Line Combos: The bottom six problem

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Right now I feel like our bottom six is basically just two 4th lines. There are several players that I like out of these players but I like them in a 4th line role only. I am not sure exactly how to fix this problem. One thing I would consider is bringing back up Barbashev, I know he disappointed early in the season but he has shown that he can score at the NHL level. Beyond that I am not sure how to fix this problem, I would prefer to keep our younger prospects down in the AHL to let them continue to develop properly. So I turn to you, HFBlues, what should we do about our bottom six problem.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Get Berglund back, stop playing Thorburn and reevaluate in 10 games. Most likely will need to bring in a guy. Bottom 6 guy should be cheap

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
promote them?

Sundqvist-Stastny-Upshall
Steen-Sobotka-Jaskin
Pay.R.Vee-Brodziak-Thorburn
Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko

we'd finally get the bottom-6 production you're seeking, at least from the 4th line.

Did you even read what I said, I actually have been happy with our 4th line, both of them, this is more about trying to create a 3rd line for this team.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Get Berglund back, stop playing Thorburn and reevaluate in 10 games. Most likely will need to bring in a guy. Bottom 6 guy should be cheap

I do agree that Berglund is going to be a big add back to team. I also wouldn't mind putting him on the 2nd line RW and playing Sobotka at 3C to help with our faceoff percentage.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Berglund's return will help things a lot. If Barbashev returns to form, this will also give us more options. The more I play around with line combinations, the more I'm convinced we are basically I piece short in the puzzle box. We need another C or RW. Another 1 or 2C will allow us to move Schenn to wing. I know a lot of people will disagree, but I'm still not convinced he is a true C, and I don't know if his play at that position so far is sustainable. If we get a RW, we can keep Schenn at C, keep Steen on the L, where he plays better, and move Sobotka to the 3rd line. This brings me to another unpopular opinion. I don't think Sobotka is a true top 6 player. He has been asked to play in that role, and to his credit, has performed well. Once again, I don't think Sobotka in the top 6 is sustainable. He can fill in there, when needed, as can Berglund, but ideally both are better used on the 3rd line. Just my 2 cents.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Once Berglund gets back you could run

Sobotka-Berglund-Jaskin
Upshall-Brodz-Sundqvist

Which isn’t terrible, it’s not great, but it’s not as bad as what we’ve got going now. Thorburn just shouldn’t play another game. I have no idea why he keeps drawing into the lineup. But as far as in-house options go, I’m not sure what could be done outside of bringing someone up. Going out and snagging someone like Grabner would be my ideal move.

Schwartz-Schenn-Vlad
Steen-Stastny-Grabner/trade
Sobotka-Berglund-Jaskin

Is just much better than what they’ve got going on now. Getting a legitimate 2RW would help this team immensely.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Berglund's return will help things a lot. If Barbashev returns to form, this will also give us more options. The more I play around with line combinations, the more I'm convinced we are basically I piece short in the puzzle box. We need another C or RW. Another 1 or 2C will allow us to move Schenn to wing. I know a lot of people will disagree, but I'm still not convinced he is a true C, and I don't know if his play at that position so far is sustainable. If we get a RW, we can keep Schenn at C, keep Steen on the L, where he plays better, and move Sobotka to the 3rd line. This brings me to another unpopular opinion. I don't think Sobotka is a true top 6 player. He has been asked to play in that role, and to his credit, has performed well. Once again, I don't think Sobotka in the top 6 is sustainable. He can fill in there, when needed, as can Berglund, but ideally both are better used on the 3rd line. Just my 2 cents.

I disagree with Schenn, I feel like he is most comfortable at center and it is working well so far so reason to change it. I do agree with you on Sobotka though. I feel as though he is being misused this season. The guy was one of the best on the dot the year before he left but we refuse to play him in the middle. I don't have problem with him sliding into the top 6 for injury reason but when healthy there is no reason he should be there long term. He is the quintessential 3C in the NHL.

With us making no moves for outside help I would like to see these lines upon Berglund's return.

Schwartz - Schenn - Tarasenko
Steen - Stastny - Berglund
Barbashev - Sobotka - Jaskin
Upshall - Brodziak - Sundqvist

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I dont expect Schenn to score 95pts but seriously wtf does this guy have to do? I havn't seen any repeating deficiencies that says he cant play center. I didn't think he'd work out but there's no reason to put him back to wing. Especially when this is something he wanted. Talk about a kick to the balls.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I disagree with Schenn, I feel like he is most comfortable at center and it is working well so far so reason to change it. I do agree with you on Sobotka though. I feel as though he is being misused this season. The guy was one of the best on the dot the year before he left but we refuse to play him in the middle. I don't have problem with him sliding into the top 6 for injury reason but when healthy there is no reason he should be there long term. He is the quintessential 3C in the NHL.

With us making no moves for outside help I would like to see these lines upon Berglund's return.

I like your lines here, but if Barbashev returns to form I would switch him and Berglund. I just think Berglund is better on the left. I'm glad you agree that he can fill in on the top 6 though.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I dont expect Schenn to score 95pts but seriously wtf does this guy have to do? I havn't seen any repeating deficiencies that says he cant play center. I didn't think he'd work out but there's no reason to put him back to wing. Especially when this is something he wanted. Talk about a kick to the balls.
Maybe my post was badly worded. I don't mean to criticize Schenn's play, he has performed admirably as a C so far. I just think he would be even better at RW, as it is a position he is used to, and it carries a different set of responsibilities, ones that I think are more suited to his style of play.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

I’m cool with those lines, the only thing I’ll say is, I don’t think the Blues as an organization see Sobotka as a center anymore. I do like Berglund on the RW if they’re not looking outside the organization.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Schenn is a center. And he's the Blues best center this season. Schwartz and/or Tank make a lot of guys look good, but he hasn't made his other centers look this good before.

If you could subtract the Flyers fans oft-repeated tropes, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

The Blues need a skilled right-hand shot in the Top 6.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Maybe my post was badly worded. I don't mean to criticize Schenn's play, he has performed admirably as a C so far. I just think he would be even better at RW, as it is a position he is used to, and it carries a different set of responsibilities, ones that I think are more suited to his style of play.
Why though? He's been invovled in both ends of the ice. He does the job well. He has a bleh FO%, but thats a Blues issue. He seems to win a FO when they need it though.

Edit: on NHL they talked about Schenn and how he never felt comfortable on wing. He always viewed himself as a natual center. Also mentioned how grateful he was for Stl giving him his oppertunity at center. #dontkickSchennintheballs

Last edited:

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I wouldn't mind giving Thompson another shot. Maybe put him on a line with Sobotka and Stastny. I've liked Sobotka's vision in the past few games, he's made some really nice passes through the middle to find an open man. Imagine if that was Thompson winding up for a one timer as opposed to Steen who would just fumble it or Stastny who would just get stopped by the goalie.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I feel like everyone is completely writing barbashev off for the rest of the year.

I’d be very surprised if barbashev, berglund and maybe even Blais end up as our 3rd line by January or earlier.

Only thing hurting Blais is that PRV, thorburn and jaskin would have to pass through waivers to make room. Tho I think sundqvist is waiver exempt.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I feel like everyone is completely writing barbashev off for the rest of the year.

I’d be very surprised if barbashev, berglund and maybe even Blais end up as our 3rd line by January or earlier.

Only thing hurting Blais is that PRV, thorburn and jaskin would have to pass through waivers to make room. Tho I think sundqvist is waiver exempt.
Sundqvist is not waiver exempt. No ones going take Thorburn. Put Jaskin on the 4th, sit Paajarvi. The thing that hurt Blais was his poor play, he's not a product of too many players

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
Schwartz Schenn Tarasenko
Sobotka Stastny xxxxx
Steen Berglund xxxxx
Upshall Brodziak Sundquist(Paajarvi?)

Jaskin/Thompson/some other rookie for the 2 spots on the right. Not pretty either way, but get Steen less minutes and someone to sit in front of a net for sobotka and staz and I think it's an okay plan.

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
I only have a bottom 6 problem when I drink a lot...
3or3xl.jpg

For real though it will get better when they call up some young blood and get Bergy back. Its the way this team is built right now. the bottom half except for 9/28 are easily replaced for me. I would rather see Blais and BBshv get real ice time in the bottom 6 than the same 4 poor producers. I think it would also yield better results than the 4 playing everyday now. Or at the very least it would be worse production...

with Bergy back we sit with:

17/10/91
20/26/21
blais/71/49
9/28/23

56/22/70* can give rest to the rest

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Get Berglund back.
Waive Thorburn.
Recall Barbashev and one of the kids.

Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko
Steen-Stastny-Tage/Kostin/Blais
Sobotka-Barbashev-Berglund
Upshall-Brodziak-Jaskin/Sundqvist/Paajarvi

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
I think at some point, a trade needs to be looked into. Someone like a Hartnell (I know it wont be him) type of player should be acquired.

Berglund coming back is going to be a nice boost, but chances are this will just replace soby on the 2nd line. If we can get a 3rd line of soby-barbashev/paarvji and a trade replacement, i like that line alot.

the fabbri injury really hurts this situation

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Panger had a 1 on 1 with DA. Nothing to revealing but I get the sense he wants to get Bergy back and see how things go, which makes sense.

Reactions: Mike Liut

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Some targets that the Blues should look into. Ofcourse, I havent looked at salaries but that can always be addressed later.

James Neal
Tomas Plekanec
Ryan Strome
Evander Kane
Joel Ward

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Some targets that the Blues should look into. Ofcourse, I havent looked at salaries but that can always be addressed later.

James Neal
Tomas Plekanec
Ryan Strome
Evander Kane
Joel Ward

Neal would be my go to in this scenario, followed by Ward. Kane would be interesting but I don’t think Army would want him because of his character flaws.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad