Speculation: The Coaching Search (Friedman: Ruff to be next HC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
He had some really good years with Washington. The failure in the playoffs is obviously concerning, but I always viewed him as a pretty good coach.

Edit: Oh wow, just saw he's 69 years old. I didn't realize he was that old. That puts a damper on my view of him.
Hey!..... I just turned 69 yrs old! LOL!

And yes, I am no longer coaching HS/Midgets either.........

Just not able to relate (or relatable) to youth that age anymore. Shit, I still listen to Yes, King Crimson, Rush, and Peter Gabriel. (Not to mention Led Zeppelin, Wishbone Ash and Deep Purple.)

We have little in common overall. And relating Small Area Games to on ice situations can prove difficult when you haven't applied it all your coaching career. (I'm a big believer in SAG nevertheless.)

Ah... Lindy is no spring chicken either!

Last edited:

rams

Feb 2, 2015
Canada
I don't really see how Gallant could be a better fit for Buffalo than Lindy. I think even Boudreau is a better fit than Gallant. Gallant does not rely on or develop young players, the Rangers players said about Gallant literally the same thing as our players about Granato. He certainly seems like a good coach, but I'm not sure he's the right fit for Buffalo specifically.
I disagree.

Story by Vincent Z. Mercogliano.
(Gallant) believes age doesn't dictate readiness to contribute.
Every development path is unique, with each player arriving at their peak on their own timetable.
"Sometimes they get it at 18. Sometimes it takes until 23 or 24."
Despite adding a few veterans in the offseason, the Rangers remain loaded with youth and inexperience. Their average age of 25.8 ranks as the fourth-youngest in the NHL, according to Elite Prospects... Fox, Shesterkin, Kakko, Lafrenière, Chytil, Gauthier, Hunt, Lindgren, K. Miller, Lundkvist and Georgiev...
Gallant said he sees "top-end center" potential in Chytil. He's centering the newly formed Kid Line with Lafrenière and Gauthier, which was the Rangers' best line in (a recent game.)

Gallant certainly did develop young talent with NYR.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Hey!..... I just turned 69 yrs old! LOL!

And yes, I am no longer coaching HS/Midgets either.........

Just not able to relate (or relatable) to youth that age anymore. Shit, I still listen to Yes, King Crimson, Rush, and Peter Gabriel. (Not to mention Led Zeppelin, Wishbone Ash and Deep Purple.)

We have little in common overall. And relating Small Area Games to on ice situations can prove difficult when you haven't applied it all your coaching career. (I'm a big believer in SAG nevertheless.)

Ah... Lindy is no spring chicken either!
you have exquisite taste. If you had added Genesis, I would have said it was superlative taste.

(I'm one year behind you.)

We grew up with the best muscle cars, the best music, and the hottest girls.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
So, my completely unsubstantiated thoughts on what has happened and what is going to happen

1. The plan wasn’t to fire Granato. The Pegulas told Adams to fire Granato. It’s why it got announced the day after and not after getting player feedback on the year. It’s also why Adams went out of his way to say. ‘This was my decision’ about four times in the press conference

2. The replacement is most likely Ruff, whom Terry has probably been texting for weeks about the job. The real question is will we do any sort of formal interview process or will there just be a presser introducing ruff.

At least you admit these are unsubstantiated and baseless theories.

Reactions: BuffaloGooner

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Honest question, what can Adams do at this point to convince you that he makes any decisions at all?
They are all controlled.

Screenshot_20240418_170959_Google.jpg

Reactions: Dirty Dog

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Adams:
"It was my decision"
"This wasn't something that was decided yesterday"

Doak:
"It was Terry's decision"
"It was not the plan to fire Granato. Pegula's told Adams to fire Granato"

Doak, I respect you. But you are really trying to stretch every word possible to carry this crusade of yours that Adams just does what Terry says to do. Even stating the complete opposite of what Adam's said in the press conference as reality.

Eh. When Adam’s goes to the mike and says the Pegulas are willing to move heaven and earth to get the team to win yet:

- spend to least on payroll of any team over the last 3 years
- won’t retain salaries

It stretches any credibility that Adams has.

And he has repeatedly said in public that he has unlimited resources to improve the team but then he doesn’t.

Honest question, what can Adams do at this point to convince you that he makes any decisions at all?

I think he makes some decisions. But I think a move like this that costs the Pegulas extra cash is going to be a Pegula one. And the abruptness in which it was announced feels like something changed suddenly.

You might be right -- but I bet he comes back as coach of the Leafs or something like that.

Unsubstantiated is correct. To my knowledge, this is based on no known facts.

Yup. This is pure speculation by me. Could be 100% wrong.

He could get a banner that says, "I'm the decider"

He could. Not sure it’d help.

Reactions: ClearTheTrack

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Eh. When Adam’s goes to the mike and says the Pegulas are willing to move heaven and earth to get the team to win yet:

- spend to least on payroll of any team over the last 3 years
- won’t retain salaries

It stretches any credibility that Adams has.

And he has repeatedly said in public that he has unlimited resources to improve the team but then he doesn’t.
I understand what you are saying, but sometimes it's to a bit of an extreme degree.

Spending to cap limit and retention on salaries is way different then the Owner telling a GM to fire the coach against the GMs wishes.

I think you are taking a component of the owner/gm relationship that is your opinion based on some decent reasoning and using it to justify a bit of a ridiculous thought on another component

Just my 2 cents

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I understand what you are saying, but sometimes it's to a bit of an extreme degree.

Spending to cap limit and retention on salaries is way different then the Owner telling a GM to fire the coach against the GMs wishes.

I think you are taking a component of the owner/gm relationship that is your opinion based on some decent reasoning and using it to justify a bit of a ridiculous thought on another component

Just my 2 cents

Eh, I don't think it was necessarily against his wishes.

Adams seems more of a 'gather all the information, talk to everyone, and then make a decision' guy, which is actually a credit to him. I haven't seen him do anything impulsive or reactionary.

Firing the coach before doing the exit interviews with the players and getting feedback just feels out of character for him, which is why I think (with absolutely zero proof) the owner maybe have simply said 'No, we're getting a different coach next year'.

And if there isn't an interview process and they just hire a guy in the next week, I think that probably reinforces that.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I disagree.

Story by Vincent Z. Mercogliano.
(Gallant) believes age doesn't dictate readiness to contribute.
Every development path is unique, with each player arriving at their peak on their own timetable.
"Sometimes they get it at 18. Sometimes it takes until 23 or 24."
Despite adding a few veterans in the offseason, the Rangers remain loaded with youth and inexperience. Their average age of 25.8 ranks as the fourth-youngest in the NHL, according to Elite Prospects... Fox, Shesterkin, Kakko, Lafrenière, Chytil, Gauthier, Hunt, Lindgren, K. Miller, Lundkvist and Georgiev...
Gallant said he sees "top-end center" potential in Chytil. He's centering the newly formed Kid Line with Lafrenière and Gauthier, which was the Rangers' best line in (a recent game.)

Gallant certainly did develop young talent with NYR.
All I read then on the Rangers thread was that Gallant didn’t trust the young players, Lafreniere and some others. In Vegas, I don't even remember a single young player with him. Then comments from Rangers players similar to comments from our players about Granato. We have a lot of young players and others already knocking to make the team, and I'm not sure Gallant is truly a perfect fit for Buffalo.

Reactions: MeenOlViks

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
All I read then on the Rangers thread was that Gallant didn’t trust the young players, Lafreniere and some others. In Vegas, I don't even remember a single young player with him. Then comments from Rangers players similar to comments from our players about Granato. We have a lot of young players and others already knocking to make the team, and I'm not sure Gallant is truly a perfect fit for Buffalo.

The PDOCast guys did a breakdown on Laffy's season and one of the points they had was Laffy had to learn how to play off-puck under Gallant which is what is serving him so well this year with Panarin. Gallant was all counter-attack, lay back and get quick strike rushes but not a lot of handles. Now he's using that after Lavi moved him to RW and he's using those skills to arrive while Bread does so much work with the puck. It's an interesting element of how Laffy's game has come along, that he had to learn the harder parts of an adult game instead of being a junior kid. It's a bit interesting to look at, though I would like to see what their Kappo breakdown would be too but they didn't.

Reactions: rams

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
S tier: RBD,Quenneville
A tier: Gallant, Ruff, Berube
B tier: Boudreau Bad in Van got to happy to see Kevin Owens,
Evason.
Amazing tier but dont fit KA criteria: Carle, Grönborg.
If we hire any of these coaches we're gooning into the playoffs.

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
After thinking about it, even though he could be a good fit I think Q is unemployable with the baggage he would bring to a team and franchise that needs stability rather than even more drama.

I think Ruff is probably the most probable candidate and I think I'd be okay with it. Not too much out there and I think all three of Berube, Gallant and Boudreau would get a neutral response from me at best, but at this point I think Ruff, Boudreau and maybe even the other two can probably get this team to the playoffs at least, which is a minimal improvement you gotta aim for rather than hope for the moon like RBB somehow falling into our laps.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
After thinking about it, even though he could be a good fit I think Q is unemployable with the baggage he would bring to a team and franchise that needs stability rather than even more drama.

I think Ruff is probably the most probable candidate and I think I'd be okay with it. Not too much out there and I think all three of Berube, Gallant and Boudreau would get a neutral response from me at best, but at this point I think Ruff, Boudreau and maybe even the other two can probably get this team to the playoffs at least, which is a minimal improvement you gotta aim for rather than hope for the moon like RBB somehow falling into our laps.
I can't believe people are even bringing up Q with that baggage..

Adams has pretty much said he already knows where he wants to go with it, I seriously doubt that means waiting (hoping) that Bettman will even reinstate Q in the very near future.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
From a pure here and now perspective I think Q would have the most success the quickest. I watched him here in Chicago and have has a few insights into those teams from employees at the time. He rides a select few, in his case 4 HOFers Sharpe Seabrook and Kjarmarlson and adequate goaltending, very very very hard. He is an end justifies the means type of person. The minutes Keith logged even when not fully healthy were insane. He doesn’t care about development. He exploits what you bring to the table and doesn’t really care or think it his job to teach or extract new talents, see Kane, Patrick.

He doesn’t care if you are a choir boy or convict and he doesn’t care about anything other than winning. I also believe, based on some whispers, that he knew what was going on and did not care or feel it was his problem.

After 13 years I would like that type of win at all costs attitude. Even voted that way in the thread. But I cannot see him and TPegs ever gelling. Rocky Wirtz was as much a fan as Terry, but he was willing to look away in order to pack the barn and host parades. I think Terry values image above all else and it would not be a fit. And after reflection I don’t think I could ever get behind a guy like him without some substantial act of contrition. Jmho.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
From a pure here and now perspective I think Q would have the most success the quickest. I watched him here in Chicago and have has a few insights into those teams from employees at the time. He rides a select few, in his case 4 HOFers Sharpe Seabrook and Kjarmarlson and adequate goaltending, very very very hard. He is an end justifies the means type of person. The minutes Keith logged even when not fully healthy were insane. He doesn’t care about development. He exploits what you bring to the table and doesn’t really care or think it his job to teach or extract new talents, see Kane, Patrick.

He doesn’t care if you are a choir boy or convict and he doesn’t care about anything other than winning. I also believe, based on some whispers, that he knew what was going on and did not care or feel it was his problem.

After 13 years I would like that type of win at all costs attitude. Even voted that way in the thread. But I cannot see him and TPegs ever gelling. Rocky Wirtz was as much a fan as Terry, but he was willing to look away in order to pack the barn and host parades. I think Terry values image above all else and it would not be a fit. And after reflection I don’t think I could ever get behind a guy like him without some substantial act of contrition. Jmho.
I think based on what you said, that should cement the case of him never touching a professional rink again

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
you have exquisite taste. If you had added Genesis, I would have said it was superlative taste.

(I'm one year behind you.)

We grew up with the best muscle cars, the best music, and the hottest girls.
I don't mention Genesis because then I have to articulate between Gabriel as lead singer and Phil Collins.

I enjoyed Trick of the Tail and follow ons but NOT as much as Supper's Ready and the rest of the early Genesis stuff.

It was our generation's music! "When the lamb lies down.....on Broadway...."

And the bass kicks in! Whoosh!!

Last edited:

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I'm all for the Lindy in the front office school of thought, I really like that idea. Not as the head coach though, we've seen that show already.

Not one of our current players have seen that show already so, to me anyway, how is Lindy any different that any other choice you may have? Sure, other candidates have not coached here before but what does that matter? None of the candidates, to include Ruff, have any experience with this roster.

The only thing Lindy has is he is a former employee. It’s not like he’s Scotty Bowman and coached most of the same roster three or four times.

Reactions: SundherDome

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Brind'Amour to Buffalo feels like a pipe dream unfortunately. Would definitely be my number one target
RBA isn’t coming. It would be like surgery to pull his family out of Raleigh. He’s got a contending team. No way he’s leaving.

My kids play in Raleigh all the time. I have tons of friends there with kids in the program. He’s not leaving.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I don't mention Genesis because then I have articulate between Gabriel as lead singer and Phil Collins.

I enjoyed Trick of the Tail and follow ons but NOT as much as Supper's Ready and the rest of the early Genesis stuff.

It was our generation's music! "When the lamb lies down.....on Broadway...."

And the bass kicks in! Whoosh!!

I love all of Genesis - a lot of the trio is as progressive as the Gabriel stuff.

It's like the Yes fans who discount anything without Howe though I love the Rabin stuff just as much and 90125, Big Generator, and Talk are more listenable than Tales From Topographic Oceans.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Firing the coach before doing the exit interviews with the players and getting feedback just feels out of character for him, which is why I think (with absolutely zero proof) the owner maybe have simply said 'No, we're getting a different coach next year'.

While I hear what you are saying, he was here for three and a half years.

Not certain Adams needed another round of exit interviews to get a "true" feel about how the coaching staff is performing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad