The DFT 2004 Entry Mock Draft Season Finale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The long expected mock draft is finally here. You are witnessing HF history, folks. Now, without further delay, here she goes:

1.Washington Captials-Alexander Ovechkin
-They think about taking Malkin, but then snap out of it and take the future superstar Ovechkin.

2.Pittsburgh Penguins-Evgeni Malkin
-With Ovechkin gone, Malkin is the clear cut next pick.

3.Chicago Blackhawks-Lauri Tukonen
-Having Babchuk and Seabrook in their system, they pass on Barker to take the physical Finn to go along with fellow countryman Ruutu.

4.Columbus Blue Jackets-Cameron Barker
-McLean makes the obvious pick in Barker, and then explains how Barker would be his first pick no matter what.

5.Phoenix Coyotes-Marek Schwarz
-Not confident in Boucher, Bierk, and Johnson, they take the BGA in Schwarz.

6.New York Rangers-Andrew Ladd
-Sather takes the No.1 NA skater, and people see that it is true: even Sather couldn't have screwed that pick up.

7.Florida Panthers-Robbie Schremp
-With the physical Horton and Stewart in the system, they take the very skilled Schremp, and hope Martin can cool that attidue.

8.Carolina Hurricanes-Rostislav Olesz
-They think of taking Thelen, but are confident in Danny Richmond, and go for the skilled Olesz instead.

9.Anaheim Mighty Ducks-A.J. Thelen
-Ducks fans get deja-vu when they see the player they want be one pick away, and then finally fall to them.

10.Atlanta Thrashers-Andrej Meszaros
-Seeing Thelen's gone, the Thrash take the next best defenseman available in Meszaros to pair up with Coburn.

11.Los Angeles Kings-Alvaro Montoya
-The Kings show their unconfidence in Huet and Chokemanek by taking the superb American goaler.

12.Minnesota Wild-Drew Stafford
-The hometown boy falls to them, and DR makes the right move and picks him.

13.Buffalo Sabres-Alexander Radulov
-Though the Sabres need a bit of help on the blueline, they can't pass up on the skilled Radulov to go along with Vanek and Roy.

14.Edmonton Oilers-Alexandre Picard
-Lowe wastes no time picking the very skilled Picard.

15.Nashville Predators-Wojtek Wolski
-After picking 3 defensemen in their top 4 picks last year, and defensive forwards in drafts before that, they take the skilled Wolski.

16.New York Islanders-Kyle Chipchura
-Milbury takes a while in picking Chipchura, only because he pinches himself too hard thinking Chipchura falling to him is a dream. Then hurries to complete the pick.

17.St.Louis Blues-Boris Valabik
-To go along with last year's pick of skilled defenseman Belle, they take the hard-hitting Valabik, who they think will be like their own Chris Pronger, or Zdeno Chara.

18.Montreal Canadiens-Lauri Korpikoski
-It's a toss up between Korpikoski and Nokelainen for Gainey, but he goes with the more offensively skilled Korpikoski over the two-way Nokelainen.

19.Calgary Flames-Petteri Nokelainen
-Knowing his two-way style fits right into his system, Sutter wastes no time picking the other Finn, Nokelainen.

20.Dallas Stars-Dave Bolland
-Ranked No.8 among NA skaters, Dallas quickly takes the two-way Bolland.

21.Colordo Avalanche-Jakub Sindel
-Lacroix takes the skilled Euro center, praying he will someday replace the soon-to-be departed Forsberg.

22.New Jersey Devils-Wes O'Neill
-Though they have Paul Martin, Louie takes the project O'Neill, hoping Big Bird can help him with his hockey sense.

23.Ottawa Senators-Enver Lisin
-Fitting right into Ottawa's speedy system, Muck takes the very speedy Lisin.

24.New York Rangers-Kirill Lyamin
-With the offensive styles of Tyutin and Pock, Sather takes the hard-hitting blueliner.

25.Edmonton Oilers-Devan Dubnyk
-With Schwarz and Montoya gone at 14th overall, Lowe felt Dubnyk would fall to his next pick and picked Picard instead. He was right, and picks the Alberta-born Dubnyk.

26.Vancouver Canucks-Ladislav Smid
-With O'Neill gone, Vancouver makes the steal of the draft by taking the offensive Smid.

27.Washington Capitals-Mike Green
-Having a stockpile of forwards, McPhee takes the once high-ranked Green to join the likes of Yonkman and Eminger.

28.San Jose Sharks-Roman Voloshenko
-With a solid d-core, and goalie depth that resulted in Vezina nominee Kiprusoff to be traded, they take the very skilled Belarussan.

29.Washington Capitals-Jeff Shultz
-Not done picking defensemen yet, they take the skilled Shultz, to join a solid future core of Eminger, Yonkman, and fellow 2004 first rounder Green.

30.Tampa Bay Lightning-Cory Schneider
-Knowing the Bulin wall won't be around forever, the Bolts take their goalie of the future in Schneider.

To end the finale, flame away.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Hercules Rockefeller said:
20.Dallas Stars-Dave Bolland
-Ranked No.8 among NA skaters, Dallas quickly takes the two-way Bolland.

Dont think the Stars exactly need another 2-way player.

thestonedkoala

Dallas needs defensemen and I think Phoenix could use a forward before a goaltender. LeVeanue is good.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:
Dallas needs defensemen and I think Phoenix could use a forward before a goaltender. LeVeanue is good.

I forgot all about LeNeveu. I just heard the "Phoenix wants a goalie" talk, and went from there.

I also figure Dallas likes Daley alot, so they took a forward. It was my hardest choice, though, as I couldn't decide for a bit whether they took Bolland or O'Neill. The Bolland to Dallas hype I've heard influenced my decision.

thestonedkoala

But that's just rumours, if the Pens said they were looking at a goalie would you believe it? Phoenix is exploring all the options at the position.

Dallas probably likes Daley but that still doesnt' help they have little to no defensemen left in the cupboard.

Divine Wind

As an Oiler fan, i would be happy with that. Acquire a sniper and fill our goaltending needs for the future with JDD/Dubnyk. :handclap:

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
As a Ranger fan, I would pleased with that outcome. However, if Olesz is available at #6, I would rather have him than Ladd. And, Smid is more likely to be the pick at #24, if available. The Rangers, from my understanding, have an interest in trading up for Smid.

tripledekehockey

Apr 1, 2004
pittsburgh pa
i think you hit the caps right on the money with your draft -- AO with the first pick and then 2 dmen with the 27th and 29th pick. Getting Green and Schultz would be a huge boost to their depth at the blue line.

There will still be a lot of decent forwards available when they pick 33rd, although the pens and hawks will pick forwards ahead of them

nice job

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
thestonedkoala said:
Dallas probably likes Daley but that still doesnt' help they have little to no defensemen left in the cupboard.

Believe me we love Daley here, but as you said, we have almost nothing in the way of defensive prospects. Unless an almost sure-fire #1 center falls to us, I cant see us not taking a d-man, IMO.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I'd pretty amazed if Muckler passed up on both Smid and Green for Lisin. Considering the forwards on the Sens roster and that their best prospects (goalies aside) are all forwards, at least one of them playing an almost identical game to Lisin (Mirnov)....I would be amazed if they passed on those two defencemen.

It's a good mock in general though. I like how your first 12 picks basically all fall perfectly into place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad