Speculation: The Coaching Search (Friedman: Ruff to be next HC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
During his presser, he stated that they have to win now, they don't have the time to wait.

He was talking about his own job. This is the end of the line for GMKA if this doesn't work out.
He literally said this is going to be the last hire I make

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Friedmann was just on the radio saying he’s heard that his deal has been done with Carolina the a while - possibly since last summer. So I don’t see why anyone would even be talking about him as a possibility.

Why wouldn’t they just announce it then? Not doubting the report. Just strange.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Friedmann was just on the radio saying he’s heard that his deal has been done with Carolina the a while - possibly since last summer. So I don’t see why anyone would even be talking about him as a possibility.

EF has been saying that for a while on 32 Thoughts too - that it's just waiting to have his assistants taken care of and then they will sign off on it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The last I heard the hold up has been about compensation for his assistants.

He’s a weird case though because he took a way below market value deal last time and now they’re trying to cheap on his assistants? Seems like there’s a deep rooted issue he probably needs some answers on. Not that this, of all places, is going to offer that solution

They messed with his assistants the last time his deal was up in 2021, also from Friedman. Some of them did not get retained, he had to find replacements. He wants his guys to be taken care of too.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
From the digging I've done, it seems like the most common complaint about Berube is his lack of Xs and Os....that Ott seemed to be the Xs and Os guy behind the bench. That hasn't really been a major complaint about Gallant.

That's why I lean toward Gallant over Berube.
For some unknown reason....maybe it's just a mistaken perception.... I can not see gallant and Adams striking a cordial relationship.

Gerard seems to be a my way or the highway type of guy....

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Someone else brought it up, but there are some weird timeline issues. If you look at Granato in the post-game interview after the final game, he doesn't look like anyone that has a clue what is coming. Then the media availability thing where they announced his Friday presser.

Adam's may have been throwing the idea around, but I am wondering if he wasn't pushed a little by Pegula+. Lets not forget Adams first act as GM was to clean house - he has no issue being the hatchet man.
I suspect he was pushed by Pegula.... a lot. Adams just doesn't strike me as a decisive decision maker. His press conference - though welcomed - caught most of us by surprise.

Right or wrong, I think Terry told Kevyn.... ef this noise, get my team a new coach. NOW!

Reactions: Irie

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
In the press conference, Adams said it is "critically important and top of the list" that the next coach be (paraphrasing) approachable and not someone they are scared of. He also stressed that the next coach has to be able to "communicate, more than ever, one on one with players, articulate what expectations are when you step on that ice, but also build a relationship".

Good chance Berube is probably not on the short list here.
Is Berube as tough as Torts? Although it'll probably be Lindy and I'm fine.

Last edited:

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Is Berube as tough as Torts? Although it'll probably be Lindy and I'm fine.
Don’t think bring nice was what he says was #1 al- if that was the case Donny would still
Be here. He just was saying you can’t just throw chairs and swear - you need to have a relationship with players too …but accountability was #1 not being approachable.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Don’t think bring nice was what he says was #1 al- if that was the case Donny would still
Be here. He just was saying you can’t just throw chairs and swear - you need to have a relationship with players too …but accountability was #1 not being approachable.

Craig Berube​

Experience: The St. Louis Blues were last in the NHL in January 2019, then rallied under Berube as interim coach to win the first Stanley Cup in the franchise’s then-52-year history. They won three of their last four games to beat the Boston Bruins after completing a similar comeback in the Western Conference finals and surviving an overtime Game 7 against Dallas in the second round.

Berube led the Blues to the playoffs in each of his first four seasons, but they advanced past the first round only once after their Cup victory. He was fired in December 2023 with St. Louis under .500 and ranking 26th in goals per game.

Pedigree: The Philadelphia Flyers had Berube on staff in 2009-10 when they lost to the Chicago Blackhawks in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. He also led them to a postseason appearance in 2013-14 after taking over as coach midseason.

Accountability: A longtime NHL enforcer, Berube was lauded for his ability to get the most out of the Blues under challenging circumstances. It wasn’t until their defense depth and makeup changed that they took a step back. He was lauded for how he held his players accountable throughout his time as coach there. Berube is also known for his ability to have his teams play with structure, which, according to Sabres players, is a necessary next step.

“We need a hard, accountable, structure-driven coach,” defenseman Connor Clifton said. “There’s so much young talent in this room. ... I guess we just need someone to lead us in a better way, in a more hard-mannered way, where we can follow the leader and work and be better than we were this year.”

Fit: Would Berube’s preferred style of play be too polarizing and not a fit for the skill on the Sabres’ roster? His teams in St. Louis were excellent when the roster had big, mobile defensemen. He would have that in Buffalo with Rasmus Dahlin and Owen Power. The Blues’ top, young players, Jordan Kyrou and Robert Thomas, also had success under Berube.

Well, the players themselves say that they need a tough coach.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Berube, Gallant, Ruff, Boudreau, RBA, Quenneville…

None are perfect but it’s so refreshing to know that we’re getting someone with experience and someone who has had success in this league.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I'd be fine with any of the veteran coaches mentioned. Theyre all going to have some flaws. They're available for a reason after all.
Tell me a coach that hasnt any flaws?
Gotta pick the right one that pushes the right buttons for this specific group otherwise he s gonna run on deaf ears sooner or later.
Have to find the Sabre-whisperer.

Reactions: Jim Bob

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Wonder how quickly before we start getting reports on the interviewing process

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Am I the only one that doesn’t want Mike Sullivan?
Sullivan and Keefe would be far down my list.

I'd be happy with Julien, Boudreau, or Gallant. Q would top my list if he didnt have baggage though, to be fair, I'm not sure how involved he was in the craziness.

Berube and Ruff would probably be my next tier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sabre Dance

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Feel like I'm taking crazy pills with this Boudreau thing
He had some really good years with Washington. The failure in the playoffs is obviously concerning, but I always viewed him as a pretty good coach.

Edit: Oh wow, just saw he's 69 years old. I didn't realize he was that old. That puts a damper on my view of him.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
He had some really good years with Washington. The failure in the playoffs is obviously concerning, but I always viewed him as a pretty good coach.

Edit: Oh wow, just saw he's 69 years old. I didn't realize he was that old. That puts a damper on my view of him.
He just had an absolute disaster run with the Canucks who are now significantly better without him there and a coach more in line with what we're looking for behind the bench.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019

His most recent stint with the Canucks was also nothing to write home about. Do you mind explaining your views on Julien? I was not a fan of his last run with MTL.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Let’s go full blown Weekend at Bernie’s and announce Punch Imlach as our new head coach.

Laugh all you want but he is better than Roldton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad