The bust draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Hi. As a way to introduce myself to this board, I am going to hold the 1st ever "The Nemesis' HF/THN Bust Draft".

What is this "Bust Draft"? Well, In the June 2003 issue of The Hockey News, the team previews section contained a listing of each team's best and worst selections over the previous 10 years (1992 to 2002. Teams in the league for less than 10 years obviously only cover the period of their existence. Franchises that moved include the history of their former location). I've taken the "disappointing picks" list and combined all the players into a draft pool, with the intention that we hold a draft of those players (about 180 of them I think) taking into account what we know about how they all panned out. The list is not completely stocked with burn-outs and never-was players, it simply is a compilation of players taken far too early in the draft given how they had progressed as of 2003. The cutoff for the picks seems to be around the 50-60 mark, so we're pretty much talking nothing but 1st and 2nd rounders, with the occasional high 3rd thrown in. There are some solid players that were taken much too high, some decent players taken a bit too high, and quite a few total busts that probably shouldn't have been picked until much later, if at all. You can find info on all these players at www.hockeydb.com because I don't have the time to make write-ups for all of them.

You'll find a complete list of the eligible players, sorted alphabetically by last name, in the .doc file attached to this post.

If you'd like to sign up, please post in this thread with your chosen team. I will keep track of the participants and their teams in this post (I'll update the signup sheet below every so often). The draft will begin when we have enough participants (if I can't get 29 other people in a reasonable time frame, I'll open up the unselected teams to allow for multiple teams per participant.)

I will not be releasing the draft order until we're ready to begin. That way there's no strategic selection of teams based on the draft position. Rest assured that the order is already determined and it was done in an impartial, purely mathmatical manner, which will be explained when the time comes. And no, it is not just last year's draft order.

Here are the other basic rules:

1) when we start (I will post an official "commencement post" at that time), the clock starts for the first team. Each team will have two days from the time of the previous selection (rounded to the nearest hour) to make their selection and post it on this thread. At that time you should also PM the participant for the next team, so they can have fair warning. Obviously I can't monitor this, but it benefits everyone for this to be as smooth and fair a process as possible.

2) If you fail to make a selection in your allotted time, your pick is not forfeit. However, the teams behind you can continue the draft and make their selections. At any time, you can make up for your pick and choose someone, but you are at the mercy of those who bumped you back in the line. If they choose someone beacuse your clock expired, that player is unavailable to you and you must pick from those players who are left over at the time of your selection. Priority goes to earliest post time. If someone else picks while you're writing your post, you'll have to pick again if they took your player.

3) The initial plan is 3 rounds, ladder style (odd numbered rounds go in the draft order, even numbers go in reverse order.). If there's sufficient interest, I can extend it. The maximum is 6 rounds (because at that point we run out of players)

4) You may trade draft picks and drafted players with other participants. All parties involved in the trade must post their approval here. I will then post trade confirmation and update the draft board. If the active pick is traded, the clock resets for the new owner. You can, of course, trade picks as far as the 6th round, but know the risk that if we don't get that far (because of disinterest), those picks become meaningless.

If you want to participate, please post the team you wish to control. First come, first serve. If two participants claim the same team, I will PM both of you and give you two options: a) work jointly to draft for that team, or b) the earlier poster gets the team and the later one must choose again. The current sign-up sheet is listed below. I am taking San Jose. I will update this as necessary. Teams are listed alphabetically by city. THIS IS NOT THE DRAFT ORDER!

Anaheim-
Atlanta-
Boston-
Buffalo-
Calgary-
Carolina-
Chicago-
Colorado-
Columbus-
Dallas-
Detroit- Shelovesshanny
Edmonton-
Florida-
Los Angeles-
Minnesota-
Montreal- Cyclops
Nashville-
New Jersey- Morrison_rulz
NY Islanders-
NY Rangers-
Ottawa-
Philadelphia-
Phoenix-
Pittsburgh-
St. Louis-
San Jose- The Nemesis (me)
Tampa Bay- RandomCanuckFan
Toronto-
Vancouver- NeoCanuck
Washington-

Thanks for your time and good luck to all who enter. Questions and comments may be PMed to me or posted here.

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
thanks to the 3 of you who've signed up so far. Ideally, I'd like to do this with no less than 10 people, at which point if there was no more interest we could each control 3 teams. So spread the word if you know someone else who might be interested in particpating.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
shelovesshanny said:
I am guessing that we are trying to make the best team possible out of your list. :dunno:
Red Wings are now yours. And yes, that is the general idea. Since these all players that didn't live up to their draft position, I thought it might be fun to see how they'd be taken now that we know how they're turning out. So I guess it's a little more like a real draft in that you're selecting partially based on talent and partially based on potential (for the few players on that list that still have the possibility of developing).

espo*

Of course i want the habs.Give them to me please.I'll make sure we have the best damn team full of stiffs you can possibly imagine.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I have decided to get the ball rolling now. With this post, the draft is officially under way with the 6 current participants. Because of the smaller amount of people, I've extended the length of the draft. I've set us at 10 rounds to start with, be we can keep going as long as there's interest. With the greater length comes a couple of new wrinkles:

1) Trades are still in effect for picks and drafted players. Of course, it extends to 10 rounds instead of just 6, so there's more depth.

2) I'm altering the draft clock a little bit. The first three rounds will have a 48 hour window to make your pick. Rounds four onward will be 24 hours. The clock starts the moment the previous pick is announced (or for the first pick, the moment this message is posted). Times are rounded to the nearest hour, so this post will likely mean that the first pick has until Friday, April 22 at 1:00pm Pacific Standard Time.

Now, the draft order. I used took team point totals over the last 3 years and averaged them out to get the draft order. I would've used winning %, but that required more math. That said, the order is:

1) Montreal (averaged 85.667 points. 15th most in the league)
2) Tampa Bay (averaged 89.333 points. 14th most in the league)
3) San Jose (averaged 92 points. 11th most in the league)
4) Vancouver (averaged 99.667 points. 7th most in the leauge)
5) New Jersey (averaged 101 points. 5th most in the league)
6) Detroit (averaged 111.667 points. Most in the league)

If you want to use it, I've attached a .zip file containing the excel spreadsheet I used to calculate the point averages, as well as a full list of the players eligible for the draft, and a draft board that extends to 14 rounds (I just stopped arbitrarily)

I will be PMing everyone involved right after I post this so that you're all up to date at the same time. Good luck to everyone.

As of right now, Montreal (Cyclops) is on the clock for the first pick of the 3rd round (this has been edited and will stay current) You have until: Thursday, April 28th at 3:00PM Pacific Standard Time to make your selection. THE CLOCK ON THE FINAL PICK OF THE 2ND ROUND HAS EXPIRED. IF YOU DO NOT MAKE YOUR SELECTIONS BY THURSDAY, BOTH PICKS WILL BE BYPASSED AND THE DRAFT CAN CONTINUE ONWARDS.

This post will also be the draft board for the thread. Selections will be noted below this as they are made.

Round 1
--------
1) Montreal - Alexandre Daigle
2) Tampa Bay - Raffi Torres
3) San Jose - Pascal Leclaire
4) Vancouver - Marc Chouinard
5) New Jersey - Bryan Allen
6) Detroit - Tim Connolly

Round 2
--------
7) Detroit- Chris Gratton
8) New Jersey - Rob Neidermayer
9) Vancouver - Patrick DesRochers
10) San Jose - Patrik Stefan
11) Tampa Bay - Ric Jackman
12) Montreal -

Round 3
--------
13) Montreal -
14) Tampa Bay -
15) San Jose -
16) Vancouver -
17) New Jersey -
18) Detroit -

Last edited:

espo*

With the first selection in the 2005 bust draft montreal is proud to select hometown boy Alexandre Daigle.Fast,talented suave,good-looking and French speaking .We expect him to be the face of this francise for years to come.

Around Montreal he will be affectionately reffered to as "le Daigle"

Last edited by a moderator:

RandomCanuckFan

Jan 23, 2005
you know I almost died when I saw this guy's name on here...Tampa selects Raffi Torres

Was close between him and two others that I'm not ready to call busts yet

Tampa Bay Lightning
xxx - xxx - Raffi Torres
xxx - xxx - xxx

xxx - xxx
xxx - xxx

xxx

I got eleven spots on my roster just because I don't know my entire draft plan yet

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Yeah, Random, I know what you mean. There are several players that I had to laugh at being on a list of disappointments. I guess it's forgivable considering the list is around 2 years old (it's in the THN draft preview issue for the Fleury/Staal/Horton Draft), and at the time Torres was still a bit of a flop for the Isles.

Anyway, I'm up, so:

San Jose is proud to select goaltender Pascal Leclaire.

I couldn't pass up the opportunity to grab Leclaire. He's still got a lot of promise, and I wasn't terribly enthused with the other goalie prospects.

Vancouver (NeoCanuck) is on the clock.

RandomCanuckFan

Jan 23, 2005
ah, that would explain it a bit, didn't notice it was 2 years old (if you said that anywhere)

Leclaire was one of the guys I'd wanted as well

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I think I might have said something about the date in the first post. I can't remember, and I can't be bothered to read the whole thing right now.In retrospect, I probably should've done something to sort out the prospects by position or something. I'll admit right now that there are quite a few guys on the list that I have only heard of in passing, and it might get difficult to draft by position without having to search for each and every player's record on hockedb.com and check positions. Especially goalies. If I have the energy tonight, I'll fill in some more info and repost the excel file (maybe I'll put the original draft year and the position, or something.)

I'm also trying to think ahead to another draft after I finish this one. I'm toying with using the list that was partnered with the "disappointing picks". There was an "astute selections" list that had guys who were drafted well below where they should've been. The best part about this would be that since most of these guys would stil be in the NHL, I could hold the draft for a handful of teams, then use NHL 2005 to make those teams and pit them against one another in a tournament.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
shelovesshanny said:
im here. havent abandoned ship. just wanted to let you know.
Lol, ok. I hadn't figured anyone had bailed. You're up as soon as Morrison_rulz picks for New Jersey, or after 10pm PST on Friday, whichever comes first.

Since this is a ladder draft, you'll pick twice. Once as the 6th pick of round 1, then again as the 1st pick of round 2.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
shelovesshanny said:
With the 7th selection, the Washington Capitals are very pleased to select, Chris Gratton! :jump:
You must be doing more than one draft, because you're Detroit, not Washington :)

No worries though.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
After doing a little more research on the players in this draft pool, I've decided that I'll have to cut the draft off at the end of the 6th round. By this point we'll have selected 36 players, and that's about the limit for the number of players in the pool that have any sort of value. Honestly, 2/3 of the pool either played no games in the NHL, or played a very few games and made very little impact.

I seriously overestimated the scope that this player pool would be able to achieve. However, I am working on my next project, one that is easily much deeper and will provide a "better" overall feel in terms of the draft process itself. As I mentioned earlier, there was a second list partnered with the one that produced this draft pool. This second list, called "astute selections" lists some of the biggest steals in the draft between 92 and 2002. The best part is that there is around 190 players that are currently active in the NHL. After this draft wraps up, I will hold an 8 team draft to select complete teams of 20 players (18 skaters, 2 goalies) which will then compete in a tournament simulated with NHL 2005. Look for that thread after this one is done.

And NeoCanuck, you're still on the clock for the 2nd round. If you haven't picked by 5pm PST Sunday, I'll be making my selection (since San Jose is next), and the subsequent picks can go ahead as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad