The Dictator Bob Goodenow better leave the door open with Thursday's offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Bob's offer better have cap type terms this Thursday or at least composed of language that leaves the door open for a counter offer. Anything less such as a drag on salary, luxury tax, etc. just won't cut. If the door closes look for the new NHL to start up next year with players getting less than half of what they got before the lockout began. The blind (players) being led by the blind (Goodenow) better open their eyes and salvage what they can while they can. This is their last chance for a say on how things will turn out. It is possible to have a cap without saying it's a cap. Find a way to get it done which is what players have been coached to do since they were very young. Time to step up and take the high road for the fans who will still be here long after current players are retired and mostly forgotten about.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Or one could say, Bettman better stop trying to play dictator by locking out the players till his unrealistic demands are met...

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Or one could say, Bettman better stop trying to play dictator by locking out the players till his unrealistic demands are met...

In other words you still support the tail wagging the dog? The players and the NHLPA have one chance and one chance only to salvage their 1.3 million average salary. If they close the door on Thursday they will no longer have a contract and will have to reapply so to speak at a much lower salary in the new NHL. Their offer better use cost certainty termanology without actually calling it a cap. If Goodenow can do that he is smarter than he is pig headed which is what many of fans think of him right now.

CorneliusBennet

Nov 29, 2004
hmm, dictator, eh? I'm sorry, but I was under the impression that the players actually participated in the process of selecting their NHLPA chief, is my understanding incorrect? If not then 'dictator' doesn't apply. It's loaded term used to incite an emotional reaction which will not help anyone.
Less hyperbole and vitrol from both sides (yeah, I'm aware that we are 'just fans' and don't affect the process one way or another) would be a great thing.
I will not attempt to argue the relative merits of mandatory spending limits imposed on a company by an organizing/regulatory body because that is not why I come to hockey forums. I will suggest that unless both sides calm down (and this includes fans) then not only will they be unable to save the league, there won't be a point to doing so.
One final thought: anyone have any idea what happens to the public funds that went into financing what are essentially privately owned venues in most cases now that the people who got those funds to run their business (again, at taxpayer expense) have chosen to lock out their employees? That's a tremendous waste of my taxpayers money. I'd love to hear Mario tell me all about that new stadium he "must have" in order to survive (and how *I* "must" pay for it with MY freakin' tax dollars which should by all rights to go public education.) Really, Mario, tell me all about it... you want someone to limit your competitors ability to spend their own money on their own team (a salary cap) plus you want limits on the ability of young players to earn a certain amount of money (rookie salary caps) and you want to retain players rights until they're at least 30 (sorry, it amounts to indentured servitude regardless of the salary levels) and then, to top it all of, you want to take my money to buy your company (a team in this case) a new place to operate your business out of?
Here's an idea: No.

SPARTAKUS*

eye said:
Bob's offer better have cap type terms this Thursday or at least composed of language that leaves the door open for a counter offer. Anything less such as a drag on salary, luxury tax, etc. just won't cut. If the door closes look for the new NHL to start up next year with players getting less than half of what they got before the lockout began. The blind (players) being led by the blind (Goodenow) better open their eyes and salvage what they can while they can. This is their last chance for a say on how things will turn out. It is possible to have a cap without saying it's a cap. Find a way to get it done which is what players have been coached to do since they were very young. Time to step up and take the high road for the fans who will still be here long after current players are retired and mostly forgotten about.
what makes you think that the NLRB will side with the owners??? The law (National Labor Relation Act) requires that both sides "bargain in good faith." This means that they both must come to the table willing to give and take. The players are showing that they are bargaining in good faith I can't say the same for the owners. So there is not chance in hell that NLRB will side with the owners.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
OTTSENS said:
what makes you think that the NLRB will side with the owners??? The law (National Labor Relation Act) requires that both sides "bargain in good faith." This means that they both must come to the table willing to give and take. The players are showing that they are bargaining in good faith I can't say the same for the owners. So there is not chance in hell that NLRB will side with the owners.

I think the pro owner lobbyists are going to be in for a big surprise when the NLRB rules against them.

eye said:
Bob's offer better have cap type terms this Thursday or at least composed of language that leaves the door open for a counter offer. Anything less such as a drag on salary, luxury tax, etc. just won't cut. If the door closes look for the new NHL to start up next year with players getting less than half of what they got before the lockout began. The blind (players) being led by the blind (Goodenow) better open their eyes and salvage what they can while they can. This is their last chance for a say on how things will turn out. It is possible to have a cap without saying it's a cap. Find a way to get it done which is what players have been coached to do since they were very young. Time to step up and take the high road for the fans who will still be here long after current players are retired and mostly forgotten about

This doesn't sound like Bob is the dictator in these "negotiations". And I use the term negotiations loosely.. "take it or leave it" is not really negotiating

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
OTTSENS said:
The players are showing that they are bargaining in good faith I can't say the same for the owners.

I don't know if there is much difference in bargaining tactics here between the PA and the league.

The players made an initial proposal, then they made a second proposal which was even less than the first.

The Owners made 6 proposals, each of them structured differently but ultimately the same result.

Seems like neither side was real pro-active up to this point.

So now the players are coming back and based on the rumours have made further concessions but basically the same frame work as the original two proposals.

What I am wondering is, if the league declines it - as many are anticipating - but the proposal is in fact enough to demonstrate "good faith bargaining" by the PA, then what's keeping the league doing the same thing? They could demonstrate "good faith" as well by resubmitting one (or all 6) of their proposals with higher numbers?

Assuming (just for arguments sake) that the leagues ultimate motive is to declare an impass, then isn't the PA playing right into their hands?

Each side can continue to demonstrate "good faith" conceding a little here and a little there but as long as the dividing line is a tie to revenues, then the league doesn't have much to worry about in terms of trying to declare an impass...right?

SPARTAKUS*

copperandblue said:
I don't know if there is much difference in bargaining tactics here between the PA and the league.

The players made an initial proposal, then they made a second proposal which was even less than the first.

The Owners made 6 proposals, each of them structured differently but ultimately the same result.

Seems like neither side was real pro-active up to this point.

So now the players are coming back and based on the rumours have made further concessions but basically the same frame work as the original two proposals.

What I am wondering is, if the league declines it - as many are anticipating - but the proposal is in fact enough to demonstrate "good faith bargaining" by the PA, then what's keeping the league doing the same thing? They could demonstrate "good faith" as well by resubmitting one (or all 6) of their proposals with higher numbers?

Assuming (just for arguments sake) that the leagues ultimate motive is to declare an impass, then isn't the PA playing right into their hands?

Each side can continue to demonstrate "good faith" conceding a little here and a little there but as long as the dividing line is a tie to revenues, then the league doesn't have much to worry about in terms of trying to declare an impass...right?

man the owners are playing russian roulette if the only thing they want is to break the union. Let's say that they cancelled this season and they declare impasse. But the NLRB sides with the players what is next?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Steve L said:
How is it unrealistic when the other major sports have precisely what Bettman is proposing?

Are you kidding me? Mommy...Johnny has a red waggon, and Steve L has a Red Wagon......now i MUST have a red waggon. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
OTTSENS said:
man the owners are playing russian roulette if the only thing they want is to break the union. Let's say that they cancelled this season and they declare impasse. But the NLRB sides with the players what is next?

Who knows but that wasn't really the point I was trying to make.

I keep reading that the PA is bargaining in good faith and the League isn't. Or the opposite - depending on which side the person supports.

If all it takes is - in the case of the PA - is to change the numbers on the same 'ol proposal in order to be considered bargaining in good faith then the league can do the same.

In the end it's all irrelevant because the issue - to date - has nothing to do with the numbers and every thing to do with the methods....something that hasn't changed on either side.

I just think it's silly for either side or supporters of either side to say "this side is trying but that side isn't"....

I just used your post a jumping in point more than anything....

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Are you kidding me? Mommy...Johnny has a red waggon, and Steve L has a Red Wagon......now i MUST have a red waggon. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Sounds like an arbitration hearing...

Billy makes 8 mil a year and Mikey makes 8 mil a year ......now I MUST make 8 mil a year!!!!!

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Your posts get more stupid with each and every thread, youre comparing copying proven successful business models to kids wanting toys?
:lol: :lol

Pure comedy!

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
To those of you that are on the pro player anti owner bandwagon - do you think it is unreasonble for owners to dictate what system is used for remuneration of their players? The owners are willing to negotiate within the framework of a partnership that includes a link between costs and revenue. They have that right and it finally shows what is long overdue in the NHL = owners being fiscally responsible backed up by a legally binding CBA. Pretty good business principles that few can dispute. The owners are not willing to negotiate the type of system they use and nor should they be obliged to. Players have to remember that fans and owners pay their way and its time to listen to what the owners and most fans believe is long overdue.

YellHockey*

eye said:
Players have to remember that fans and owners pay their way and its time to listen to what the owners and most fans believe is long overdue.

Its time? It's been almost a century since the owners first started talking about a salary cap. When are they going to learn that they're never going to get it?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Steve L said:
Your posts get more stupid with each and every thread, youre comparing copying proven successful business models to kids wanting toys?
:lol: :lol

Pure comedy!

Your comparing different sports with each other...different markets for each, different amounts of salary each takes in, ETC ETC. :shakehead :shakehead
But I guess you werent smart enought to figure my post out. :shakehead

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
FLYLine4LIFE said:

now that is a terrific answer. you say that the nhl's demand for a salary cap is unrealistic. you are asked why it unrealistic to ask for what other major sports have and your answer is the "mommy, he's touching me." defense??

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
eye said:
To those of you that are on the pro player anti owner bandwagon - do you think it is unreasonble for owners to dictate what system is used for remuneration of their players?

Yes. Unions are supposed to prevent this type of dictating.

The owners are willing to negotiate within the framework of a partnership that includes a link between costs and revenue.

The players don't want to be partners with Gary Bettman and William Wirtz. They prefer to be employees. Small wonder. I wouldn't want to be caught in the same room with these guys. A partner? Wouldn't that mean Bettman speaks for the players? They despise him.

They have that right

No, they don't have the right.

and it finally shows what is long overdue in the NHL = owners being fiscally responsible backed up by a legally binding CBA.

A CBA is supposed to protect workers, not owners. That the owners are fiscally responsible is supposed to be a given. That's part of their job description.

Pretty good business principles that few can dispute. The owners are not willing to negotiate the type of system they use and nor should they be obliged to. Players have to remember that fans and owners pay their way and its time to listen to what the owners and most fans believe is long overdue.

Maybe Gary Bettman should remember who pays his way. Without hockey players, who would hire him?

Tom

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Your comparing different sports with each other...different markets for each, different amounts of salary each takes in, ETC ETC. :shakehead :shakehead

yea, thats true. the salary cap leagues, NFL and NBA, are the two most successful pro leagues to date. the nhl is by far the professional sport hurting the most. why a failing sport would want to consider the direction of the more successful sports makes perfect sense.

YellHockey*

txpd said:
yea, thats true. the salary cap leagues, NFL and NBA, are the two most successful pro leagues to date. the nhl is by far the professional sport hurting the most. why a failing sport would want to consider the direction of the more successful sports makes perfect sense.

Then why don't they follow the NFL's lead?

The NFL had implemented extensive revenue sharing decades before they had a salary cap. Why can't the NHL implement extensive revenue sharing, since that's something they don't need to bargain with the PA, and then later on, if revenue sharing doesn't work, try to implement their cap?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Every post and thread has become a debate... man this has become tiring... I miss arguing about the games themselves, and the my team beat your team last night stuff... GB and Knob Goodenow better get this straitened out! :banghead: :mad: :madfire:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
CorneliusBennet said:
sorry, it amounts to indentured servitude regardless of the salary levels

Actually it doesn't, because they are completely free to sign anywhere they want besides the NHL and there is nothing the Penguins or anyone else can do about it. Heck, they are even free to sign with other NHL teams as RFAs if they can arrange a contract at salary terms that they want (forcing the Pengs to match or take compensation).

A Good Flying Bird*

eye said:

Hey eye.
Instead of blathering on and on and on (without offering any reasoning) about Goodenow and the players, why don't you show explain to us why the NHLPA's latest proposal won't work.

Alright?

Because your posts are just about useless.

Explain to me why a 10 percent salary cut, changes to arbitration, a 75 percent tax on salaries over 40 Million, and severe penalties for salaries over 55 Million ... explain to me why this won't help the owners make money.
Explain why they must have a cap.

Now, if you can do this is a logical, reasonable fashion, carry on with your tedious method of posting.

Consider this a "Put Up Or Shut Up" challenge.
Thank you.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Steven frigging Hawking isnt smart enough to figure out any of your posts!

Every time someone makes a great point or proves you wrong, you just resort to throwing your toys, changing the subject or stupid insults.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Newsguyone said:
Hey eye.
Instead of blathering on and on and on (without offering any reasoning) about Goodenow and the players, why don't you show explain to us why the NHLPA's latest proposal won't work.

Alright?

Because your posts are just about useless.

Explain to me why a 10 percent salary cut, changes to arbitration, a 75 percent tax on salaries over 40 Million, and severe penalties for salaries over 55 Million ... explain to me why this won't help the owners make money.
Explain why they must have a cap.

Now, if you can do this is a logical, reasonable fashion, carry on with your tedious method of posting.

Consider this a "Put Up Or Shut Up" challenge.
Thank you.

A 10% rollback is a short term fix, in 3 or 4 years time it will be as if it didnt happen.
Revenue sharing just spreads the losses between the teams, it doenst actually put the league into better shape.
I agree that rookie caps and different arbitration rulings will help but it isnt enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->