The Coyotes have been eliminated. Now what?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The value of Stepan is nowhere near the value of the No.7 pick, even if that rookie ends up a 2C like Stepan. Because Stepan carries a big cap hit but rookies don't. But.... if Raanta resigns with good price, and Stepan is a good leader in the locker room, I'm okay with that trade.
The Yotes aren't worried about the cap for another few years. The trade makes sense and I know why they did it, but I just hated loosing a top ten pick in the draft, especially for a team in a rebuild.

What we don't know is how much Stepan growing into the team has contributed in making the Yotes grow into what they are now. A team who would have made the playoffs if the season had started at Christmas.

I'll go out on a limb and say there is a connection. I know the injuries on key defencemen and Raanta most likely is the most obvious explanation, but I go out on a limb and say Stepan may have contributed massively in changing the whole team.

And notice what happened with NYR without Stepan. They fell apart.
That's the problem looking from the outside in. We have no idea what happened to make this year a disaster. Every team has injuries so I don' like using that as an excuse, but maybe we can point a finger or two a Chayka for not having a reliable back up goalie, but at the same time, you have to give Chayka credit for going out and getting Wedgewood when LD crapped the bed.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
The fact that the trade was made before the first 5 players were selected on the floor makes me feel pretty confident that Chayka had heard who both Vancouver and Colorado were taking. My guess is that he had one or both of Petterson or Makar on his list and once he knew they would not be available he made the pick available. It was a very draft floor type of trade that was done before the draft started.
We also had two 1st in 2017, 2016 and 2015. We only have one this year, and we dont even have our 2nd. We capitalized on a weaker draft after years of having three picks in the top 40.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
The Stepan trade seems to be a reaction to the realization that Strome wasn't close to being ready to be a top 6 forward. Without Strome or some other trade, the only true centers on the roster would have been Dvorak and Richardson. We needed to make that trade, even if we overpaid.

Stepan has been a stabilizing presence on the ice. I have no idea about his locker room presence. This was a good trade for us. Obviously if we keep Raanta, the trade will be considered to be a roaring success.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The Stepan trade seems to be a reaction to the realization that Strome wasn't close to being ready to be a top 6 forward. Without Strome or some other trade, the only true centers on the roster would have been Dvorak and Richardson. We needed to make that trade, even if we overpaid.

Stepan has been a stabilizing presence on the ice. I have no idea about his locker room presence. This was a good trade for us. Obviously if we keep Raanta, the trade will be considered to be a roaring success.
I guess I would agree with you. I just hated to lose that 7OA. As in most cases you have to give up to get something.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I guess I would agree with you. I just hated to lose that 7OA. As in most cases you have to give up to get something.

Yep if all the trades were as lopsided as Murphy for Hjarlmassen I doubt GM's would answer the phone when they see that AZ area code on caller ID.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I have a feeling the Stepan trade will be seen as the Raanta trade same time next year if Raanta goes back to his normal healthy ways...

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
This begs the question, Is Raanta normally healthy?

That's his NHL career injury record according to tsn=

Mar 17, 2018Missed 5 games (lower body injury).
Mar 06, 2018Lower body injury, day-to-day.
Feb 06, 2018Missed 2 games (upper body injury).
Feb 01, 2018Undisclosed, day-to-day.
Dec 05, 2017Missed 6 games (upper body injury).
Nov 29, 2017Upper body injury, injured reserve.
Nov 23, 2017Upper body injury, day-to-day.
Nov 02, 2017Missed 9 games (lower body injury).
Oct 29, 2017Lower body injury, injured reserve.
Oct 14, 2017Lower body injury, day-to-day.
Jun 23, 2017Acquired from the New York Rangers.
Apr 12, 2017Missed the last regular season game (knee injury).
Apr 09, 2017Knee injury, day-to-day.
Feb 05, 2017Missed 1 game (personal reasons).
Feb 02, 2017Personal reasons, day-to-day.
Jan 31, 2017Missed 5 games (lower body injury).
Jan 17, 2017Lower body injury, injured reserve.
May 02, 2016Signed by the New York Rangers to a two-year contract extension.
Dec 28, 2015Missed 3 games (head injury).
Dec 18, 2015Head injury, sidelined indefinitely.
Jun 27, 2015Acquired from the Chicago Blackhawks.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Antti Raanta Stats, News, Video, Bio, Highlights on TSN

This looks to me like a bit of a freak season considering that he missed 9 games in total in the previous two years.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
So, going into the offseason, would it make sense to kick the tires on Kovalchuk? Not saying he is the best or worst fit, but I do think that we should be looking at another veteran wing to shift attention away from a player like Keller or ease some of that burden. He is a right hand shot, but does he play left or right side primarily?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
So, going into the offseason, would it make sense to kick the tires on Kovalchuk? Not saying he is the best or worst fit, but I do think that we should be looking at another veteran wing to shift attention away from a player like Keller or ease some of that burden. He is a right hand shot, but does he play left or right side primarily?

Doubt ownership could afford him. What we should do is help out other teams looking to sign him by taking cap dumps or overpayed vets that ciuld be useful.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

This looks to me like a bit of a freak season considering that he missed 9 games in total in the previous two years.
The previous two seasons he was a backup, missing any games when you barely play is concernng.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
He isn't coming over from Russia for money, he wants the chance at the Cup.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Lol... Maybe there’s a ch.... No he’s staying in Russia. I don’t think any team would take him contender or not.
There will be a lineup to sign him this summer, It's an asset for cash only.

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If Kovy is willing to sign in AZ then yes, absolutely, but I doubt he is. We're not in the Cup window he's looking for.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If Kovy is willing to sign in AZ then yes, absolutely, but I doubt he is. We're not in the Cup window he's looking for.
I suspect he'd only come back to play for maybe 5-10 teams and we are NOT on that list. If he gets a NMC and can name 10 teams he will not be traded to, we would probably make that list. :)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

That wouldn't be to bad if he was a starter, but he only played in 55 games in those two years, so he missed 20% of his games because of injury.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That wouldn't be to bad if he was a starter, but he only played in 55 games in those two years, so he missed 20% of his games because of injury.
How did you arrive at the 20% figure? Wouldn't the number of games he missed just be the number of games played by the 3rd string goalie in that span?

We would have to look at NHL seasons where he was expected to be the 2nd goalie. Then we would have to look at games where neither the 1st goalie, nor Raanta played in a game in those seasons. Then we would have to look at whether this 3rd goalie played because Raanta was unable due to injury.

Even then, those numbers would be off. If you're backup is hurt, you might be more likely to just keep playing your starter, even when you'd like to rest him, as nobody really wants to start their 3rd stringer if they can help it.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Raantas injuries are concerning. Should make it easier to sign him though. He has been very good when healthy but still has to prove he can be a number 1. His contract should reflect that. Still, it will make last summer's trade a bad one if he walks.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Doubt ownership could afford him. What we should do is help out other teams looking to sign him by taking cap dumps or overpayed vets that ciuld be useful.
I want picks included with any cap dump.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I wonder what RFAs become available as teams need to maneuver to fit under the cap?

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Raantas injuries are concerning. Should make it easier to sign him though. He has been very good when healthy but still has to prove he can be a number 1. His contract should reflect that. Still, it will make last summer's trade a bad one if he walks.

He was interviewed on the radio during one of last week's games. I don't recall which, but it was probably Saturday, since I was listening and not watching. During the interview he talked about what kind of injuries he has experienced and why. He said he would tailor his off season training to address (?) strength improvement, adding he was perhaps too flexible (my words).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad