OT: The cost of building a hockey rink

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I am curious, how much does it cost to build a hockey rink similar to the Brooklyn Aviator and the Staten Island Pavilion? What's the cost of building a double-ice rink vs. a single-ice rink like that? I'm not counting real estate prices here, just the cost of building something like that. Who has any real numbers?

robwrx04

Aug 5, 2010
CT
I am curious, how much does it cost to build a hockey rink similar to the Brooklyn Aviator and the Staten Island Pavilion? What's the cost of building a double-ice rink vs. a single-ice rink like that? I'm not counting real estate prices here, just the cost of building something like that. Who has any real numbers?

I don't know the answer, but you should refine that question.

Is your price you're looking for literally just an empty building(Like a warehouse)?

If not, does it include the rink/rooms/bleachers/cooling?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
An indoor rink? I was gonna say if it was something in your backyard a buddy of mine was considering doing this. You have to go through all these permits, and such in a lot of places though.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I don't know the answer, but you should refine that question.

Is your price you're looking for literally just an empty building(Like a warehouse)?

If not, does it include the rink/rooms/bleachers/cooling?

I mean the whole thing. A rink with two locker rooms (or two rinks with four locker rooms), 3-4 rows of seating, cooling system for the ice, the tech needed to operate the place, the Zamboni, etc.

Reactions: Ola

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I mean the whole thing. A rink with two locker rooms (or two rinks with four locker rooms), 3-4 rows of seating, cooling system for the ice, the tech needed to operate the place, the Zamboni, etc.

I would say the property would cost more than building it. Then again for something like that maybe not. I wish I could give you an estimate since I was in the trade for many years, but not exactly sure.

robwrx04

Aug 5, 2010
CT

Extremely rough estimate, I'd say $4 million if needed to be over a few months, and $1 million yearly for proper cooling costs, ice maintenance, people working there, insurance, regulations, etc.)

But, generally parts of the rinks are contracted to special teams like private high schools having offices/exclusive locker rooms. Big money there.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Extremely rough estimate, I'd say $4 million if needed to be over a few months, and $1 million yearly for proper cooling costs, ice maintenance, people working there, insurance, regulations, etc.)

But, generally parts of the rinks are contracted to special teams like private high schools having offices/exclusive locker rooms. Big money there.

1. For one ice or for two?

2. How does the Aviator make a profit with such expenses?

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
New Zams run about $80k I believe, depends on how you're cooling it but compressors and glycol systems can be had around 250k.

ChipAyten

NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY
Dec 19, 2008
Lawn Guyland
From an empty lot of land (not including the price of the property) I'd say 2-4m for a bare minimum rink. Something in your back yard for the winter could be as cheap as a few hundred if you're relying on nature to freeze the ice. You can use a portable chilling system and have a semi temporary rink, that'll cost about 10k

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I work in the industrial refrigeration industry and we supply all of the refrigeration systems for the NHL and I can tell you that just the refrigeration system for the ice and the piping and the labor is probably close to 300-350k easily. Compressor = ~85k. Condenser = ~50k, etc. Are you looking to possibly put one up? I can put you in contact with a very good contractor who does this type of stuff all the time in our area I am sure.

Reactions: Ola

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I've got a couple of complexes and a fitness franchise as clients, not a hockey rink but I've got real numbers. You're looking at a minimum of $2MM as your start up costs.

If you can presell, or bulk sell the occupancy you have a good shot at a nice ROI.

One of the complexes I worked with ended up being a social initiative for local kids, giving them a good place after school and mentorship programs.

It's not a money maker, and I only service it due to the social good it does...

Very few privates or orgs will shell out $300/HR for occupancy, and the hours of occupancy will have their limits if the crowd comes in from 5-9PM plus weekends.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

You can opt to only have seating on one side to make the place smaller. Remember that from a construction point of view, the roof construction is expensive since you need really solid steel rafters since there are no pillars. Just making the building say 15 feets wider can exponentially increase the dimensions requirements for the rafters which is a significant part of the cost. Would the rink be built at a place where you can get a lot of snow?

Would advice to have 4 locker-rooms even if there only is one rink, since if there is a game two of the lockerrooms will be occupied at least 45 minutes before and 45 minutes after the slot they have booked the ice for. Maybe 3 could work if games never are back to back?

When they put up practice rinks next to a bigger rink they can make it pretty cheap, but often they piggy back of the lockerroom and cooling system of the bigger rink. My very raw estimate is that 3.5m would get you a solid building. In the long-run, the 4m building would probably be a better option. And you can scale down from 3.5m to probably 3m or less by opting for the cheapest options. I could be a little high though.

Not sure how much costs are differing between Sweden and the US, but over here I know that most smaller rinks are run for around 200-300k per year exclusive of salaries.

NYR Viper- Have it become common to export heat form the rink during the winter to nearby buildings? I know some rinks here in Sweden that gain a buck on that winter time.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Another thing, if the availability of land isn't a problem, you wouldn't gain that much by building two rinks at the same time as opposed to building one rink, run it for a few years, and then just building another rink next to it.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
New Zams run about $80k I believe, .

Think there is a pretty good market for used Zamboni's -- but don't get one that runs on gas lol! They end up leaking and every once in a while all players are sent to the hospital for a day or two...

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Depends on location and price of land. Back in 2001 2 sheets of ice with lockerrooms, snack bar, upstair viewing, pro shop etc cost around 3.8 mill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad