The demise of the Maple Leafs: Top Ten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Ogopogo said:
The Leafs appear to be a well run organization?

With the moves Ferguson has made, it seems they are doing exactly what the 1968 edition was doing. I don't see a Leafs Cup parade coming any time soon.

Still, they've been close to another trip to the final and much of their roster still has some jam. Sundin, McCabe, Kaberle, Tucker, Klee is a nice nucleus and Stajan and a few others could be role players.

They need some grit on the blueline and a top flight G if Belfour is done, but there's a lot to like here. Doesn't give me any joy in saying it, I hate the Leafs and am very tired of the "all the ufa's want to play in Toronto" crap. However, Toronto isn't hell either and their recent success probably does make them an attractive destination for a ufa.

They need to choose wisely, but Toronto can use the new cba to extend their window of opportunity imo (while bringing along the Stajan's and the Colo-whatever his name is).

jmo

albathegreat*

Ogopogo said:
John Ferguson as GM must be on a list of why the Leafs suck.

The senior citizens that he added at the trade deadline were hilarious. How this guy still has a job is a complete mystery. I guess the President of the club is dumber than the GM.

So, how'd your team do?

MacDaddy TLC*

1. Bastarllard buying the franchise

2. The Selling off of their minor league affiliates after expansion as a cost cutting venture. Every ****ing team in the league was collecting affiliates to have more of a talent pool and hoping for diamonds to emerge from the coal, but the jackass Ballard sold their affiliates!

3. The trading of Lanny McDonald: This is what ripped the heart and soul out of a franchise that just needed some second line help to contend for the cup

4. Dave Keon, among other jumping to the WHA. Ballard didn't take the threat seriously and insulted Keon. A wound that is still open, despite many attempts to heal.

5. The trading of Darryl Sittler He went from like a son to locker room cancer in Ballard's eyes. In reality he was the white sheep of a black franchise.

6. Failure to hire scouts. Seriously, every team in the league was expanding their scouting division and were scouring Europe in attempts to find talent in the diluted NHL of the 80s. How did the Leafs respond? One ****ing Scout! Johnny Bower. The guy had glasses that you could drink a 2L coke out of and his scouting budget apparently only got him as far as Belleville (1989 3 first rounders: Thornton, Bancroft, and Pearson--- All from Belleville!

7. The Martin Cruze suicide. Not completely hockey related, but the biggest black mark on the franchise.

8. The firing of Roger Neilson. An innovative coach that had the support of the players--- Oh hell yeah he had to go! /sarcasm off!

9. Trading Bernie Parent and losing Gerry Cheevers for nothing!

10(tie). John Kordic's tenure. This should be a shared black mark for Toronto and Montreal who both did nothing to save him from his self destructive demise.

10(tie). Ballard living to 90.

MacDaddy TLC*

Lowetide said:
Still, they've been close to another trip to the final and much of their roster still has some jam. Sundin, McCabe, Kaberle, Tucker, Klee is a nice nucleus and Stajan and a few others could be role players.

They need some grit on the blueline and a top flight G if Belfour is done, but there's a lot to like here. Doesn't give me any joy in saying it, I hate the Leafs and am very tired of the "all the ufa's want to play in Toronto" crap. However, Toronto isn't hell either and their recent success probably does make them an attractive destination for a ufa.

They need to choose wisely, but Toronto can use the new cba to extend their window of opportunity imo (while bringing along the Stajan's and the Colo-whatever his name is).

jmo
The Leafs WILL win a cup by 2010, thanks to this CBA.

Ogopogo*

Almothegreat said:
So, how'd your team do?

My team did great, considering they had 1/2 the money that Ferguson had. We picked up Nedved at the deadline. Francis? Leetch? Talking Johansson out of retirement? That is plain stupidity.

albathegreat*

Ogopogo said:
My team did great, considering they had 1/2 the money that Ferguson had. We picked up Nedved at the deadline. Francis? Leetch? Talking Johansson out of retirement? That is plain stupidity.

Since when is not making the playoffs great? Nedved is already gone.

Ogopogo*

Almothegreat said:
Since when is not making the playoffs great? Nedved is already gone.

In Edmonton, we have some intelligent management. Now that the financial playing field is equal, the Oilers will be Cup contenders quickly. Perhaps this year.

The Leafs will never make a serious run with Ferguson runnning the show. He is a fool.

albathegreat*

Ogopogo said:
In Edmonton, we have some intelligent management. Now that the financial playing field is equal, the Oilers will be Cup contenders quickly. Perhaps this year.

The Leafs will never make a serious run with Ferguson runnning the show. He is a fool.

:clap:

I think in 03-04 when beating the Ottawa Senators and actually getting out of the first round proved something, Ottawa is a good hockey club, I cant see a fool doing that with anyother team.

Ogopogo*

Almothegreat said:
:clap:

I think in 03-04 when beating the Ottawa Senators and actually getting out of the first round proved something, Ottawa is a good hockey club, I cant see a fool doing that with anyother team.

Honestly, if he was intelligent and actually made some smart moves, the Leafs would have won the cup.

Give me Ferguson's job and I WILL bring a cup to Toronto in 3 years max. Likely sooner.

albathegreat*

Ogopogo said:
Honestly, if he was intelligent and actually made some smart moves, the Leafs would have won the cup.

Give me Ferguson's job and I WILL bring a cup to Toronto in 3 years max. Likely sooner.

How wasn't bringing in Leetch to try and win the cup a smart move?

They didnt get rid of anyone on their roster, they traded Imonnen sp? who had never played in an NHL game, and a 1st round pick who may have turned out to be a bust?

Ogopogo*

Almothegreat said:
How wasn't bringing in Leetch to try and win the cup a smart move?

They didnt get rid of anyone on their roster, they traded Imonnen sp? who had never played in an NHL game, and a 1st round pick who may have turned out to be a bust?

The team needs an overhaul. It is built much like most Leaf teams have been over the past 15 years and that never means winning a Cup.

Leetch was a decent move but, they need to really rethink their forwards. The age of most of the team is ridiculous. I would move all of the over 35s immediately.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Ogopogo said:

Don't be delusional.

The Oilers do not have anything but average management. Your group of forwards is young, but mediocre. Your defense is nothing to brag about. You have no starting goalie.

Ogopogo said:
The age of most of the team is ridiculous. I would move all of the over 35s immediately.

How does this constitute smart management when you're determining the worth of a player based on his age alone?

The age of the Leafs may be 'ridculous' to you, but our collection of old forwards are superior to you mediocre youth.

Just consider the fact that Joe Nieuwendyk scored one goal less than Ryan Smyth in about 20 less games in 2004, and at the age of 38, he would have led the Oilers in scoring with 64 points had he played a full season.

Just because the Oilers are younger doesn't make a better bet to win the cup than Toronto.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Ogopogo said:

What were these "intelligent...smart moves" he should have made? bring in Jim Carrey?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
ACC1224 said:
What were these "intelligent...smart moves" he should have made? bring in Jim Carrey?

Nah, we should have been trading Mats Sundin away for Jochen Hecht and mid round draft picks and signing Ty Conklin to replace Ed Belfour.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Stephen said:
Nah, we should have been trading Mats Sundin away for Jochen Hecht and mid round draft picks and signing Ty Conklin to replace Ed Belfour.

COnsider yourselves lucky that in the last cba you didn't see your management handcuffed into having to do exactly that ;)

This is the history forum, time to stop the barbs back and forth, lads :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->