersal draft happening either , but I do see some type of draft which would allow teams over the cap to possibly get rid of big contracts .

either way , there will be some buyouts (Lecalir,Amonte,Nolan)and these guys will have their fat buyout cheques in hand and would be willing to play for dirt cheap elsewhere.

Munchausen

I think if the NHL goes down that road, it's pretty obvious there will be a protection list. What would be the justification to have ALL players available when the goal of the exercise is just to allow teams over to get under?

If the dispersal draft is just for the teams over, then maybe there could be a clause that states the player's originating team will take on 1/3rd of his salary, and if they can't find a buyer, they'll have to buy the player out themselves.

Just speculation, nobody knows, but I wouldn't expect to see a grandfathering clause to allow teams over to progressively get rid of big salaries in the next few years. Teams were warned long before the lockout started. If after a 24% rollback you're still over, it's your problem for not thinking ahead when every GM and owner knew this was coming.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Isles72 said:
I dont see this mega dispersal draft happening either , but I do see some type of draft which would allow teams over the cap to possibly get rid of big contracts .

either way , there will be some buyouts (Lecalir,Amonte,Nolan)and these guys will have their fat buyout cheques in hand and would be willing to play for dirt cheap elsewhere.

interestingly, TSN ran a story on Leclair where he sounded like he was willing to renegotiate with the flyers... i'm sort of ready to see the flyers trend younger, especially given Leclair's limited talents (he isn't useful as a third-line checker), but it would be nice to see him end his career down here after making a decision to renegotiate like that.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
craig1 said:
But what team would want to take on those contracts???? That's the more important question. If it is a protected player list.....something like was done for the expansion draft, but here, teams need to get under the cap....do you really think teams would be willing to take on LeClaire at $9 million per year, when he is at the tail end of his career? Tough call.

I'll wait to see what is decided upon before I start any major speculation on what teams will and won't do.

Well, it's hard to speculate on the details, since we don't even know if this has even a remote chance of happening, but what i've HEARD is that if you selected the player...the original team would be on the hook for at least PART of the salary. it's just a means to relieve some teams of some of the salary burden, while other teams pick up guys\get up above the floor in a way they wouldn't have been able to, before.

WC Handy*

I would imagine before any dispersal draft teams would be given the opportunity to waive players to get under the cap. Many teams will have plenty of payroll room and could very well be interested in an Amonte or a LeClair (especially at 76% of their salary).

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON
There is no need for a dispersal draft (especially if the 2004-2005 contracts are done away with), since all teams are in one way or the other under the cap for 05-06 with the 24% rollback. Some have more players under contract than others.

Those teams that are approaching the cap figure and only have a few players under contract will just have to rely upon the Lonny Bohonoses, Josh Green, and other scrubs to fill out their team. Other teams that planned for the lockout, will have the benefit of cap room to go out and sign the big name UFAs to fill out their roster.

Bettman warned all teams that the lockout was coming so they'd better plan for it. I just can't see him going back on his word and grandfathering ANYTHING. It's not fair to those teams that focused on their player development and other aspects of hockey that would ensure they remain competitive in a CAPPED NHL immediately after the work stoppage ended.

Teams with fat contracts to useless players will have to either bite the bullet or buy those players out, The buyout amount WILL count towards that year's salary cap for their team.

WC Handy*

But you're assuming that the league will get the rollback and not have to honor the 04-05 contracts. The latest reports suggest that the teams will either have to honor the 04-05 contracts to get the rollback or not get the rollback at all.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
AH said:
There is no need for a dispersal draft (especially if the 2004-2005 contracts are done away with), since all teams are in one way or the other under the cap for 05-06 with the 24% rollback. Some have more players under contract than others.

Those teams that are approaching the cap figure and only have a few players under contract will just have to rely upon the Lonny Bohonoses, Josh Green, and other scrubs to fill out their team. Other teams that planned for the lockout, will have the benefit of cap room to go out and sign the big name UFAs to fill out their roster.

Bettman warned all teams that the lockout was coming so they'd better plan for it. I just can't see him going back on his word and grandfathering ANYTHING. It's not fair to those teams that focused on their player development and other aspects of hockey that would ensure they remain competitive in a CAPPED NHL immediately after the work stoppage ended.

Teams with fat contracts to useless players will have to either bite the bullet or buy those players out, The buyout amount WILL count towards that year's salary cap for their team.

You have made several HUGE assumptions:
1) 24% rollback is in place. I would be surprised if this happens, but that's just me.
2) Contract buy-out's will count against the cap. Again, I would be VERY surprised if this happens. Example: PHI would be on the hook for $12M in the buy-out's of Amonte & Leclair. I just can't see the players going for this.

The owners might be getting almost everything they want in the CBA. But it's these type of issues that the players will likely be able to hold the line on. The 24% issue isn't a huge issue for the owners as there are very few players still under contract. And it really isn't required to set the bar for new player contracts because it sounds like there will be a hard cap at $38M (with a luxury tax from 34-38M). Add in the number of UFA's that will be available, I think the "new" market value will establish itself without the rollback.

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON
Beukeboom Fan said:
You have made several HUGE assumptions:
1) 24% rollback is in place. I would be surprised if this happens, but that's just me.
2) Contract buy-out's will count against the cap. Again, I would be VERY surprised if this happens. Example: PHI would be on the hook for $12M in the buy-out's of Amonte & Leclair. I just can't see the players going for this.

The owners might be getting almost everything they want in the CBA. But it's these type of issues that the players will likely be able to hold the line on. The 24% issue isn't a huge issue for the owners as there are very few players still under contract. And it really isn't required to set the bar for new player contracts because it sounds like there will be a hard cap at $38M (with a luxury tax from 34-38M). Add in the number of UFA's that will be available, I think the "new" market value will establish itself without the rollback.

I agree that the rolllback is less and less significant to the owners since most contracts have now expired. I doubt they hold the entire thing up for a handful of contracts. Getting the hard cap at 38 linked to 54% revenue is all they really care about. Now they can concede on other issues, such as UFA and arb.

However where I am in disagreement with you is the cost of buying out a player not counting towards the cap. It's not anyone's fault (other than their own) that Toronto gave Belfour that stupid contract, and acuired a Nolan contract. They should face the consequnces of that decision. The Flyers went out and acuired Amonte's contract and gave Lclaire that contract knowing his back problems.

What I would like to know is how many teams are over the cap for 05-06 without the rollback (and how many roster spots left to fill out the team).

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
a dispersal draft will never happen. the rumor is the league wants a dispersal draft where the original team still pays part or all of the salary, are you kidding?? do you seriously think that an owner like jim dolan is gonna continue to pay holik's contract while he plays for another team? the big market owners who would be losing guys would sue the pants off the league and block this so fast. it is one thing to force a team to dump or trade a player and free them of the $$. but you can't make them lose the player and still pay him.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't think a dispersal draft is that bad of an idea.

There are going to be some teams who are over the Cap, if they tie in the contracts from the past year like there is talk of. And similarly, teams like NY, Toronto, and Detroit (and a few others) are going to be hard pressed to move the expensive players in order to get under the Cap.

There isn't going to be any type of grandfather clause, so they're going to end up having to mortage their future by paying for players who aren't on the teams, or ditching cheaper, younger talent, while being held to the anchor of dead weight and overpaid players. Yeah, in some ways those teams deserve it for their freespending ways. But, in a reality, they can't be allowed to be hurt to extensively.

A dispersal draft could at least allow teams to move to get rid of players who are costly. however, I don't know if it would go like some would think. A team is not going to just want to get an overpaid player from another team. I think it would end up most likely involving some trades where a team takes "Player X" (who is overpaid and underacheiving" along with "Prospect Y" (who is a decent prospect that fills a need) in exchange for "Player Z" (who is either a young affordable [read cheap] player or a cheap vet). The first team gets cap relief, while not giving up much of their main talent base at the NHL level. And the second team who takes on the expensive player, gets above the Cap Basement, and gets another prospect out of it.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
I hate the idea of a dispersal draft. Everyone knew there would be a cap, so if teams are over the cap thats their own fault. Make the team buy out the contracts of players to get them under the cap. So if the Wings have to buy out Hatcher so be it but allow him to sign a contract anywhere he chooses. After all why punish Hatcher for Illitch's mistake?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
JWI19 said:
I hate the idea of a dispersal draft. Everyone knew there would be a cap, so if teams are over the cap thats their own fault. Make the team buy out the contracts of players to get them under the cap. So if the Wings have to buy out Hatcher so be it but allow him to sign a contract anywhere he chooses. After all why punish Hatcher for Illitch's mistake?

How would a dispersal draft punish Hatcher? He's still going to get his cash. In a buyout, he'd probably get a lump sum, and that'd be the end of it. In a dispersal, he'd get all of his money that's owed to him on the end of the contract.

I don't think we're talking about 200-300 players moving around from team to team like a complete fantasy draft. This would ultimately be like 20-30 at maximum to help relieve the salary burdens of some teams, giving them a bit more manueverability. It's going to happen anyways, through either buyouts, or trades like the Jagr deal to NY, where Jagr's contract is still lacing 'em up for the Caps.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Chimaera said:
How would a dispersal draft punish Hatcher? He's still going to get his cash. In a buyout, he'd probably get a lump sum, and that'd be the end of it. In a dispersal, he'd get all of his money that's owed to him on the end of the contract.

I don't think we're talking about 200-300 players moving around from team to team like a complete fantasy draft. This would ultimately be like 20-30 at maximum to help relieve the salary burdens of some teams, giving them a bit more manueverability. It's going to happen anyways, through either buyouts, or trades like the Jagr deal to NY, where Jagr's contract is still lacing 'em up for the Caps.

Maybe he doesn't want to move clear accross the country (lets says a team like the Sharks took him). Maybe he's rather stay near his familty and sign a contract with the Blue Jackets or the Black Hawks?

WC Handy*

NYR469 said:
the big market owners who would be losing guys would sue the pants off the league and block this so fast.

Yea... except for that important fact that those big market teams would have no legal grounds to sue. If it is approved by the owners, then too damn bad.

SENSible1*

What about the idea of a dispersal draft where a team could choose to protect between 6 and the current 21 players used for the waiver draft?

Teams that want to dump some contracts could make them available and teams that want to protect their roster could do so.

You could even allow a 50% buyout vs the cap for any player put into the draft and not selected. (player would still get 2/3 buyout)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->