The Cycling Thread

Negative Split

Jan 23, 2011
I have a question. what exactly should you do when taking a corner with a good amount of speed? I know to flex out the inside leg so its pointing outwards but should you shift your body as well? and how much?

I took a corner today at about 35km/h and decided to sit up on the bike and lean into the turn with my body and my back tire skidded like crazy and I thought I was going to wipe out. obviously I was doing something wrong :laugh:.

its hard to tell what the pros do from watching because they take corners so fast and the cameras dont really give you an idea what they are doing with their body except for pointing the inside leg out, and the bike is angled towards the ground.

Usually when I corner I have my inside leg just past the top of the pedal stroke, and my outer leg is toward the bottom of the pedal stroke. Sometimes I have both legs near the same level. The knee of the inside leg should be pointing into the corner. DON'T BRAKE! You probably shouldn't sit up during the turn, either, as I'd have to guess that's why you slid out. Try to keep your center of gravity as low as possible. I try to keep my weight balanced on the pedals and lean into the turn.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Could anyone compile a list of the Tours and Classics that are a good watch over the course of the year?

I'll just give my take at this even though someone else has answered.

Omloop het nieuwsblad and Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne, both has some cobbles, nieuwsblad more so than Kuurne, are usual very entertaining usually first weekend of March. nieuwsblad may sometimes be refered to as Het Volk since that is it's old name from before they sold the rights.

Paris-Nice, a one week stage race which usually start a week after the two mentioned above. Has a bit of everything from flat stages to medium mountains stages.

Milano-San Remo is a must see, mid-late March, though remember that it's on a Saturday and not a Sunday like most classics, one of the five monuments of cycling. The monuments are the most prestige full one-day races of the year, all 5 is in this list.

Ronde Van Vlaanderen is my favourite classic of the year always very entertaining, it features a lot of cobble covered hills in Flanders, some which have percentages over 20%. Held first sunday in April. Also a monument.

Vuelta a Pais Vasco is a one week stage race starting the monday after Vlaanderen. Almost all stages are very hilly in the with profiles that are like San Sebastian, it also takes place in the same region in Spain.

Paris-Roubaix also a favourite of mine, known as 'hell of the north' and not without reason, the 250 km course usually feature around 50kms of cobble road, but they are flat unlike in Vlaanderen. A great race every year. Held a week after Vlaanderen. Also a monument.

Amstel Gold Race is a part of the Ardennes week, a week of three races held in very hilly region in Belgium and Netherlands called the Ardennes. Very great race. Held a week after Roubaix.

Fleche Wallone, also a part of the Ardennes week, held on the wednesday. It finishes on the very hard Mur de Huy, the wall of Huy in english. There is a video showing the ending earlier in this thread. Though usually not much happens before the final 2 km, but those 2 kms are some of the best in cycling.

Liege-Bastogne-Liege, the oldest classic still being raced, it closes the Ardennes week exactly one week after Amstel. Also a monument.

Giro d'Italia is in my eyes the best Grand Tour of the year, and has been for a few years, the rute and the way it has been raced has been much better than the Tour. Usually start 2nd weekend of May.

Criterium du Dauphine, held in the start of June is has racing in and around the French alps, is a good pre-tour race to see who is hot and who is not. May be referred to as Dauphine Libere since that was it's name until 2010.

Tour de France, goes with out saying, starts first weekend of July.

San Sebastian, has already been covered in this thread. Usually held in early August.

Vuelta a Espana, the third and last GT of the year, always worth a watch, but not always as picturesque in the scenery as many other races, but if you don't care about that it's a great race. Usually starts in early September.

GP de Quebec and GP de Montreal were held for the first time last year. But the organisers came up with two very great routes and the racing were very good. Defiantly worth a watch if the routes are the same.

WC is held every year is the last whole week of September, the location changes every year, this year it is held in Copenhagen where I will be watching it live. It's a very different thing to watch the WC as commercial teams don't race, but national teams do, and the team sizes aren't equal, they range from 9-1 riders if I remember correctly.

Last, but not least Giro di Lombardia is the last race important race of the season and usually mark the end of the season, it's held on the third saturday in October and is probably the most mountainous of the big classic together with San Sebastian. It's the 5th and final monument of the season.

Have I missed your favourite race? Don't worry, feel free to add it.

And last but not least. If there is live coverage of race and there is free stream, then cyclingfans will have a link to that stream. Gives you an opportunity to watch races even if cycling isn't your local channels favourite sport.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
WC is held every year is the last whole week of September, the location changes every year, this year it is held in Copenhagen where I will be watching it live. It's a very different thing to watch the WC as commercial teams don't race, but national teams do, and the team sizes aren't equal, they range from 9-1 riders if I remember correctly.

I was out on the course yesterday. It's deceptively tough, imo. While it doesn't have any big hills, it undulates constantly, making it very difficult to find a rythm.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
I was out on the course yesterday. It's deceptively tough, imo. While it doesn't have any big hills, it undulates constantly, making it very difficult to find a rythm.

Sounds very much like what Freire said after doing a few rounds on the course during the the Tour of Denmark. It's not as easy as some has said it was, but then again, there has been reports that the race was just as flat as Zolder which is far form truth. But it's still probably the flattest since Zolder. But I think it's gonna be an exiting race, it's gonna be hard to predict, cause it can end in a lot different scenarios from mass sprint to a small group coming in together or Gilbert winning solo, even though Gilbert has said he thinks the course is too easy for him to win.

KevFist

is best pony
Oct 22, 2006
Birmingham, AL
www.mk837.com
I've always been a fan of Paris-Roubaix. I've always thought it and the Fleche Wallone really make the best overall cyclists stand out. Always especially enjoyed watching Johan Museeuw race this one. that guy was a beast on the cobbles. he used three rolls of cork on his bars to dampen the vibration

Rutabaga

Apr 27, 2010
Middle of Nowhere
Interesting first week for the Vuelta.
Rodriguez was the favourite for stages that were designed just for him, and he did deliver. He got that punch that no one can fight with.
But today, he was not riding that well, and he lost 50 secs in the process. But he's still there, and its possibly just a bad day.

The light riders did suffer, Moreno struggled too, Anton was just as bad, even if the Euskaltel rider is nowhere near his top form, he's sick, and he just cant be competitive. For him, its not just a bad week, but a bad week.

Scarponi is arguably the biggest disapppointment of the day, he lost 2 mins on the best...he tried to attack, but with the wind, it probably backfired.
Brajkovic is also not as good as he can be.

On the other hand, Wiggins and Nibali are now the best candidates for the win.
The englishmen did take care of most of the effort on the final climb after seeing Rodriguez and Scarponi in trouble, helped by a surprising domestique with Froome.
He is not that far from Nibali, but he only got one true shot to put some time between him and his rivals, because on the steepest climbs, he's not likely to beat them.
Van den Broeck is still in contention, but he did lost few secs today, and he doesnt really have a clear advantage over his rivals. He's weaker in TT than Wiggins, and Nibali is better than him in the mountains...

Currently, the leader is Mollema, the Rabobank youngster was consistent until now, and he did finish second of the last mountain stage. He showed great promise when he was younger before a mononucleosis (i believe) which stopped his development, but he's looking very solid.
Kessiakoff is the other surprise, the swede is also very consistent, he did lost few seconds today, but he is showing that he could do some damage. At 31, its probably too late for a great career, though.

The stage was won by an impressive Dan Martin. Really deserved.

Classification after Stage 9 :

1. Mollema (NED/Rabobank) 37h11'17"
2. Rodriguez (SPA/Katyusha) +1"
3. Nibali (ITA/Liquigas) +9"
4. Kessiakoff (SWE/Astana) +18"
5. Van den Broeck (BEL/Omega-Pharma Lotto) +27"
6. Moreno (SPA/Katyusha) +35"
7. Fuglsang (DEN/Leopard) +37"
8. Seeldraeyers (BEL/Quickstep) +42"
9. Zubeldia (SPA/Radioshack) +42"
10. Cobo (SPA/Geox) +46"
11. Monfort (BEL/Leopard) +55"
12. Martin (IRE/Garmin) +55"
13. Wiggins (GBR/Sky) +1'
14. Froome (GBR/Sky) +1'3"
15. Nieve (SPA/Euskaltel) +1'8"
16. Bruseghin (ITA/Movistar) +1'12"
17. Pardilla (SPA/Movistar) +1'17"
18. Scarponi (ITA/Lampre) +1'54"
19. Roche (IRE/AG2R) +2'05"
20. Brajkovic (SVN/Radioshack) +2'10"
21. Menchov (RUS/Geox) +2'18"
22. Poels (NED/Vacansoleil) +2'29"
23. Sorensen (DEN/Saxo) +2'34"
24. Kruijswijk (NED/Rabobank) +2'57"
25. Moncoutie (FRA/Cofidis) +3'20"
30. Anton (SPA/Euskaltel) +4'31"

Tomorrow, ITT in Salamanca, the only long ITT of the Vuelta, as they have to ride 47km in, i guess, difficult conditions...the heat, mostly.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
So I did the World Champs course again a few times yesterday. It was pretty windy (12-15 meters per second winds), and lemme tell you, if the wind's coming in from the West, the race'll be pretty tough. The last 5 km or so are pretty exposed to a Western wind.

About 2,5 km in (of 14 total), there's a 250m climb at about 9%. I was able to stay on the big... sprocket?... going up both times, but it draws teeth. There are two 90 degree turns on the climb, and it narrows a bit, so it could well be a place where things happen.

I generally 65 kph twice, on different parts of the course - though I had a bit of a tailwind, both times.

The first impressions stand though; it's a course that doesn't really let you just grind. It's either up, down, left or right.

http://www.copenhagen2011.dk/images/elementer/20110830-1246-16.jpg

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
The mechanics of hosting a World Championship event in cycling…

The ITTs will run in the next few days, on a course that circulates through central Copenhagen (including across the Palace square). I bike through there every morning, and it was a MAZE to figure out how to get through. I can only imagine what it’s like in a car. Still, I look forward to biking home this week – I’ll be right next to the course for much of the way.

I passed 8-10 tractor-trailers with port-a-potties this morning, too, so I think we can declare Copenhagen just about ready!

The road race course is 15 km north of downtown, but astride one of the main arteries flowing to and from Copenhagen.

All told, traffic is going to be a gong show this week. But it’s going to be worth it!

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Today's the Men's Elite time trial at the World Championships.

It'll most likely be between Cancellara and Martin for the win, though weather could play a part - there may be showers during the afternoon.

I rode part of the course to work today, and it's REALLY nice. Across the palace square, through parliament, etc. There are long, flat stretches, with a few slightly challening corners/passages, but it's about as flat as a course gets. Definitely for the big/strong types like a Tony Martin.

Riding the course was a bit of a rush, tbh, even though it was at 6 am.

rafal majka

Sep 29, 2004
We're getting closer to Contador's hearing with CAS in November and it's interesting to see how much in the news clenbuterol is:

Riders at the recent Tour of Beijing were so scared of testing positive for clenbuterol that nearly the entire peloton refused to eat beef or pork during their week-long trip.

“We haven’t eaten any meat at all during our time here, because we don’t want to take a risk,” Rabobank’s Theo Bos said. “I have lost 3kg because all we’re eating is salad and soup. Everyone is worried about it.”

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/10/news/clenbuterol-bans-uneven-as-contador-hearing-looms_196486

rafal majka

Sep 29, 2004
As Geox has discontinued as a cycling sponsor, I wonder (and hope) that Saxo Bank picks up at least Menchov. Otherwise it might just be a pro tour dominated by BMC and Radioshack-Leopard.

tobo

Jun 28, 2011
don't forget the new Quick Step-Lotto team. They have a very talented team this year.

rafal majka

Sep 29, 2004
The indoor training season has pretty much started for me. I'm wondering what kind of workouts you might do on your trainers: VO2Max or Lactate Threshold or Over_Unders or 2 X 20s or something else. Myself, I find doing 2 X 20s to be very beneficial over the winter.

rafal majka

Sep 29, 2004
Very interesting development in anti-doping:

Associated Press

LONDON -- Some dietary advice for athletes at the London Olympics: Watch how much liver you eat. Too much can raise the risk of testing positive for clenbuterol.

The official advice from Britain comes after the World Anti-Doping Agency issued a warning last month about the dangers of athletes eating contaminated meat.

Clenbuterol is on WADA's list of banned substances as an anabolic agent that builds muscle and burns fat, and athletes who test positive can face bans of up to two years.

In advice based on evidence from the Food Standards Agency, U.K. Anti-Doping warns: "Athletes should be wary of consuming large quantities of liver."

Spanish cyclist Alberto Contador blamed contaminated steak from Spain after he tested positive for clenbuterol during his 2010 Tour de France victory. His case is under appeal with the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Contaminated meat was also blamed when five Mexican soccer players tested positive for clenbuterol before the Gold Cup in June. FIFA said more than 100 players at the Under-17 World Cup in Mexico also were contaminated by the substance.

The British risk assessment is based on eating bovine liver, one of the organs where the highest concentration of clenbuterol lingers.

"The FSA cannot rule out the possibility that if a large portion of liver is consumed containing clenbuterol at permitted residue limits, urine collected shortly after consumption may contain detectable levels of clenbuterol," UKAD said Thursday to The Associated Press. "This depends on many factors including the amount consumed, the timing of the urine test and the analytical methods used."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=oly&id=7380018

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
(CNN) -- Three-time Tour de France winner Alberto Contador has been stripped of his 2010 title and retroactively banned from cycling for two years following Monday's ruling by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

He could also face a fine of more than $3 million, but this will be decided at a later CAS hearing.

The Spaniard tested positive for the banned anabolic steroid clenbuterol during the sport's premier race in July 2010, and the results were revealed in September that year.

He was initially suspended for one year by the Spanish Cycling Federation after claiming that he had eaten contaminated meat, which left small amounts of the drug in his urine sample, and was then acquitted on appeal in February 2011.

However, the International Cycling Union (UCI) and the World Ant-Doping Agency (WADA) both contested the ruling, and appealed to CAS. The UCI also asked that Contador be fined at least €2.485 million.

The court's decision means that the 29-year-old will lose his race victories during 2011, including the Giro d'Italia. His ban will end on August 5 this year.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/06/sport/cycling-contador-cas-ban/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

A. Schleck and Scarponi now GT winners.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
He did indeed. This year's Vuelta was infinitely more interesting than the Tour. So much attacking by the GC guys. A bit of a shame that Froome dropped out of contention, but I supposed it would've been suspicious if he hadn't considering the Tour he put on.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
RIP Kyle Bennett

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olymp...x-cyclist-dies-single-car-162805582--oly.html

Sad news from the world of cycling, as former Olympian Kyle Bennett has died in a single-car wreck in Conroe, Texas, near Houston.

Bennett, who was 33 at the time of his death, was a three-time BMX world champion and part of the first-ever U.S. BMX Olympic team in 2008. Nicknamed "Butter" for his smooth style, which you can see in the video above, Bennett did not reach the medal round of the Beijing Olympics.

The wreck that claimed Bennett's life occurred at 2:16 a.m. on Sunday. According to the Montgomery County Police Reporter, Bennett's 2006 Toyota Tundra was traveling at a high rate of speed when it left the road and hit a ditch and an iron gate. Bennett was pronounced dead at the scene. The newspaper reported that he was not wearing a seat belt.

vsk92

Alltid IFK
Mar 31, 2011
Scotland.
American Levi Leipheimer has been fired by Omega Pharma-Quick Step after admitting doping as part of the investigation surrounding seven-times Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad