Line Combos: The bottom six problem

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I know he gets brought up a lot because he’s a St. Louis guy, but as a rental (think he makes 1.5 mil), Patrick Maroon could be a middle 6 winger that might help the anemic PP.

Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Stastny-Steen
Maroon-Berglund-Blais
Upshall-Brodziak-Jaskin

I admit Thorburn has actually played well in the very recent past but I like that lineup a lot more.

With Edmonton falling out of the race, the cost probably isn’t that high for a pending UFA.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I know he gets brought up a lot because he’s a St. Louis guy, but as a rental (think he makes 1.5 mil), Patrick Maroon could be a middle 6 winger that might help the anemic PP.

Sobotka-Stastny-Steen
Maroon-Berglund-Blais
Upshall-Brodziak-Jaskin

I admit Thorburn has actually played well in the very recent past but I like that lineup a lot more.

With Edmonton falling out of the race, the cost probably isn’t that high for a pending UFA.

He would be a good fit on that line. I'm not sure if they'd accept but I think our abundance of prospects on defense makes Gunnarsson expendable for a trade and Edmonton certainly needs help on the blue line this year.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Depth is cheap and there are always options to be exploited. Think about how little interest players like vanek and vrbata garnered last season. Just need to find today's equivalent.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
I think thatMaroon will be a waste of Picks/Prospects. If he struggled with the :ducks on the 3rd line and has shown the same thing with the :edmonton when they move him off the first 2 lines I dont trust him to be better here. Personally, I dont want him anywhere near the :blues. I'de rather wait a few weeks with Bergie back and then look to make moves with our AHL talent. TT could be ready for another stint in the NHL by mid-late December.
In 17 games:
GPGAPTS+/-PIM
2017-18 Regular Season76133
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Steen-Stastny-SOMEBODY
Sobotka-Berglund-Jaskin
4th-line
The Defense
Goalies

That's a damn good team. Just think if we had Fabbri and Sanford to push Jaskin down with Upshall/Brodziak/Sundqvist?

Dare I say, a healthy Fabbri in the gaping hole on the top-6 makes this team a legitimate Cup contender. If we can fill that spot with some actual, top-6 talent at the deadline (no small ask) I'd take my chances in the playoffs with that.

The 3rd line suddenly doesn't look so problematic.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
He would be a good fit on that line. I'm not sure if they'd accept but I think our abundance of prospects on defense makes Gunnarsson expendable for a trade and Edmonton certainly needs help on the blue line this year.

I don't want to target Maroon because I think there is a good chance he is a product of McDavid and would only be good for a p>

With that said, Edmonton has no need for Gunnar. They need help in the top 4, not with depth. They also already have 4 D set to make $4 mil next year, Nurse is an RFA and they will be up against the cap ($14 mil to fill 10 roster spots, including 4-5 top 9 forwards). Gunnar's deal handcuffs them next year as much or more than his presence on the blue line helps and they desperately need to allocate cap space to improving the forwards around McDavid and Drai.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Steen-Stastny-SOMEBODY
Sobotka-Berglund-Jaskin
4th-line
The Defense
Goalies

That's a damn good team. Just think if we had Fabbri and Sanford to push Jaskin down with Upshall/Brodziak/Sundqvist?

Dare I say, a healthy Fabbri in the gaping hole on the top-6 makes this team a legitimate Cup contender. If we can fill that spot with some actual, top-6 talent at the deadline (no small ask) I'd take my chances in the playoffs with that.

The 3rd line suddenly doesn't look so problematic.

Until he proves otherwise, I think Jaskin is a better 3rd liner than Sanford. Sanford is better from a production standpoint, but Jaskin is better at every other aspect of the game and the gap offensively isn't that large IMO. I agree about the rest though. I don't think we even need a legit top 6 talent. We just need a middle 6er who can be a moderately effective passenger with Steen and Stasnty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad