The Bottom 9

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Despite what he brings in "intangibles", tangibly he has been terrible. There has been quite a bit of data mining lately on Neil's background numbers, they are very bad this season. He really has been dragging down his linemates in possession metrics.

Weird being that guy, but I'm not at all into metrics when it come to hockey, makes my eyes glaze over when y'all start talking about corsi and crap. There are sooooooo many immeasurable aspects as to render the stats next to useless in my opinion.

To me, Neil's value is plain to see when you watch him play. No metric is going to measure it, but your eyes can.

I hate that I have to defend our longest serving, and largest hearted player to so called fans. The lack of loyalty towards our players as fans is baffling to me, I wonder if it's a age thing. To me it means you're missing half the point, and half the enjoyment of being a fan of a team.

Whatever, perhaps it's just me now...

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Could you imagine the field day that a healthy Spezza would have against 3rd pairings and 3rd/4th line attention? Huehuehue.

Could be our secret weapon if only the coaching staffs' of other teams knew how terrible Spezza actually was...

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Weird being that guy, but I'm not at all into metrics when it come to hockey, makes my eyes glaze over when y'all start talking about corsi and crap. There are sooooooo many immeasurable aspects as to render the stats next to useless in my opinion.

To me, Neil's value is plain to see when you watch him play. No metric is going to measure it, but your eyes can.

I hate that I have to defend our longest serving, and largest hearted player to so called fans. The lack of loyalty towards our players as fans is baffling to me, I wonder if it's a age thing. To me it means you're missing half the point, and half the enjoyment of being a fan of a team.

Whatever, perhaps it's just me now...

Amen. Corsi is so often misused. Remember, it was a stat developed to examine a GOALIES night.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Amen. Corsi is so often misused. Remember, it was a stat developed to examine a GOALIES night.

Corsi is ok, as long as you understand the limitations. I usually object most when people refer to this stuff as "advanced stats" because to be blunt a monkey with an abacus can count things. It is a performance metric that is pretty good at picking up long term trends but not as good as predicting short sample items such as which team will win a particular playoff series. That is where the intangibles come in to play.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I would like to see BM find a way to acquire Tomas Fleischmann out of Florida & create another good scoring line. Fleischmann is a scoring LWer who shouldn't cost that much to acquire & has an affordable contract with another yr on it.

Fleischmann - Spezza - Stone
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Conacher - Zibanejad - Michalek
Greening - Z. Smith - Neil/Kassian

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Could be our secret weapon if only the coaching staffs' of other teams knew how terrible Spezza actually was...

They clearly haven't caught on yet considering Spezza has faced the toughest competition of any player on the team in road games this year. Someone should call them -- I nominate blahblah3 or Dizimal personally.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
They clearly haven't caught on yet considering Spezza has faced the toughest competition of any player on the team in road games this year. Someone should call them -- I nominate blahblah3 or Dizimal personally.

Nah im pefectly happy seeing Spezza play against the guys he is. If he is as good as he is supposed to be thats who should be getting that match up. Plus easyer competion for zibby and turris is a good thing.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
A big part of the problem here was that our bottom 6 were absolutely horrendous to start the year.

That is so unfair, the whole team sucked to start the yr specifically Anderson in net & our defense were every bit as bad as our forwards. The Turris line has been the only consistent line all yr. Wasn't it PM who said Smith has been his best forward all yr? Bottom six guy & the amount of time Smith, Greening & Neil get indicates to me the coaching staff trust them the most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad