CFL: The CFL thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Purchased my tickets for the TiCats visit to Ottawa at the end of the month. Got a Habs game in Montreal on the Thursday, CFL in Ottawa on Friday and the Bingo Devils on Saturday.

Reactions: Rigafan

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
CJ Gable traded to Edmonton. Hamilton still has an outside chance to be a playoff team, but it's probably for the best so they can see what they have in Alex Green.

Seems like Edmonton just addressed a problem that wasn't really a problem. I'd have rather seen Perkins brought back off the practice roster TBH. He had a couple pretty good games earlier in the year.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
New week starting. As a Bomber fan I am not used to being in the position of being a heavy favourite, but I'm pretty hopeful tonight. However this is no longer the walkover team from earlier in the year in Hamilton, Masoli has them playing well. Interested to see what Alex Green will do in his 2nd start, he was dynamite in his first, but I think the Bombers run D is fairly solid. Keeping Masoli in pocket and forcing him to beat us through the air will be key, as several Bombers players have talked about this week. A win here and BC loss this week would lock down a playoff spot, probably the earliest a Bomber team has secured a playoff spot since maybe 2002.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Couldn't watch, but looks like Winnipeg had a let down after the big win last week. Figured it would be close game either way, seeing that Hamilton laid a beating was surprising.

The Cats might be the best team in the East right now. If they hadn't blown that game last week they'd be right in the race for first place.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Couldn't watch, but looks like Winnipeg had a let down after the big win last week. Figured it would be close game either way, seeing that Hamilton laid a beating was surprising.

The Cats might be the best team in the East right now. If they hadn't blown that game last week they'd be right in the race for first place.

I don't know if I'd say beatdown. The score was kinda deceiving, IMO. The refs spotted Hamilton AT VERY LEAST 15 points in that game. The Ti-Cats offense was moving the ball at will agsinst Bombers for sure though. The Bombers have always given up yards but depended on the clutch turnover which did not materialize in this one. And losing Nichols at half was devastating as the team clearly did not rally behind Davis like they do for Nichols.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I don't know if I'd say beatdown. The score was kinda deceiving, IMO. The refs spotted Hamilton AT VERY LEAST 15 points in that game. The Ti-Cats offense was moving the ball at will agsinst Bombers for sure though. The Bombers have always given up yards but depended on the clutch turnover which did not materialize in this one. And losing Nichols at half was devastating as the team clearly did not rally behind Davis like they do for Nichols.

Not surprising to hear that the refs played a staring role.

Is Nichols out now? That would be a tough pill to swallow after he's overcome injury to resurrect his career.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
My word was that ever a pathetic effort from the Argos.

Tough to believe they have the best record in the East.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Is it just me, or can teams not close a game out to save their life this year? BC is the latest team to blow a critical game that they led by multiple TDs. An Eskimo win tomorrow pretty much seals the Lions fate I would say.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Watching this 1st half in the Calgary-Hamilton game it may be time to fold the league.

The reffing is just embarrassing at this point. Gifted Hamilton 2 TD's now.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Playoff picture starting to firm up. BC is in big trouble. They don't hold the tiebreakers on either Sask or Edm so BC needs to win out and hope either Edm (including the game they are currently winning 14-11 v TOR) or Sask lose out (Sask play Edm once more so they both can't lose out). So Cgy, Wpg, Tor, Ott have clinched and Edm, Sask are on the verge of clinching. Looks really likely the first 4 will host playoff games.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
That really sucks that Hamilton blew that game against Toronto a couple weeks back. We would have had a good playoff race in the East these last three weeks if they could have held on. The Ti Cats (and Ottawa) would have actually been in control of their own destiny for 1st place, as incredible as that sounds. That one game changed the whole landscape.

Looks like the battle for third place in the West is really the only thing still up in the air, baring a string of unlikely results. Sask has the inside track in spite of one less win than the Esks IMO. These two play eachother in Regina to close the season out, and unless the Riders are two wins behind at that point (would require either a Rider loss to Montreal, or an Eskimo win over Calgary) it'll be win and finish third scenario for Sask. I have no faith whatsoever in Jason Maas-ciocia and Mike Bene-feces' ability to win a road game in Regina.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Is this turning into another Calgary year where they have a dominant regular season but struggles late and in playoffs? That was an absolute turd they laid at home against Saskatchewan last night. Bombers now still have an outside chance at 1st. Bombers need to win next two, Calgary lose next week in Edmonton to set up a battle for 1st in final week when Bombers visit Calgary.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Is this turning into another Calgary year where they have a dominant regular season but struggles late and in playoffs?

Sure hope so!

Last night's Sask win almost certainly makes the Esks-Riders season finale a winner-take-all game for 3rd place now.

Winnipeg should pound Toronto and BC. Hopefully Edmonton can show up and do them a favor by knocking off the Stamps next week and give them a chance a 1st.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Wow that was pathetic, Winnipeg. Calgary clinches.

Justin Medlock is no better than an average kicker, and today proved it again. He's more likely to hit a 55+ yarder than anyone else, but when you miss regularly from inside 45 that doesn't much matter.

Lol and here we go, the TSN panel in total disbelief that Medlock missed from 39, calling him an all-time great, etc. Apparently they haven't been paying attention this season.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Wow that was pathetic, Winnipeg. Calgary clinches.

Justin Medlock is no better than an average kicker, and today proved it again. He's more likely to hit a 55+ yarder than anyone else, but when you miss regularly from inside 45 that doesn't much matter.

Lol and here we go, the TSN panel in total disbelief that Medlock missed from 39, calling him an all-time great, etc. Apparently they haven't been paying attention this season.

He has the highest career FG% of any kicker ever in the CFL. So fair to say he is actually the best kicker that has ever played in CFL.

But it looks like he has checked out. I think he might retire at the end of the year, he was talking about it after Edmonton game earlier this year.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
That was the most TiCats way to lose a game possible. Special teams killed us. At least it was a great game. TD Bank is actually pretty nice as well, we liked it.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
For the record tonight we had TWO correct calls overturned by replay tonight.

God, again? I only was able to catch bits and pieces tonight so I missed that.

This league is going to have the Grey Cup decided on a blown call by a command center that seems to grab a shovel and start digging every time you think they've hit rock bottom.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Unexpectedly, the West just got very interesting heading into the final weekend. An Edmonton win in Regina combined with a Winnipeg loss in Calgary would give the Eskimos 2nd in the West. What was highly improbable two weeks ago is suddenly a distinct possibility.

I did not see Winnipeg suddenly losing to Toronto and especially the Lions. Now Nicholls and Harris are both banged up. This could be catastrophic for the Bombers, who seemed to be rolling so smoothly all season, but now find themselves in a must-win situation at McMahon Stadium on Friday night.

The one silver lining is that the Stampeders suddenly look like a very beatable football team, and I wouldn't put it past that organization to lay down on Friday to make sure the Eskimos can't finish second.

First in the East is still up for grabs as well. Toronto needs to win or tie in BC to pass Ottawa, simple as that. I think the Leos come out with a big effort in what could be Wally's final game though, so that's not going to be easy.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Also forgot a guy from Ottawa set a new league record with 496 all purpose yards in a single game. Why we continued to kick to him I have no idea. Just pooch kick it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad