The Danish prospects

bpoulsen

Apr 20, 2006
Glostrup
I thought I would do a little run-through of our drafted prospects, and two with draft potential.

Frans Nielsen, 22 years old, born April 24th 1984 (183cm 84kg / 6'0 185lbs)
Drafted by New York Islanders 87th overall (3rd round) in the 2002 draft.
Signed a 2 year contract with New York Islanders on May 15th 2006.

Spent last year in SEL playing for Timraa IK. He was 4th in scoring for Timraa only 4 points behind number 1 with 5 goals and 13 assists for 18 points in 50 games.

Is a solid playmaker, slick hands, has a good shot and excellent speed. Does well at holding the puck and keeping opponents away. Has an incredible work ethic.

Peter Regin, 20 years old, born April 16th 1986 (186cm 85kg / 6'1 187lbs)
Drafted by Ottawa Senators 87th overall (3rd round) in the 2004 draft.

Spent last year in Timraa IK in the SEL, his first season outside Denmark. Finished with 4 goals and 7 assists for 11 points in 44 games which was good enough for 11th best on the team.

Joined Timraa's Under 20 junior team for the playoffs and scored 2 goals and 1 assist in 4 games, which was best on the team.

Another solid playmaker with great eyes. Sees the game well with good hands and speed. His game style reminds me a bit of Frans Nielsen. Has impressed me quite a bit during the World Championships.

Jannik Hansen, 20 years old, born March 15th 1986 (186cm 93kg / 6'1 205lbs)
Drafted by Vancouver Canucks 287th overall (9th round) in the 2004 draft.

Spent last year with Portland Winter Hawks in the Western Hockey League, getting 24 goals and 40 assists for 64 points in 64 games. He was the top scoring rookie and put him 2nd in scoring in Portland.

In 12 playoff games, Jannik scored 7 goals and 6 assists for 13 points in 12 games. In the 7th game between Portland and Seattle, Hansen got 1 goal and 3 assists, being in on all of Portlands 4 goals.

Has developed quite a bit during this past year in Portland, namely gained quite a few pounds, bulking him up a bit. Has adjusted quickly to the smaller rinks and more physical style of play in North America, and got involved in 5 fights where he dominated 3 of them and two pretty scraps. Has an incredible shot, is a very fast skater and throws the body quite well.

Will most likely be signing a pro contract with Vancouver during the summer and play for Manitoba Moose next year.

Morten Madsen, Just turned 19 on January 16th (189cm 86kg / 6'2, 190lbs)
Drafted by Minnesota Wild 122nd overall (4th round) of the 2005 draft.

Spent last year with Frölunda in the Swedish Junior league where he was one of the top snipers in the league and team.

Finished the regular season with 6 goals and 20 assists for 26 points in 25 games which was good enough for 9th overall in the league and 4th overall on the team.

In the Junior SuperElite 8 (4 best teams from north and south) he notched 4 goals and 12 assists for 16 points in 11 games which was tied for first among all 8 teams and number 1 on his team.

In the playoffs he scored 5 goals and 3 assists for 8 points in 7 games.

Haven't seem him play much, but did quite well in the World Championships. Has good speed and good size for his age.

Has recently said that he wants to go to one of the Canadian junior hockey leagues next year.

Kirill Starkov, turned 19 on March 31st (184cm 86kg / 6'0 190lbs)
Drafted by Columbus Blue Jackets 189th overall (6th round) in the 2005 draft.

Spent last year in Frölunda where he played most of the time in the SEL but started the season in the Swedish Junior league.

He scored 4 goals and 8 assists for 12 points in 9 games in the junior league.
He scored 1 goal and got 2 assists in 34 games in the SEL.

Is Russian born, but has spent all of his life in Denmark and wants to become a danish citizen. Really wants to play for Denmark. Haven't seen him play, so I can't really tell much about him. Impressed a lot during last year's camp in Columbus and was cut from the roster late in the camp.

Phillip Larsen, 16 years old, born December 7th 1989 (180cm 76kg / 5'11 168lbs)
Undrafted

Spent last year in Rögle in Sweden, where he got ice time in 13 games in the AllSvenskan. He played along side Swedish National team captain Kenny Johnsson.
He also played in the Swedish Under 20 junior league, where he scored a goal and 2 assists in 13 games.

Went to the Under 18 World Championships in Division 1 with Denmark, and scored 3 goals and got 3 assists in 5 games.

I haven't seen him play but has a ton of potential. Got his first game in Allsvenskan at the age of 15!

He could very well become the first danish defensemen to get drafted.

Patrick Galbraith, 20 years old, born March 11th 1986 (184cm 72kg / 6'0 159lbs)
Undrafted

Spent last year with SoenderjyskE in the Danish elite league and played an important role in winning the National Championship.

Despite being a backup goaltender he got ice time in 17 games (in a 36 game season) playing 1060 minutes, getting 11 wins and 6 losses with a save percentage of 0.910% and a GAA of 2.43 and 2 shutouts.

Played with Denmark at the Under 20 World Chamionship in Division 1, playing 2 of 5 games, posting a save percentage of 0.898% and a GAA of 2.5.

Has signed a 4 year agreement with St. Cloud State University in Minnesota starting next year and has drawn the attention of Los Angeles Kings.

Was the 3rd goalie on the Danish squad at the World Championship team and scouts from LA Kings went to have a look at the young goalie at one of Team Denmark's practices.

If you've heard about somebody and wants some infomation, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Last edited:

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Nice.. That was a good read.. Thanks.. It's great to see Danish players getting recognised and it won't be long till we see these players in the NHL.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Ill comment a few of them since ive seen them play a lot.

Mikkel Bödker. Amazing skater, great technique and overall good hockeysense.. he just flies on the ice. Can beat players 1on1. Great potential as a two-way NHL-player in the future. I don´t see him being a great scorer because i think he lacks the finishing ability so far. If he continues to develop he might be the most interesting dane there is.

Morten Madsen. Great skater as well.. good technique and nice passing game. He can handle the physical aspect of the game as well... but is imo a bit too inconsistent. He hasn´t showed up every night in Frölunda. Great potential as well especially in box play.

Kirill Starkov. Amazing technique and stickhandling. Russian-style who really can circle in the corners. Has improved his skating and passing-game. Also needs to be a bit more consistent, and he should let go of the puck a little bit more. Still i rank him ahead of Madsen.

Philip Larsen. Smart defenseman who has a very good hockeysense. Only seen him once in J20 SuperElit though, but he did well. Took smart decisions in his own zone and had an overall good game. Might be a little bit overrated though, as he got the chance to play in Allsvenskan as 15-year old. That sounds great yes, but Rögles defenseman among juniors are horrible. He would not have gotten that chance in another team.

bpoulsen

Apr 20, 2006
Glostrup
You're right about Phillip not getting that chance on another team, but still... He can't be a complete Pejorative Slur if they put him on the ice..

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
Hansen is a bad ***. His transformation over the course of this past year from perimeter player to a guy willing to go through traffic was great to watch. I expect some nice contribution to the Moose this year if he's given the chance.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:
Hansen will play on our top 2 lines someday IMO.

Thing is if he his offensive game wasn't good enough he can play on the third line, because he has very good defensive skills, and he's gritty.

bpoulsen

Apr 20, 2006
Glostrup
Coming from the same city as Hansen, I've watched him develop over the last couple of seasons in the Danish league, and watched just about every game he played in the WHL. I've never doubted his willingness to play gritty/physically... But truth be told, I had not expected him to do so well in that department...

He has gained about 15 pounds during the year in Portland and is pretty dang big compared to right before he left for Portland last year. Watched him play (live) against Latvia a week before the WC started. He was throwing some big hits... One giving him a boarding penalty he didn't agree with hehe. He did the same against Canada which was a very exciting thing to see because danish players tend to turn away and follow the puck instead of throwing the body.

As to Jannik Hansen going to Manitoba (Vancouver) next year, as soon as I have some news about it I'll pass it on to this board for sure..

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
As long as Jannik Hansen is signed and healthy by the time training camp roles around, I wouldn't be shocked if he is the first Dane to suit up in an NHL exibition game.. depending of course on whether or not Frans Nielsen's NY Islanders play their first exibition game after Vancouver does.

I gotta ask about Viatcheslav Trukhno, I remember reading he also wanted to get Danish citizenship but couldn't in time, so ended up laying for Russia's junior team instead. Is it still possible he could play for Denmark if he gets citizenship?

bpoulsen

Apr 20, 2006
Glostrup
Peter Lars - I completely forgot about Jesper Duus .....

Tb0ne - Slava Trukhno is proud to be Russian and wants to stay Russian. But yes he has spent most of his life in Denmark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad