CFL: The CFL thread - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Second week in a row his QB got blasted in the head and the refs missed it. Hard not to be upset.

Last week he wasn't hit in the head at all. That was straight to the chest.

This week it looked like a clean hit as well but either way with the huge calls the Esks got all 4th quarter hard to feel bad for them.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Last week he wasn't hit in the head at all. That was straight to the chest.

This week it looked like a clean hit as well but either way with the huge calls the Esks got all 4th quarter hard to feel bad for them.
Holy cow, you're an incredible homer. He got taken out last week by the spotter because it was a head shot.

He got hit even harder today in the head.

And there you are talking about these mysterious huge calls going the Esks way again.

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Holy cow, you're an incredible homer. He got taken out last week by the spotter because it was a head shot.

He got hit even harder today in the head.

No he got taken out because he had a head injury from his head being snapped back from the hit to the chest and his head hitting the ground.

There is zero question that last week was not a head shot at all.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
No he got taken out because he had a head injury from his head being snapped back from the hit to the chest and his head hitting the ground.

There is zero question that last week was not a head shot at all.

Right in the chin. His helmet was pushed up his face. Your head/neck does not whip back like that from getting hit in the chest. The one today was clear as day and you're calling it clean.

No point even talking with you if you're going to straight up lie in your posts because you dislike the team.

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Right in the chin. Your head/neck does not whip back like that from getting hit in the chest. The one today was clear as day and you're calling it clean.

No point even talking with you if you're going to straight up lie in your posts because you dislike the team.

The Stamps hit was not to the head. I have seen it live, seen video replays and seen still pictures in all 3 it is clear as day that it was to the chest.

The hit today was less clear but still a good no call.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The Stamps hit was not to the head. I have seen it live, seen video replays and seen still pictures in all 3 it is clear as day that it was to the chest.

The hit today was less clear but still a good no call.
You need your eyes badly checked if everyone else can see it but you. You won't admit to last week because you're a Stamps fan (that's fine, I get it) but the one today is so obvious and made a loud noise when the helmets collided. Literally no one on Twitter or TSN agrees with it not being called.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
You need your eyes badly checked if everyone else can see it but you. You won't admit to last week because you're a Stamps fan (that's fine, I get it) but the one today is so obvious and made a loud noise when the helmets collided. Literally no one on Twitter or TSN agrees with it not being called.

Everyone else? Most people I know say last week was not a headshot. It is only pathetic Eskimo fans that whine about that because they can't admit their team and QB are complete garbage.

Today maybe a hit to the head but still a good no call. Its great seeing Reilly take hits like that!!

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Everyone else? Most people I know say last week was not a headshot. It is only pathetic Eskimo fans that whine about that because they can't admit their team and QB are complete garbage.

Today maybe a hit to the head but still a good no call. Its great seeing Reilly take hits like that!!
Hit to the head = penalty

Astonishing you can't grasp this and are actually celebrating the hit. Not gonna further waste my time.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Hit to the head = penalty

Astonishing you can't grasp this and are actually celebrating the hit. Not gonna further waste my time.

Pretty sure the poster you're arguing with is just a troll. I think Jason Maas ran over his dog or something.

My takeaways from this game are:

-The Eskimos completely undervalue the importance of the kicking position. This loss is a win without another embarrassing and costly performance from a kicker who should not be employed in pro football.

-This game could have got away from Toronto in a hurry if Kenny Ladler doesn't let an near-certain pick 6 bounce off his hands. Could have been 14-0 very early.

-Just burn the ****ing command center to the ground already.

-In a league that has gone as far as to completely abolish full contact practices in the name of player safety, Mike Reilly has had his head blown up in a crucial situation two weeks in a row with no call, and no excuse whatsoever for there not to be a call. But hey, good thing the officials are right on top of flagging guys yelling on the bench. They never fail to miss those calls.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Pretty sure the poster you're arguing with is just a troll. I think Jason Maas ran over his dog or something.

LOL

Just because I don't agree with you about your precious little Eskimos I am a troll?

And the Davis hit was clear as day in Reilly's chest. So good job on the no call by the refs. So yes there was a very good reason for there not to be a call because there was no penalty on the play.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
LOL

Just because I don't agree with you about your precious little Eskimos I am a troll?

And the Davis hit was clear as day in Reilly's chest. So good job on the no call by the refs. So yes there was a very good reason for there not to be a call because there was no penalty on the play.

If you want to say there was no contact with Reilly's head, fine. But to simultaneously defend the spotters decision to yank him out of the game becomes an impossible position to take. They weren't both the correct call. If there was no contact to Reilly's head and he showed no signs of being distressed (he bounced up immediately) there is no grounds for some guy watching the game on tv in Toronto to call the stadium and have him removed. The whiplash effect/helmet hit the turf circumstances that you have been using to defend the spotters call happens all the time. Like, multiple times in every game. Yet this ONE particular time the spotter decides it could be a concussion and pulls a player? That's hard for me to believe. It's much, much more plausible that it was the initial hit that was the catalyst for the spotters decision. If it was indeed for the other stuff, it begs the question of what the hell the spotter was doing the other...I dunno, 50 times? this season that a similar play had occurred.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I agree that if they are serious about head injuries that they should pull guys more often. That is the closest to a legit argument seal fans could try and make (although it doesn't change the outcome) was that they don't pull guys out often so why then. But the Davis hit was 100% clean.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
gR757wh.png

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
That freeze-frame is after the defender has already taken an entire step forward after the initial contact. You can freeze the GIF posted above by clicking on it at the precise moment of contact. Clearly Davis' helmet is too high. The CFL has made it very clear over a number of years that if your helmet contacts the QB's head, even if it is on the follow through and the head wasn't the initial point of contact, it will be flagged. Two weeks in a row they've deviated from standard procedure at a critical juncture and the same team has paid the price for it. Maas throwing his headset has damned the Eskimos for the rest of this season in the same manner that the Calgary Flames appealing the Dennis Wideman suspension damned them for the rest of the year. The brotherhood of sports officials at its finest.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
The hit yesterday was a hit to the head but it wasn't an especially egregious one...basically the top of the defender's helmet hit Reilly in the face mask. Watch it at full speed (like the officials) and it would look like a hit to the chest/upper body. Can't be too mad at them for missing that.

The Esks depending on a borderline headshot penalty to get half the distance to the goal line on a sack no less certainly doesn't mean they were screwed out of a tie or a win. I mean it was a sack on third down. Far different from let's say a non-call on pass interference in the end zone where the receiver would have clearly caught it if not for interference by the defender.

Maas has no control over his emotions and it cost him. He immediately threw the challenge flag in response to the receiver's call for one on the failed attempt at a TD a play or two before the head shot. Based on the angles we saw there was no way it was a PI. Maas refused to wait until he had word from upstairs that there was a legit PI on the play... he just based his decision on emotion. Incredibly stupid and that kind of attitude has no place in coaching ranks.

The offensive PI call on the review was the correct call as well. It was so obvious yet Maas was too much of a whiner to admit it...it is clear as day in the video.

Esks certainly did not deserve the win...not when they give up all nearly 200 yards to Wilder on a measly 11 carries. Toronto outgained Esks by 70 yards as well. Injuries have caught up to Edmonton these past several weeks and it's a testament to their depth that they were able to pull off 7 straight wins early on. Eventually though, something has to give, and when the Esks had 20 players injured, things went south in a hurry. As they team brings some players back from injuries the results may turn around for them. Right now, they should be very concerned about the surging Riders.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The hit yesterday was a hit to the head but it wasn't an especially egregious one...basically the top of the defender's helmet hit Reilly in the face mask. Watch it at full speed (like the officials) and it would look like a hit to the chest/upper body. Can't be too mad at them for missing that.

The Esks depending on a borderline headshot penalty to get half the distance to the goal line on a sack no less certainly doesn't mean they were screwed out of a tie or a win. I mean it was a sack on third down. Far different from let's say a non-call on pass interference in the end zone where the receiver would have clearly caught it if not for interference by the defender.

Maas has no control over his emotions and it cost him. He immediately threw the challenge flag in response to the receiver's call for one on the failed attempt at a TD a play or two before the head shot. Based on the angles we saw there was no way it was a PI. Maas refused to wait until he had word from upstairs that there was a legit PI on the play... he just based his decision on emotion. Incredibly stupid and that kind of attitude has no place in coaching ranks.

The offensive PI call on the review was the correct call as well. It was so obvious yet Maas was too much of a whiner to admit it...it is clear as day in the video.

Esks certainly did not deserve the win...not when they give up all nearly 200 yards to Wilder on a measly 11 carries. Toronto outgained Esks by 70 yards as well. Injuries have caught up to Edmonton these past several weeks and it's a testament to their depth that they were able to pull off 7 straight wins early on. Eventually though, something has to give, and when the Esks had 20 players injured, things went south in a hurry. As they team brings some players back from injuries the results may turn around for them. Right now, they should be very concerned about the surging Riders.

This is an interesting point. I'll elaborate below.

Bud Steen was on Edmonton radio again today, apologizing on behalf of the CFL for awful officiating for the second week in a row. He had some interesting comments:

-The command center can only see replays provided to them by TSN. By the sounds of it, they only had one particular angle and it didn't show conclusively that Duke William's had his facemask grabbed on the non-call. But the host of the radio show did have an angle that a listener sent to him (from a recording of the game on TV it is assumed) that clearly shows a hand to the face, and Steen agreed that it should have been overturned. So why the hell are only certain angles being provided to the command center by the TSN truck? At best it's incompetent, at worst it's extremely shady.

-The CFL is in the process of training new personnel to work the command center. Without coming right out and saying it, Steen basically implied that the idiots they have doing it now are going to be fired. This raises a couple of questions. Just who IS in the command center right now? I had assumed it to be former officials, which would only make sense, but there was no hint given that it actually is. The second question would be, what sort of "training" do the prospective replacements need? Is the CFL just pulling random people off the street and trying to teach them how to apply the rules on video reviews? Seems like a person who has spent an extensive amount of time involved in Canadian football would be largely qualified on that basis alone, and there's no reason the CFL should be seeking out anyone who doesn't fit that criteria. Steen didn't elaborate on what exactly the training process is, but it seems odd that some (seemingly) lengthy process is needed.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
As a Bomber fan I know all about bad QB's and that Lindley performance is one of the worst I have ever seen. I know it was raining, but he was pathetic. Not quite Akili Smith or Stefan LeFors bad, but damn that was poor. Hope for Ottawa's sake that Tate or Harris come back soon.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Monster win for the Ti-Cats tonight. I really think they have a player in Masoli. Not a guy who is going to light it up for 300 yards on a regular basis, but a lot of smart throws, good mobility, and led the crucial game-winning drive. I would suspect the Collaros era is now at an end in the Hammer.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Monster win for the Ti-Cats tonight. I really think they have a player in Masoli. Not a guy who is going to light it up for 300 yards on a regular basis, but a lot of smart throws, good mobility, and led the crucial game-winning drive. I would suspect the Collaros era is now at an end in the Hammer.

I'm not really sold much on Masoli myself. I think he is like Nealon Greene at best. A guy who might float around as a running QB, but without long-term potential. I do agree that he has shown that Collaros was pretty badly overrated by everyone (which includes myself). Not sure what is next for Collaros but he for sure done as the highest paid QB in CFL. I do imagine he will get another shot with Montreal at least looking for a new QB next year, as well as potentially Toronto and Saskatchewan as well.

As a Bomber fan this was a massive win. If Calgary takes care of business this week against the Riders and Bombers manage to keep Esks losing streak going next week (both admittedly are far from guarantees) that would give us alot of leeway in the division to lock up that home playoff game. At that point we'd have tie-breakers on both Sask and Edm meaning we'd only need to beat Hamilton and Toronto to lock #2 seed in West.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Singleton might be the Stamps rep but he is not even the MOP of the west. That would be Harris or Reilly at this point.

Harris put up another 130 yards today. Great performance.

Reilly gives up INTs like they are candy has led the Esks to a very mediocre record despite having many weapons and being left in games to collect stats.

I don't think Harris is the best back in the West alone the MOP. Messam is a much better runner than he is.

Singleton is playing better than Elimimian when he won MOP as a defender, the Stamps defense has been dominant this year because of Singleton and there are no great offensive players this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad