The Business of the AHL

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Often times business related things come up and are posted to Fugu's Business of Hockey forum. Sometimes (days later) a similar thread gets posted in The AHL forum.

To help from duplicate threads, please post links to BOH threads that might have significant content related to AHL teams.

AHL and other minor sports leagues looking for US federal relief
This is from today... A number of non-NHL owned AHL franchises are joining forces with some ECHL and SPHL tams to lobby US legislature for covid relief as small businesses.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

I can imagine that league will require access to this for ASG tickets (unless venue contracts with specific organizations prohibit it). But some teams already have sale/resale agreements with ticket folks.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

I can imagine that league will require access to this for ASG tickets (unless venue contracts with specific organizations prohibit it). But some teams already have sale/resale agreements with ticket folks.
Even more incentive not to attend an ASG.

I almost went to Syracuse since my SIL lived 2 miles away. They sold tickets to seats that did not exist. I heard it was a real mess!

Gulls Watcher

Aug 1, 2016
Sun City, CA
What is it with all the oddities in the AHL. Till this season we had a unbalanced schedule of 76 games in all divisions but the Pacific Division with 68 game schedule, We finally have a balanced schedule with all club playing a 72 game schedule. Now we have an overcrowded Pacific Division with 10 clubs and other divisions with 7 or 8 teams. Which leads to 23 team playoffs. Isn't time to balance the division alignment with 8 clubs in each division to mimic the NHL. I propose a realignment for this reason and to reduce the playoffs to an even 16 or at the most 20 clubs. I suggest that they move Grand Rapids Griffins to the North Division and move both the Abbotsford Canucks and Calgary Wranglers to the Central Division. This would allow for greater competition between the Western Canadian Clubs when you add in the Manitoba Moose. Please let me know your thoughts.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The League has catered to the business practices of the Pacific Division owners from the outset of the Great Migration of 2015, with the Pacific being largely autonomous. Presumed reasons are many, but whatever the motivation I cannot see the current Pacific teams separating to accommodate imbalance in the rest of the AHL.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
What is it with all the oddities in the AHL. Till this season we had a unbalanced schedule of 76 games in all divisions but the Pacific Division with 68 game schedule, We finally have a balanced schedule with all club playing a 72 game schedule. Now we have an overcrowded Pacific Division with 10 clubs and other divisions with 7 or 8 teams. Which leads to 23 team playoffs. Isn't time to balance the division alignment with 8 clubs in each division to mimic the NHL. I propose a realignment for this reason and to reduce the playoffs to an even 16 or at the most 20 clubs. I suggest that they move Grand Rapids Griffins to the North Division and move both the Abbotsford Canucks and Calgary Wranglers to the Central Division. This would allow for greater competition between the Western Canadian Clubs when you add in the Manitoba Moose. Please let me know your thoughts.
Most, if not all of the Pacific Division teams, including San Diego, are owned outright by the NHL Affiliates, before Anaheim bought in to dual operations of owing and operating their affiliate..... I ask you would San Diego have been admitted to the AHL under private ownership..... remember, Arizona and Anaheim had been the holdouts there until St. Louis reversed to a sole affiliation when they sold their affiliate to Vancouver when the sole option was Chicago to affiliate

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
Most, if not all of the Pacific Division teams, including San Diego, are owned outright by the NHL Affiliates, before Anaheim bought in to dual operations of owing and operating their affiliate..... I ask you would San Diego have been admitted to the AHL under private ownership..... remember, Arizona and Anaheim had been the holdouts there until St. Louis reversed to a sole affiliation when they sold their affiliate to Vancouver when the sole option was Chicago to affiliate
As usual, your reply makes no sense. All of the original Pacific Division teams were owned by the NHL team at the time, and all still are with the exception of Colorado.

There are very few non NHL owned AHL teams at all remaining in the league.

Reactions: Roadhog

Gulls Watcher

Aug 1, 2016
Sun City, CA
At some point the owners in the Pacific Division have do what works to make the AHL successful and more like the NHL, which has do with the development of young talent. The closer the AHL can mimic the NHL the better. I would really like to see both Tucson and Colorado moved into the Central Division and then shifting Grand Rapids to the North Division. We finally have a uniform schedule for all AHL clubs with a 72 game schedule, next we need a uniform alignment with 8 clubs in each division and playoff structure with top four in division locking in a playoff spot. It's all for the good of game.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
At some point the owners in the Pacific Division have do what works to make the AHL successful and more like the NHL, which has do with the development of young talent. The closer the AHL can mimic the NHL the better. I would really like to see both Tucson and Colorado moved into the Central Division and then shifting Grand Rapids to the North Division. We finally have a uniform schedule for all AHL clubs with a 72 game schedule, next we need a uniform alignment with 8 clubs in each division and playoff structure with top four in division locking in a playoff spot. It's all for the good of game.
never was the goal for the Pacific Division, and it won't be happening realistically if those franchises expect to remain viable, you're already tied in to the NHL development-wise.... it'll be extremely hard for the Pacific to split through league by laws, GW, If nothing else, WHAT exactly does Grand Rapids have to do with the Pacific Division anyway..... since when is Detroit in the Pacific Time Zone as an affiliate, Colorado bought the Eagles outright.... as did Arizona w/ Tucson via Springfield

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
The problem with shiffting GR to the North is that you'd now have 2 outlier teams in the eastern conference in GR and Charlotte. While I agree there needs to be some sort of change, I don't know if that's it...yes I know Cleveland is about 4 hours east but...
Now the idea of Colorado and Tucson on the surface makes sense to alleviate the log jam in the west. Who knows what will happen, but I do know that until the AHL plays a schedule like the NHL there isn't going to be even balanced divisions because of cost.

never was the goal for the Pacific Division, and it won't be happening realistically if those franchises expect to remain viable, you're already tied in to the NHL development-wise.... it'll be extremely hard for the Pacific to split through league by laws, GW, If nothing else, WHAT exactly does Grand Rapids have to do with the Pacific Division anyway..... since when is Detroit in the Pacific Time Zone as an affiliate, Colorado bought the Eagles outright.... as did Arizona w/ Tucson via Springfield
What does this post have anything to do with what was said? Are you just posting to post?

Gulls Watcher

Aug 1, 2016
Sun City, CA
Here is what I know about the history of the formation of the Pacific Division. Originally, back in 2014 prior to the existence of the Pacific Division, eight and up to ten, NHL clubs from the Western Conference complained about the inconvenience of their AHL affiliates being located in the East. Therefore they threatened to remove their clubs from the AHL and form the new Pacific Coast Hockey League. In response the AHL formed the Pacific Division making it basically a league within the league. Thus, that was why the Pacific Division originally played a 68 game schedule. The Pacific Division teams originally were suppose to play only teams within the division. But since then have included more and more games against Central Division opponents. Therefore from its birth the Pacific Division has been given special care from the AHL league office. It may take several years till the Pacific Division is truly apart of the AHL rather than a league onto itself.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Here is what I know about the history of the formation of the Pacific Division. Originally, back in 2014 prior to the existence of the Pacific Division, eight and up to ten, NHL clubs from the Western Conference complained about the inconvenience of their AHL affiliates being located in the East. Therefore they threatened to remove their clubs from the AHL and form the new Pacific Coast Hockey League. In response the AHL formed the Pacific Division making it basically a league within the league. Thus, that was why the Pacific Division originally played a 68 game schedule. The Pacific Division teams originally were suppose to play only teams within the division. But since then have included more and more games against Central Division opponents. Therefore from its birth the Pacific Division has been given special care from the AHL league office. It may take several years till the Pacific Division is truly apart of the AHL rather than a league onto itself.
well before 2014 was that been discussed behind closed doors, GW.... IT WAS SAID up until then that was zero discussion about forming a separate league, nor forcing Anaheim and Arizona to follow the route of the existing division.... it wasn't reality until LA/SJ jumped aboard after years in Manchester and Worcester, which for the Sharks had begun in Kentuckt, then Cleveland, which is why Gilbert owns that team outright after acquiring it from Utah after the expansion to 27 in 2001, and why the IHL essentially collapsed despite what Fort Wayne tried to recreate the league twice before settling for the ECHL.... IT was also said had it not been announced before 2014.... it would've been done by the end of the decade, because in essence it ended the AHL involvement permanently in Portland, since Springfield was sold to Arizona, what is now Tucson, at the expense of ownership and the Panthers' Affiliation in 2015, which is why the Blues gave up on Worcester originally after the independent rule was abolished in the late 1990s, after watching Baltimore/Binghamton be totally non-competitive, which is why the AHL insists now upon admission an NHL Affiliation be automatic.... not as much in the ECHL where u can get away with that for a season of two....

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Please stop saying that Colorado bought the Eagles. It's simply not true. Martin Lind owns the AHL Eagles.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
But he always knows what time it is in that realm ...
since when has the State of Missouri ever had an AHL Pro franchise recently w/ a Western Conference affiliation since the creation of the Pacific Division JMC? Can you adequately explain that with out the driveby postings which has nothing to add to the topic, thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad