Speculation: The Coaching Search (Friedman: Ruff to be next HC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
He just had an absolute disaster run with the Canucks who are now significantly better without him there and a coach more in line with what we're looking for behind the bench.
His most recent stint with the Canucks was also nothing to write home about. Do you mind explaining your views on Julien? I was not a fan of his last run with MTL.
I forgot how bad last season started for them. He seemed solid for the Nucks the prior year. Pretty sure he put up a good record, but yeah- I understand the concerns over last season. It did seem like the GM wasn't all in on Boudreau from the get-go, though.

I would like the structure Julien would bring. I'd be intrigued to see what he can do with our young defensive core. Of course, he has his warts, too. I'm not sure if he'd be able to bring the offense to life.

Gallant is probably my number 1 choice at the moment largely because if Adams signs him- then it tells me he's changing his philosophy. Gallant would want some rugged vets to lean on and match lines.

Reactions: Willgamesh

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
An unsourced rumor on Reddit is that the Sabres are pursuing Mike Yeo. Yeesh!

I don't want it to be true for the team because that would be a terrible choice.

But...for someone who loves to post snarky things...

giphy.gif

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Ruff - likely

Berube - not sure if the fit would be quite right

Gallant - intriguing

Boudreau - I get the questions, but I would be optimistic

Brind'Amour - The dream option. Pipe and otherwise.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Yeo seems to fit as much as most of the other experienced NHL head coaches that are seeing their names thrown around.

:dunno:
There are plenty of Blues fans who think the stanley cup win was more a result of Yeo's work with the team that year than it was Berube's.

I just love how everyone's an expert on coaching, which most people don't have any insight into.

I would put good money against Yeo. Just doesn't fit what Adams was saying. Reddittor has to be talking out his ass.
Why doesn't he fit, specifically?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Adams - “If I get this wrong it will be my last coaching hire”

Reddit - “Hearing Mike Yeo…”

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
View attachment 854418

View attachment 854419
Buffalo got significantly better goaltending this year than NJ did.

That is one reason why I would not be down on Ruff getting the job.
Geez. I did not know Levi played that well this season. Kid is looking like the real deal.

I honestly think Ruff can get this team to the playoffs. Im not sure if the team will reach their true potential under him, though. I can probably say that about most options available, though.

Reactions: Dingo44

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
There are plenty of Blues fans who think the stanley cup win was more a result of Yeo's work with the team that year than it was Berube's.

I just love how everyone's an expert on coaching, which most people don't have any insight into.
I get why people would feel let down if Yeo gets the job. But, Adams was vague enough that I could see Yeo being in the mix.

Although, I tend to think that Yeo isn't the guy with Adams saying things could happen quickly and Yeo still working as the Canucks made the playoffs.

To me, it sounds like a guy that is experienced as an NHL head coach, has some ties already to Adams, or others in the Sabres organization, and is available today.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Geez. I did not know Levi played that well this season. Kid is looking like the real deal.

I honestly think Ruff can get this team to the playoffs. Im not sure if the team will reach their true potential under him, though. I can probably say that about most options available, though.
Every experienced NHL head coaching candidate that will be mentioned has been fired from at least one NHL team. Most will have been fired by multiple teams.

And as we saw with Bylsma, just because you hire a coach who has coached a team to a Cup does not ensure that things will go well.

There are no guarantees in pro sports.

When it comes to Ruff, I would look at the hire as a 2-3 year thing and he is the coach that is expected to get them back into the playoffs. He isn't a guy that will be here for 5+ years. And who knows if this core group develops into a team that is capable of getting back to the SC Finals or even winning one. But, the next step in the build is to end the drought. And I think Lindy is as good a candidate as any that will get mentioned for that specific job.

Plus, we know that he bleeds Blue & Gold. Of that, there should be zero doubt.

Misko

Sep 30, 2020
He has a lot of warts and would be a bit controversial, but honestly I wouldn't be opposed to hiring Joel Quenneville. If you can get ahead of his past and ensure he comes in on a clean slate, I think he's the best coach out there with the most experience and pedigree.

Reactions: Snippit and paulmm3

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I get why people would feel let down if Yeo gets the job. But, Adams was vague enough that I could see Yeo being in the mix.

Although, I tend to think that Yeo isn't the guy with Adams saying things could happen quickly and Yeo still working as the Canucks made the playoffs.

To me, it sounds like a guy that is experienced as an NHL head coach, has some ties already to Adams, or others in the Sabres organization, and is available today.

I don't know jack shit about Yeo besides his record with the Wild and what the Blues fans said about him, so I have no opinion. Was just wondering how everyone became such experts.

But yeah, the fact that he has a job that may not end for months is a good sign he's not in the mix.

Reactions: Jim Bob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad