The day the Jets died

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Two part series from Randy Turner of the Winnipeg Free Press this weekend. Nothing really new, but good read for anyone interested in the history of the Jets. Part 2 is business oriented so feel free to move it as it was a toss up.

Part One: Sudden, painful death
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/story/3929760p-4541381c.html

The Day the Jets Died - Part 2: Big-league dreams, small-town fears
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/story/3930375p-4541809c.html

'PEOPLE SAY HOCKEY IS A RELIGION. IT'S BIGGER THAN THAT.'
--Sports psychologist Cal Botterill

Hartford HockeyFan

Apr 14, 2006
I still say after all of these years the winnipeg jets and the quebec nordiques should never had moved.i still cant understand why the NHL let this happen.

I absolutely agree. I enjoyed the Jets and Nordiques and think the NHL made a huge mistake in letting them move. I am a supporter of both teams regaining their teams.

I hope the Jets and Nords come back someday.

Bring back the Jets and Nords!!!

Hartford HockeyFan

Apr 14, 2006
Not likely. I think the chances of the Jets and Nords returning are better than the whalers ever coming back. I am not a fan of the whalers nor do I wish the NHL to return to Hartford. I am a hockey supporter in terms of the AHL.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Not likely. I think the chances of the Jets and Nords returning are better than the whalers ever coming back. I am not a fan of the whalers nor do I wish the NHL to return to Hartford. I am a hockey supporter in terms of the AHL.

Can I ask why you don't like the Whalers?

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Two part series from Randy Turner of the Winnipeg Free Press this weekend. Nothing really new, but good read for anyone interested in the history of the Jets. Part 2 is business oriented so feel free to move it as it was a toss up.

Part One: Sudden, painful death
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/story/3929760p-4541381c.html

The Day the Jets Died - Part 2: Big-league dreams, small-town fears
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/story/3930375p-4541809c.html

'PEOPLE SAY HOCKEY IS A RELIGION. IT'S BIGGER THAN THAT.'
--Sports psychologist Cal Botterill

That musta been a hard day for you hawker. I can tell you that had the OIlers pulled out of town in the Houston debacle of circa 95, I wouldn't be watching NHL hockey in this millenium.

South Florida Canuck

Biggest Canucks Superfan in South Florida
Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
I still say after all of these years the winnipeg jets and the quebec nordiques should never had moved.i still cant understand why the NHL let this happen.

It was because of the weak Canadian dollar and those towns inabilities to build new arenas. As much flack as Bettman gets for allowing teams to relocate, had these towns stepped up to the plate and built new barns, these teams would not have moved. Even if cities like Miami, Raliegh, Phoenix, and Tampa might not have hockey ingrained in the culture of the people living there. It is still much more economically viable to have teams in those towns than it is in places like Winnipeg and Quebec City, and that is what it all boils down to.

Raoul Duke*

It was a depressing era for hockey.

Edmonton almost lost the Oilers to Houston - the Flames almost moved from Calgary as well.

I can't imagine an NHL with only teams in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto for Canada (possibly Ottawa, but who knows?)

Bring back the JETS... And was there a bigger crime than when Quebec City supported a more often than not mediocre to last place team, then they started to build up... and moved to Colorado only to win the Stanley Cup in their first year? That had to be the biggest kick in the face to any fan in sports.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
And was there a bigger crime than when Quebec City supported a more often than not mediocre to last place team, then they started to build up... and moved to Colorado only to win the Stanley Cup in their first year? That had to be the biggest kick in the face to any fan in sports.

Let's start with Graham James and go from there, alright?

People use the word "crime" around here all too easily. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad