The Checking Line

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Abby-Nielsen-Helm
Today, despite Abby's PP goal, they were awful.
Goal 1 - Helm-Nielsen-Abby - Abby took nobody and watched the pass go right by him to Malkin on goal one.
Abby
Goal 2 - PK - Abby-Larkin - Quick pass past Abby gains the zone and the Kessel speeds past Big E.
Goal 3 - AA-Larkin-Mantha - Mantha cheated toward's Daley's guy and left his late man (Malkin) alone.
Goal 4- PK - Helm-Nielsen - Nielsen got outmuscled by Crosby with a stickcheck in the slot. Crosby scores.

Over his last 25 games Nielsen is 4-3-7 -10
Over his last 18 games Abdelkader is 4-0-4 -8 (despite #1 unit PP time.
Over his last 25 Helm is 1-5-6 -9

Yes, they often draw tough assignments. But they're getting beat fairly routinely.

In the short term, this line will be broken up because Helm and Abdelkader are out for Sunday's game.
And long term, I'd guess Glendening returns to a checking line.

But looking our our lineup, wouldn't we better if Nielsen was used offensively?
We're sitting here with Frk and Mantha as some bullshit 2/3rds of a 4th line.

Slip Nielsen there and it's an attack line.

Then Glendening centers with Helm and Abby.

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi
Tatar-Larkin-Athanasiou.
Mantha-Nielsen-Frk
Helm-Glendening-Abdelkader.

And stop worrying about the f***ing matchups.

Last edited:

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013
If I'm not mistaken.. It was Neilson who got stick checked on the 4th goal.. Not Larkin.. But other than that. Totally agree. That line has been very underwhelming.. Barely notice helm anymore.. He used to use his speed a lot.. Haven't seen it this year.. And it drives me up the wall that the kids are held on such a sort leash but these veterans can seemingly do no wrong. Massive turnovers.. No compete level.. Racking up the minuses.. With no reprocussions whatsoever..

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If I'm not mistaken.. It was Neilson who got stick checked on the 4th goal.. Not Larkin.. But other than that. Totally agree. That line has been very underwhelming.. Barely notice helm anymore.. He used to use his speed a lot.. Haven't seen it this year.. And it drives me up the wall that the kids are held on such a sort leash but these veterans can seemingly do no wrong. Massive turnovers.. No compete level.. Racking up the minuses.. With no reprocussions whatsoever..
What should the repurcussions be? Helm's 9th in TOI/GP. Nielsen get's a few seconds more than AA. Abby gets a bit more time, but he's been good this year and deserves it, easily. Larkin gets plenty of icetime and Mantha gets pretty much what he deserves given his completel lack of effort lately.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

You are not mistake. Larkin wasn't on the ice.
Typed the wrong name.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
What should the repurcussions be? Helm's 9th in TOI/GP. Nielsen get's a few seconds more than AA. Abby gets a bit more time, but he's been good this year and deserves it, easily. Larkin gets plenty of icetime and Mantha gets pretty much what he deserves given his completel lack of effort lately.

I think I'd like to see Nielsen centering more of a two-way line than a straight defensive matchup line.

Let the 4th line (Abby Helm and maybe Turgeon until Glenny comes back). be the matchup line.
Then we reply with three attack lines.

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
I absolutely can not stand that line. All three have bad contracts and shouldn't have been signed to them.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Abdelkader, Helm and Nielsen.... :whaaa?: looks at their play on the ice.... :whaaa?: looks at their insane contracts....

Kenny Holland dubs them his:

No Regerts Line

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
After watching the 1st few games I asked the question

" Where did his foot speed go?"

I still would like an answer

age, injuries, and a changing NHL game where I think the league as a whole has just gotten faster making Helm less special.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->