Movies: The Disaster Artist

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I almost feel like this will just be over-saturation,considering this is fully catered only to people that have seen The Room. I doubt this is something like

The Room is hilarious enough on its own. Even some of the gags they do at those screenings are a bit much. I like Rogen/Franco movies, but I'm not so sure about this one.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I lost it at that trailer. Love The Room, so this should be interesting.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Saw it last night - raise your expectations, the buzz is real.

My mini-review:
James Franco's second tour de force acting performance (after Spring Breakers) - give him all the Oscars. Based on the book that documents the chaos of filming bad-movie-cult-classic The Room, the Franco brothers take the helm of portraying the wild Tommy Wiseau and Greg Sestero. This was probably the funniest movie I've seen this year - from the opening scene all the way until the credits finished rolling. James Franco engulfs himself into the role of Wiseau, brilliantly executing his voice and mannerisms to the point where during the Q&A after, it was indistinguishable. There is also a surprising amount of heart to the film, largely carried by Dave Franco's portrayal of Greg Sestero who during the filming of The Room was a struggling actor trying to make it in Hollywood. As you would expect, the film was also packed heavy on cameos - all of which were used effectively without being excessive. Paul Scheer put it best after the movie - you do not need to see The Room to thoroughly enjoy this movie. "If you've never seen The Room, this is like a prequel. If you have seen it, this is like a sequel."

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Huh. I didn't get the impression just from the trailer that he had engrossed himself in the accent and mannerisms. I'll still check it out either way.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Bump-Drawing really good reviews, have to wait a couple weeks to see it. Anyone going this weekend post a review.

ghostnights

Oct 8, 2010
Edmonton
I watched this film last night . I was really impressed with James Francos portrayal . The supporting cast was also strong . I'd put this alongside Lady Bird and Three Billboards as one of my favourites this year

Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I just saw this tonight. James Franco kills it, with a great portrayal (they compare scenes after the film, it really is spot on). However, and of course this is incidental, despite the reviews saying you don't need to know about The Room to enjoy this film, my gf, who knew nothing about this movie, was a little confused by the background of it, a sentiment shared by a couple others I overheard talking after the movie. That said, it's an impressive cast and a well-told story. I would just advise watching (or at least reading the background) of The Room.

8/10

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Did a double feature of the Room then DA.

If you can see it at Alamo Drafthouse. They've got a bunch of Room preshow bits like Tommy Wisseau's Star Wars and his Street Fasions USA ad.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I loved it, great story about the behind the scenes on the film. Wiseau is quite the character and I was laughing throughout the entire thing. Definitely a watch for any of The Room fans out there. Nice to see the theatre was packed for the showing I went to on Friday night.

Reactions: Ol' Jase

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I watched a screener yesterday, and was expecting more. I am sure it would have played better on a big screen with an excited paying crowd, but to me it was a little flat but still entertaining.

[ifd I have only seen clips of The Room]

B/B-

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Great movie, and James Franco is spectacular as Wiseau . The mannerism, the tonality of his speech, the awkward "ha-ha-ha", truly awesome performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad