The Creation of Defensive Zone Performance

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Firstly I have to admit I am new to this section of the boards(didn’t even know it existed) but I’m glad I found out today, here’s a Star I tried putting together a long time ago but never put out there.

I always hear people(I do it all the time too) ranting on about how good a particular defensemen is on they’re favourite team and how good they are at defence in and of its self, but there is no actual way to judge a defender at defending other than an eye test watching them, but depending on who’s watching there could be bias involved on the eye test assessment. I wanted to find a way to judge Defensemen on they’re primary job to shut down scoring chances, so I came up with a way too get close to telling the story at hand inside of a Stat that I call Defenive Zone Performance(/DZP or DZP%...). Also sorry if I’m copying anything similar I did small research into a Defensive Stat and couldn’t find anything similar when making it.

Defensive Zone Performance Stat:
  • Here’s how it works
>First Step>

Corsi(Against) - Fenwick(Against) = On Ice Blocked Shots

>Next Step>

Corsi(Agaisnt)

= Block %

>Next Step>

oiGA/60(On Ice Goals Against Per 60min)

= GA/0.60

>Final Step>

Use and calculate oiSV% in final the outcome

> Block % + oiSV% - GA/0.60

= DZP

>Next Step(if you prefer percentages)>

DZP x 100 = DZP %

Anyways thanks for reading, please let me know what you think, how good(effective) or bad(flaws?) this Stat works and if there’s anything that could improve it. I really want to know what others think about it.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Is there anything to account for zone starts? A guy starting 60% percent in the offensive zone is going to have a large spread over someone that’s starting 55% in his own zone.

There is also more value in forcing a shot wide or not letting the other team cross the line unless they dump it in. Take always at center ice are also huge. The D-man that does that rules the ice. Blocked shots are not that big of a deal.

And it’s like 3 am but g/per 60 over ten is g/per 6 not g/0.6 isn’t it? So if it’s over 100 I have no idea why every 36 seconds matter.
If I block 1 out of eleven shots and my goalie lets in one goal
900 save %
9% block average
I’m not sure what goals against per 60 has to do with my blocked shot
Say it’s 3 goals every 60. And I doing .30 or.03

Is there any way to know what a good number would be?
If I stole the puck and sent my team in for a break away goal.
900 save %
Zero blocks
would I have a worse score? And why are you /2 in the end?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->