The Decline of Alexandre Daigle

El Cohiba

Jul 3, 2011
under the sunshine
After watching a few old TSN clips on YouTube about the early days of the Ottawa Senators and looking at stats, it is evident that the team's we're built around Daigle and Yashin. Daigle was viewed as the franchise's cornerstone and initially delivered (51 points as an 18 year old rookie, 37 in 47 games during the lockout year.)

Suddenly, his play falls off of a cliff in 95-96, as he drops to 17 pts in 50 games. He is no longer viewed as a franchise player, and aside from a decent showing the following season his career is effectively over. What caused this major dip in performance between his first two seasons and his third? Injuries do not seem to be a factor, so I don't understand how a young player who put up good numbers over his first 100+ games can fall off so drastically. Was Daigle still viewed as a franchise player going into his "off" year? (95-96). Or was he sidelined by this point and a lack of ice time contributed to his poor performance?

whatname

Jan 29, 2012
I believe he broke his arm when he slid into the goal post. Besides that, he was just not interested in hockey. He even admitted that. His head was elsewhere, e.g. he was dating Pamela Anderson. The guy was a bonehead too. Joked about having a bomb on a plane, which subsequently resulted in him not being allowed on the flight. He also once had to use someone else's skates for a game because he overbaked his skates.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Daigle was viewed as the franchise's cornerstone and initially delivered (51 points as an 18 year old rookie, 37 in 47 games during the lockout year.)
He actually scored 22 points in his first 19 games, and thereafter 29 in 65.

(Managed to go -130 in those first 3.5 seasons in Ottawa....)

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
He just wasn't that good.His game didn't translate that well to the NHL.He dated Pamela Anderson.For those of us old enough to remember the symbol she represented, this is actually a pretty big accomplishment.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I remember him being traded in 1998, you would think a #1 overall pick who was still just 22 would be highly revered, but he wasn't. I just can't think of the irrelevance a player drafted 1st overall had at such a young age before other than him. Lafleur took until his 4th year to bust out, but it was nothing like Daigle. He was fast, but had hands of stone. Didn't have the hockey sense I never found. Of course we all know about his lack of dedication.

Just look at the value he got back for his trades. Not bad for the first trade, but very little afterwards.

I think Berard was a bit of the same way, but not quite. It wasn't a shock when the Islanders traded him to the Leafs. The idea is that he was on his way down even before the Hossa high stick.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
will try be as a polite as I can

1) Daigle had not heart
2) Money went to his head
3) WIth money came bad friends

also DECLINE

Decline usually means he had a few good seasons--DAgile had one

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Here is a very telling interview, recent March 26,2017, with Alexandre Daigle, conducted in French by TVA.

Most telling is his reaction after reaching 50 goals in Midget AAA which injstead of being cause for celebration seems to have started the disconnect with hockey.

Also interesting are his comments about journalists in general and the lack of guidance players receive moving thru the amateur ranks.

Alexandre Daigle à cœur ouvert - TVA Sports

Reactions: Fixxer and Killion

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I remember him being traded in 1998, you would think a #1 overall pick who was still just 22 would be highly revered, but he wasn't. I just can't think of the irrelevance a player drafted 1st overall had at such a young age before other than him.

an interesting coincidence:

Quebec Nordiques at Ottawa Senators Box Score — October 6, 1993

QUE-1994.png
Quebec Nordiques
0-0-1

OTT-1994.png
Ottawa Senators
0-0-1
October 6, 1993
Arena: Civic Centre Arena

PlayerGAPTS+/-PIMEVPPSHGWSS%
Alexandre Daigle02210000030.0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Nail Yakupov
Position: RW • Shoots: Left
5-11, 195lb (180cm, 88kg)
Team: Colorado Avalanche
Born: October 6, 1993 (Age: 24-087d) in Nizhnekamsk, Russian Federation ru
Draft: Edmonton, 1st round (1st overall), 2012 NHL Entry

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
He just wasn't that good.His game didn't translate that well to the NHL.He dated Pamela Anderson.For those of us old enough to remember the symbol she represented, this is actually a pretty big accomplishment.

Unfortunately, as a huge Motley Crue fan and 80's metalhead who had a giant Pamela Anderson poster above his bed as a teenager, I know all too well about the symbol she represented. Lol. Tommy Lee, Vince Neil and Brett Micheals really tainted any bedtime fantasies I would have.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008

QUE-1994.png
Quebec Nordiques
0-0-1

OTT-1994.png
Ottawa Senators
0-0-1
October 6, 1993

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Nail Yakupov

Nice. Quite the coincidence.

Reactions: Fixxer

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

QUE-1994.png
Quebec Nordiques
0-0-1

OTT-1994.png
Ottawa Senators
0-0-1
October 6, 1993

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Nail Yakupov

Wow. Yeah pretty much.

If anyone wonders why they gave up on Daigle so easy just remember that Yakupov is the same age as Daigle was when everyone just figured he was finished. I don't think unless lightning strikes anything will change about Yakupov.

whatname

Jan 29, 2012
Erik Johnson was another one that was given up on by his draft team at the age of 22. With Johnson, there were still people hoping for him breaking out, but I think most knew that he was at best on the second pairing

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
There was also Joe Murphy who seemed pretty irrelevant at age 22. Sure, he carved out a decent career after he got traded from Detroit but it didn't seem that way earlier on.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
He just wasn't that good.His game didn't translate that well to the NHL.

Actually, I think he really was "that good". He had greatness in him talent wise. His going first overall was no mirage. He really was just not into hockey. His god-given talents should have been given to someone who loved to play the game.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I believe he broke his arm when he slid into the goal post. Besides that, he was just not interested in hockey. He even admitted that. His head was elsewhere, e.g. he was dating Pamela Anderson. The guy was a bonehead too. Joked about having a bomb on a plane, which subsequently resulted in him not being allowed on the flight. He also once had to use someone else's skates for a game because he overbaked his skates.

I recalled he tried out for an acting career or modeling career forgot what it was.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Ottawa didn't have a leadership group. They handed the responsibility of the team over to 18 and 19 years olds. It went badly, as expected.

Daigle was drafted to be a playmaker with excellent speed. He was was handed a huge contract. He did ok in his first season, but was overshadowed by Yashin on his own team and Jason Arnott from his own draft. He received a lot of criticism in the media for this season.

His second season may have arguably been his best, posting similar numbers to Kariya (a relatively similar talent that was drafted a few spots after him). He did show flashes of playmaking prowess in his first few seasons, setting up the likes of Gaudreau, Drury and other pluggers.

The summer before that disastrous 3rd season, he repeatedly told the media that he wanted to score 50 goals. He had the shot of an 11 year old girl at that point... somebody should have probably pointed that out. There wasn't any real indication that Daigle worked on anything over the summer. Meanwhile, CBC did an interview with formerly weak shooting Kariya (who also had a team full of pluggers to waste his playmaking talents on). Kariya spent the summer getting stronger and improving his shot. They interviewed him in front of his parents garage door that he had spent the entire summer pounding dents into. During the season, Daigle started trying to get open for shots in the hashmarks like he was Brett Hull. He took a beating doing this and was generally more of a puck hog otherwise too. When Jacques Martin was hired, he didn't see a playmaker with speed, he saw a completely ineffective sniper. Jacques Martin started getting him to use his outside speed for breakaways and rebounds. That's how Jamie Macoun(?) pushed him into the net to mercifully end that season.

In the summer before Season 4, Daigle apparently worked out a tonne. He came in some 15-20 pounds heavier and was clearly a lot bigger and stronger. He continued to follow Jacques Martin's advice about driving the net using his speed and he scored 26 goals (his career high).

He came into the league with huge expectations, no leadership and changed his offensive style 3 times.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
I always felt that as much as Daigle was overhyped/overmarketed, that there was still talent and skill, he'd show glimpses of it, albeit too briefly.
I agree with trentmcleary in that Daigle really wasn't supported with the ideal leadership, and mentorship I'd like to add. Lack of quality vets on the Sens roster put far too much pressure on kids facing high expectations, causing a losing atmosphere.
In terms of Daigle, he was the typical QMJHL player; small, offensively gifted, good skater, soft in the corners, weak defensive game. I think he was born 10 years too late, or ten years too soon, his style could've benefited more in a different era, maybe.

El Cohiba

Jul 3, 2011
under the sunshine
Here is a very telling interview, recent March 26,2017, with Alexandre Daigle, conducted in French by TVA.

Most telling is his reaction after reaching 50 goals in Midget AAA which injstead of being cause for celebration seems to have started the disconnect with hockey.

Also interesting are his comments about journalists in general and the lack of guidance players receive moving thru the amateur ranks.

Alexandre Daigle à cœur ouvert - TVA Sports

Very emotional video, you can see it as he speaks. I don't speak French unfortunately; what is he saying?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
After watching a few old TSN clips on YouTube about the early days of the Ottawa Senators and looking at stats, it is evident that the team's we're built around Daigle and Yashin. Daigle was viewed as the franchise's cornerstone and initially delivered (51 points as an 18 year old rookie, 37 in 47 games during the lockout year.)

Suddenly, his play falls off of a cliff in 95-96, as he drops to 17 pts in 50 games. He is no longer viewed as a franchise player, and aside from a decent showing the following season his career is effectively over. What caused this major dip in performance between his first two seasons and his third? Injuries do not seem to be a factor, so I don't understand how a young player who put up good numbers over his first 100+ games can fall off so drastically. Was Daigle still viewed as a franchise player going into his "off" year? (95-96). Or was he sidelined by this point and a lack of ice time contributed to his poor performance?

I can not go into details with getting into trouble

part of his problem was who he surrounded himself with and the advice he took and the advice he ignored.

When he moved to LA to try to be a movie producer--he lost a lot of money

I remember when he was traded to the Oilers and made it clear he would not report (this was after his comback and the oilers flipped him to Tampa for Selivanov I think)

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Decline?

I never thought he would make it. I was born in 1969and ain't gonna spend another second on this to figure out at what age I thought he was a loser.

OUT.

Reactions: Killion

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Just seems like he had a lack of mental toughness to grind it out and carve out his place as a superstar, didn't have the support and environment and had certain holes in his game that were exposed at the NHL level and he never worked on a response. I don't know about this "didn't like hockey" stuff. Maybe he didn't like the price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad