Movies: The Disaster Artist

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I just laboured through it, and I gotta say, I just didn't find it all that entertaining

It was well-made and Franco's performance may have been spot on, but it's not particularly funny, and since Wiseau is an incredibly annoying guy, I'm just not sure there's much here to recommend

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Only nomination was for best adapted screenplay:

Which is funny because as a filmmaker, I find Franco's writing to be his weakest spot (although he didn't write this one alone). Still, I don't think the screenplay was really what made it stand out as a film, personally.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just watched The Room (for the first time) and The Disaster Artist back to back. It was like watching a movie and then all of the DVD/Blu-ray extras (that were more interesting than the film, itself). Compared to The Room, The Disaster Artist felt like a masterpiece and I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say that there's anything remarkable about it (though Franco's performance is pretty good). It's your standard biopic... except with a more off-kilt subject.

The closest comparison is, obviously, Ed Wood, but that had more mass appeal and didn't require you to have seen Plan 9 from Outer Space. This is pretty much just for "fans" of The Room, IMO, since there are so many scenes (especially re-enactments of original scenes) that would probably just seem weird, out of context or disturbing if you're not already familiar with them. If you know all of the scenes, though, it can be pretty interesting to learn what was going on between takes and why scenes ended up as they did.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen The Room, but, for those that have and can find entertainment in that awful film, The Disaster Artist is a perfect companion film.

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I was fascinated all the way through the movie. And I usually dislike James Franco. A loving tribute to Hollywood outsiders and struggling actors. The movie has a big heart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->